This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Piece O'cake Bakery

StrongerToday

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I was reading my Living Without, and they make reference to a bakery w/ gluten-free treats called A Piece O'Cake in East Lansing. Anyone ever heard of it or been there? My brother lives there, I'm sure he accept a mission to go purchase some goodies!!

Holy cow! I just went to their website Open Original Shared Link and for a mere $75 you can get a dozen gluten-free cookies. Are they gold plated? (Would they still be gluten-free then??? :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

Are you sure that wasn't a typo?

StrongerToday Enthusiast
Are you sure that wasn't a typo?

That's what's on their web site!! :blink:

mommida Enthusiast

I finally got the website to work.

Doesn't look like a typo at all compared to the rest of the items. 12 Twinkies for $21!! A seven inch double layer cake for $45.

I don't have anything nice to say at the moment.

L.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

Wow what a bargain for the cookies! Are they going to fly them to me on a lear jet, and then hand feed them to me while dabbing the corners of my mouth to make sure I enjoy each tiny crumb!

I'm not one to complain about prices, but that is just insane.

mamaw Community Regular

WHOLLY COW!!!! They must be crazy.... I think The gluten free trading company also sells a cookie (decorated) for something like $4.00 a piece. I forget the name of the place.I asked them if the price was a typo in their flyer......Gotta be awful hungary for a cookie for that price.

I wonder if they sell any?Maybe they would do a sampling at a group meeting???!!!!!!!

mamaw

mcoop911 Newbie

The website for the Piece of Cake bakery in East Lansing Michigan lists regular cookies at $20.00 per batch which is about 2 dozen. The quite beautiful holiday cookies were the very costly ones shown on the website. Their list of items seems quite extensive and rather reasonable to me. The bread is $17.00 for 4 loaves which is less costly than buying Pamela's mix which at my grocery is about $4.99 per bag/loaf.

I'm interested in trying their pie shells, etc as they ship and are even willing to do dairy-free or other special requests.

We need to support bakeries like these as they seem to support our dietary needs. (And we should try to quote prices accurately)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

I just went to their website. beautiful bakery goodies...I think this is a special occassion bakery at least for me.... Has anyone actually tried their food stuff? I've bought some lovely bakery items before & they tasted horrible so for me I would have to have someone say wow, this place rocks.!! On that note if anybody tries this place please post your thoughts....

The bread is small loaves & that price isn't too extreme...

Most stuff that is gluten-free & excellent is pricey but when the post came in about the cookie price that floored me. The holiday cookies are pretty but that price is just crazy.

mamaw

StrongerToday Enthusiast

We absolutely do need to support a bakery, hopefully an every-day type cookie will have an every-day price. I'll contact my brother (who lives in E. Lansing) and see if he can swing by and get some goodies next time he's coming to visit.

sweetie101282 Apprentice

Well today is your lucky day, because I had the Gluten Free pleasure of working at A Piece O Cake once upon a time...

APOC is actually a wedding cake business - mainstream upscale wedding cakes...HOWEVER - The owner, Linda, found out she had Celiac Disease and so they found a small niche doing some gluten-free baking. It's ONLY by special order, orders must be received by (this may have changed, call them to verify) Noon tuesday to be available for pickup on Wednesday. They don't have a bakery case for walk-in sales so don't waste the trip if you don't have your order already placed...

Their bread is some of the best gluten-free bread you can get (Moist, airy, EXCELLENT just baked; but keep refrigerated for extended shelf life), however it's baked in small loaves (which is why you get 4). They base everything by the batch (i.e. - I batch of dough could be split into 2 small loaves of bread and 18 or so breadsticks (I recommend the garlic cheese, omg yummy)). Their cookies taste truly authentic to non gluten-free - snickerdoodles, choc chip, pb....very delicious.

On another note, the highly sensitive should exercise a little caution because this is a shared facility -gluten-ey :rolleyes: wedding cakes are also baked there. But I know when I was there keeping the gluten-free supplies/mixers/pans etc separate and clean from the other supplies was very important.

On a final note; Yes, their cakes are expensive...but you have to realize you're ordering cakes from a high-end cake shop. They're used to getting upwards of $15 an hour just to decorate a regular birthday cake! But they realized that gluten-free people aren't the same type of clientele that they normally deal with so they actually did cut the price down on the gluten-free cakes. With that being said....I have no comment on the $75 cookie tray... ;-)

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

mtdawber Apprentice

For $75 should be served on a gold plate....LOL

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Sweetie - that's good information... thanks for sharing. Guess I'll have my brother place an order for the bread sticks and get them for his next visit... already drooling!! :P

jkmunchkin Rising Star
Well today is your lucky day, because I had the Gluten Free pleasure of working at A Piece O Cake once upon a time...

