This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Date Squares

mtdawber

mtdawber Apprentice

Date Squares are my absolute favorite in the whole world. I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago and am struggling with gluten-free. Does anyone have a good gluten-free recipe for Date Squares..... I am desparate... :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Equal parts dates and raw walnuts. Process together until you have tiny pieces, but not mush. Press into pan, or make into balls. Keep in frig if you make a lot.

Viola 1 Rookie

My favourite is 'thin sliced almonds' you can buy them in any grocery store. Crush them in the bag before you open them, then substitute for oatmeal.

It's the same texture, and non Celiacs say they taste even better.

Also a good source of iron!

:P Good luck with that!

jerseyangel Proficient
My favourite is 'thin sliced almonds' you can buy them in any grocery store. Crush them in the bag before you open them, then substitute for oatmeal.

It's the same texture, and non Celiacs say they taste even better.

Also a good source of iron!

:P Good luck with that!

:D Shirley--that's so funny--I use the sliced almonds for everything!

I've not used them for an oatmeal substitute, though. Can you use it for a cereal or just in recipes?

Viola 1 Rookie

You can certainly mix it with a dry cereal, or even a hot cereal to add vitamins and minerals and best of all, flavour, but I expect it would be far too expensive to use as a cereal, and it wouldn't stick together as hot cereal does.

I use them in date nut balls as well

Use a regular date square recipe, but instead of putting it in layers, mix it all together, roll into little balls and roll in coconut. You can brown in the oven, but this will flatten them somewhat. As everything is already cooked, you can just pop them in your mouth :P

jerseyangel Proficient

Yum! :D

mtdawber Apprentice

Thank you all... I'm off to buy sliced almonds...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie

Report back and let us know how you make out :lol: I'm sure you will love them.

Nooner Newbie

What a great idea, I'm going to have to try this!

ViewsAskew Newbie
Date Squares are my absolute favorite in the whole world. I was just diagnosed 2 weeks ago and am struggling with gluten-free. Does anyone have a good gluten-free recipe for Date Squares..... I am desparate... :blink:

I hate to say this. . .but what do you consider date squares? Sometimes we all have different names for things. Maybe if you post the general ingredients in your fav recipe of old, we'll have an easier time helping finding a replacement or can tell you how to sub something in it.

Viola 1 Rookie
I hate to say this. . .but what do you consider date squares? Sometimes we all have different names for things. Maybe if you post the general ingredients in your fav recipe of old, we'll have an easier time helping finding a replacement or can tell you how to sub something in it.

It's also known as Matrimonial cake (sp) although I could never figure out why. :lol:

mtdawber Apprentice

Ingredients

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

2 1/2 cups oats

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup melted margarine

Date paste:

1 cup or 1/2 lb. dates

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup brown sugar

Directions

Mix together first 6 ingredients in bowl (makes oat mixture). In a separate pot, dice dates and add water. Cook until tender. Add brown sugar and cook until thick. Put one-half of oat mixture in greased 12x8 inch pan. Press down. Spread with date filling. Top with remaining oat mixture and press down. Bake 20 minutes at 375

mtdawber Apprentice

I saw another substitution in one of my cooking books I bought this weekend using buckwheat flakes for oatmeal. Should work right?

Viola 1 Rookie

I've never used buckwheat flakes, but I don't think there is any reason why they shouldn't work. The flavour of course would be different.

How about you trying it and letting us know! :lol:

ViewsAskew Newbie
Ingredients

1 cup flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. baking soda

2 1/2 cups oats

1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup melted margarine

Date paste:

1 cup or 1/2 lb. dates

1/2 cup water

1/2 cup brown sugar

Well, the date paste is easy! For the base. . .Here are a couple of ideas. Obviously you need to sub a gluten-free flour for the flour - make sure it has xanthan added - if you make your own mix, add about a 1/2 tsp of xanthan per cup of flour for this. You might get away with 1/4 tsp.

Now for the oats. First, if you have been gluten-free for awhile (and I don't think you have), you can buy the gluten-free oats that are sold in Canada. But, no one should try oats until they have healed and antibodies are negative. Then, as I understand it, you still need to have your antibodies checked to make sure that you are not intolerant of them. So, once you have healed, this may be a great option.

Second option is to use the quinoa flakes. Not sure in Canada - in the US, I buy the Ancient Harvest brand. They can be used in oatmeal cookies, etc. and similate the taste and texture quite well.

Lastly, you can just make up a new base. Use buckwheat like you were thinking- it will be considerably stronger in taste, or use all flour for a cookie-type base (add a little more xanthan per each cup of flour).

If you try any of these, let us know how they turn out.

hangininthere Apprentice

This isn't the same thing, but if you like coconut too, I have a recipe for delicious coconut-date-almond cookies, and they don't have flour at all.

I'll post the recipe soon, going to sleep right now.

Best wishes to all.

hangininthere Apprentice

I'm posting this flourless coconut/date/almond cookie recipe on a separate post, and a separate post for delicious flourless peanut butter cookies.

Best wishes to all.

Archived