This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Question About Alcohol

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

I think I posted this earlier this year but can't find the post right now... either way, anyone know which alcohol is safe to drink for intolerances to gluten, dairy, soy, and egg (and preferably without corn as well though not necessary)... and what mixers for that matter...

been about 7 months too long since I last drank and that was the only time I drank since avoiding dairy, soy, etc. in addition to gluten... I should be able to drink vodka and cranberry, right? I know the disputes about vodka and it being distilled from grain, but I would think I should at least be fine with Chopin (the potato vodka, right?) or something like that.. there isn't any casein or soy (or eggs for that matter) hiding in vodka, right? what about soco (southern comfort), is that okay? and all plain juices should be fine to mix with, right?

and I'm pretty sure Heineken's not on the safe list, but I figured I'd check anyway :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I drink Seagram's 7 & and 7-up most of the time and have never had an issue. Potato Vodka is safe but you need to read the ingred. on your juices.

For beer, try "New Grist" it is gluten free. As never been a fan of beer in the past, I am no judge to it's quality. Anheiser Bush is comming out with a gluten free beer in the near future... we'll see.

Guhlia Rising Star

Anhueser-Busch's new beer is called Red Bridge. It's great. However, if you're avoiding corn it probably is out of the question for you as it's cut with corn. I think Bard's Tale is corn free.

burdee Enthusiast

If you have casein and egg sensitivities, definitely avoid wines and even nonalcoholic wines. Manufacturers of red wines use egg whites to 'clear' or 'fine' the wines. White wine manufacturers may use skim milk or casein proteins to fine their wines. Even nonalcoholic winemakers like Ariel report that they use egg whites as 'an industry standard'. A few wineries may use inorganic substances or even gel, but the fining agent varies from winery to winery. Since alcoholic beverage manufacturers do not abide by the food labeling act, they can use whatever they want without revealing the sources or their ingredients on the labels.

BURDEE

Mtndog Collaborator

I like Chopin (potato vodka) and tonic or juice (like a vodka martini). Ocean Spary Cranberry is fine. If you want to drink vodka, avoid Smirnoff- it's corn based.

Bard's tale Ale is great and is easier to find than it used to be.

ajay Newbie
I think I posted this earlier this year but can't find the post right now... either way, anyone know which alcohol is safe to drink for intolerances to gluten, dairy, soy, and egg (and preferably without corn as well though not necessary)... and what mixers for that matter...

been about 7 months too long since I last drank and that was the only time I drank since avoiding dairy, soy, etc. in addition to gluten... I should be able to drink vodka and cranberry, right?

and I'm pretty sure Heineken's not on the safe list, but I figured I'd check anyway :D

If you are avaioding corn, note that most "cranberry juice cocktails" have corn syrup in them. You won't be able to get a cape codder/cosmopolitan/vodka & cranberry at a bar, but you can mix your own at home with a corn-free cranberry juice (an all-juice blend or something. not your typical Ocean Spray)

I haven't had any problems with Chopin. I make my own simple syrup & sour mix when I'm inspired.

Sandyo Apprentice
I like Chopin (potato vodka) and tonic or juice (like a vodka martini). Ocean Spary Cranberry is fine. If you want to drink vodka, avoid Smirnoff- it's corn based.

So is Smirnoff Vodka gluten free? Or is Chopin the only gluten free vodka?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lorka150 Collaborator
If you have casein and egg sensitivities, definitely avoid wines and even nonalcoholic wines. Manufacturers of red wines use egg whites to 'clear' or 'fine' the wines. White wine manufacturers may use skim milk or casein proteins to fine their wines. Even nonalcoholic winemakers like Ariel report that they use egg whites as 'an industry standard'. A few wineries may use inorganic substances or even gel, but the fining agent varies from winery to winery. Since alcoholic beverage manufacturers do not abide by the food labeling act, they can use whatever they want without revealing the sources or their ingredients on the labels.

BURDEE

i am also casein and egg (and sulphite) free, and have seeked out vegan organic wines. you might be able to find those.

Mtndog Collaborator
If you are avaioding corn, note that most "cranberry juice cocktails" have corn syrup in them. You won't be able to get a cape codder/cosmopolitan/vodka & cranberry at a bar, but you can mix your own at home with a corn-free cranberry juice (an all-juice blend or something. not your typical Ocean Spray)

I haven't had any problems with Chopin. I make my own simple syrup & sour mix when I'm inspired.

Technically, all vodka is gluten-free as are many other grain-based alcohols (except beer) because the gluten protein is distilled out in the distillation process, but many people chose not to drink any grain-based alcohols anyway. I'm one of them.

Yes- Smirnoff is gluten-free (corn) as is Chopin (potato) and Ciroc (grape). Most people are fine with any vodkas, but I'm super-sensitive so I stick with Smirnoff and Chopin.

I saw on their website that their beer is sold at a number of places by me... do you know if the beer is free of casein, soy, and eggs in addition to corn and gluten? it appears to be from checking on their website but I'm not sure.. I contacted them to find out but don't know if they'll answer the email before tomorrow afternoon

also, any advice on what to drink at a bar to avoid all the allergens I listed (gluten, casein, soy, egg, and corn if possible)??? I'm guessing corn is probably the most difficult as sodas have corn syrup, right? and if some juices do as well, then I'll probably just take my chances at a bar with corn... but I'd really like to avoid the other allergens so what's safest to order at a bar? vodka and cranberry a decent choice? is seagram's 7 & 7 okay for the casein and soy in addition to gluten? soco and lime okay? any advice is appreciated...

happygirl Collaborator

Clark-

You could look into vegan wines (i.e., they won't have eggs, casein, etc.). I discovered them this summer/fall as I was reacting to multiple foods. Open Original Shared Link has a list. Most are "specialty" wines, but are some that are mainstream, including some of the yellowtails. That being said---I don't know if they use corn as processors. I stopped drinking wine by the time I was reacting to corn. Not sure if you have seen this list for corn-but it was extremely helpful to me when I was reacting to corn Open Original Shared Link. as well as Open Original Shared Link. Most cranberry juices have corn in them. When I was corn free, I was drinking only juices that were on one of the above lists. They say that potato vodka is safe.

Good luck,

Laura

Mtndog Collaborator
also, any advice on what to drink at a bar to avoid all the allergens I listed (gluten, casein, soy, egg, and corn if possible)??? I'm guessing corn is probably the most difficult as sodas have corn syrup, right? and if some juices do as well, then I'll probably just take my chances at a bar with corn... but I'd really like to avoid the other allergens so what's safest to order at a bar? vodka and cranberry a decent choice? is seagram's 7 & 7 okay for the casein and soy in addition to gluten? soco and lime okay? any advice is appreciated...

At a bar, I would maybe go with vodka and tonic water- casein shouldn't be a problem, soy and egg shouldn't either. I don't know about all tonic waters, but I know Polar has corn syrup but their DIET tonic water does not.What about a diet soda and Jack or SoCo. I think if you stay away from sweet beverages, you'll encounter less corn.

I read on the Bard's tale website that it has sorghum, buckwheat, corn, honey, hops and gluten-free brewer’s yeast.

Archived