APOC is actually a wedding cake business - mainstream upscale wedding cakes...HOWEVER - The owner, Linda, found out she had Celiac Disease and so they found a small niche doing some gluten-free baking. It's ONLY by special order, orders must be received by (this may have changed, call them to verify) Noon tuesday to be available for pickup on Wednesday. They don't have a bakery case for walk-in sales so don't waste the trip if you don't have your order already placed...

Their bread is some of the best gluten-free bread you can get (Moist, airy, EXCELLENT just baked; but keep refrigerated for extended shelf life), however it's baked in small loaves (which is why you get 4). They base everything by the batch (i.e. - I batch of dough could be split into 2 small loaves of bread and 18 or so breadsticks (I recommend the garlic cheese, omg yummy)). Their cookies taste truly authentic to non gluten-free - snickerdoodles, choc chip, pb....very delicious.

On another note, the highly sensitive should exercise a little caution because this is a shared facility -gluten-ey :rolleyes: wedding cakes are also baked there. But I know when I was there keeping the gluten-free supplies/mixers/pans etc separate and clean from the other supplies was very important.

On a final note; Yes, their cakes are expensive...but you have to realize you're ordering cakes from a high-end cake shop. They're used to getting upwards of $15 an hour just to decorate a regular birthday cake! But they realized that gluten-free people aren't the same type of clientele that they normally deal with so they actually did cut the price down on the gluten-free cakes. With that being said....I have no comment on the $75 cookie tray... ;-)

If you have any other questions, please let me know!

WOW!! Thanks for this info. I think you may actually have talked me into ordering some stuff. Garlic cheese bread... mmmmm!!!

How are the twinkies? I'm not a huge cookie person, but I wouldn't mind a twinkie.

sweetie101282 Apprentice

Actually, the twinkies were added after I left last Dec., I haven't had the pleasure of trying them..according to Linda they're awesome. (If you'd like a sneak-peek of their goodies, Linda and Stan are the hospitality hosts of the Michigan Capitol Celiac Support Group; which means they often bring something to share at the monthly meeting (I think it's the last tuesday of the month)). You could probably call APOC to find out the next meeting date, should be around Jan 23rd. 517 333 6881.

suebny Rookie
Actually, the twinkies were added after I left last Dec., I haven't had the pleasure of trying them..according to Linda they're awesome. (If you'd like a sneak-peek of their goodies, Linda and Stan are the hospitality hosts of the Michigan Capitol Celiac Support Group; which means they often bring something to share at the monthly meeting (I think it's the last tuesday of the month)). You could probably call APOC to find out the next meeting date, should be around Jan 23rd. 517 333 6881.
kaf Newbie

I am new to this forum. My father was diagnosed in August with celiac and my nephew (10) in december. My IGg's are elevated for wheat as are my 8 year old son's (Dec 06). For 2 years I have limited my wheat comsumption. This brings my to a Piece O Cake. I live in east lansing and purchased twinkies in the fall to send to my father and happened to buy some to try in the car. They are phenomenal. My entire family loves them including the total wheat eaters. You would not know that they are gluten free. She seems to have really perfected her sweets.

Her chocolate bars are amazing as well. They have marshmallow in them and are great. I would rather pay to get great quality and taste then get something that is not so good. I have never been disappointed by anthing she has. The twinkies also freeze well- experience speaking!!!

mamaw Community Regular

Thanks for the heads up on the twinkies..... I have made my own so I'm not sure if I will try them but the garlic cheese bread sounded sooo good.

It took them a week to answer my e-mail & in the end they said if I wanted to order phone them..They will not ship the pie crust. They stated they use dry ice for shipping. This is actually the first place I have seen that uses dry ice. usually it is the cold packs... & I like them better as dry ice can leak onto the food if it is not secured in wrapping or the food stuff is wrapped to prevent accidents.

The site also says shipping is like $15.00 but they didn't say how much would fit in a box or the size of the box. I asked that in my e-mail but did not get an answer. If I'm paying big bucks for shipping I certainly want to make sure that box is filled -up.When I've ordered from other places they always stated what could fit in the box for example: 3 breads 2 muffins 1 box cookies.

Anyway its nice to know better & better grade products are appearing...

mamaw

Archived