This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Blisters

wowzer

wowzer Community Regular

Does anyone know how long the blisters last?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jamrock Rookie

For me about 24 hours

RiceGuy Collaborator

What blisters?

mtdawber Apprentice

My blisters last 2 or 3 days and they take weeks to heal afterwards....it's no fun!

RiceGuy Collaborator

Could someone please explain what sort these blisters are, where they appear, what the cause is, etc? This is the first thread I recall seeing about such a thing, and all the responses thus far seem to suggest it is common. To my knowledge I have not had this symptom. Is this about the DH rash?

mtdawber Apprentice
Could someone please explain what sort these blisters are, where they appear, what the cause is, etc? This is the first thread I recall seeing about such a thing, and all the responses thus far seem to suggest it is common. To my knowledge I have not had this symptom. Is this about the DH rash?

My blisters are a DH rash... just diagnosed December 20th. They are on my head, sides and back of my neck below the hairline, arms, back, hips, stomach and feet. Good thing its winter so I can cover everything up. The are caused by gluten. I get both internal and external reactions if gluten comes anywhere near me... :o

Rusla Enthusiast

It depends on how much I have injested or if it is in hair products. Mine can take days to month and are DH. Right now something must have been used on my hair when I got it cut because my head is a mass of dh and is making me crazy. These can take months to disappear.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Okay, I have asked this question probably too many times before, but I have had a new experience with it. I developed what looked like the beginning of chicken pox (only smaller) on three spots of my leg -- all in close proximity. It was after I accidentally consumed gluten in generic antibiotics I was given. They itched like CRAZY -- because they started "popping", I covered them with a Tegaderm dressing to keep the fluid from moving to other areas. Now I'm left with some mild scars (I scar pretty badly anyway). The dermatologist said that it sounded like DH, but would have to biopsy them when they're active. Given that I'm gluten-free, I'm hoping it doesn't happen again! Is this what DH is like, though?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lynne

Viola 1 Rookie

Mine show up on the slightest contamination and last about 3 weeks, depending on how much I injest. Not fun :(

Viola 1 Rookie

Oops, sorry Lynne, it really does sound like it!

mtdawber Apprentice

It sounds like DH to me as well. Which begs more questions for me. I'm new to knowing much about this other than what has happened to me personally. Can DH blisters spread when the "pop"?

How long does it seem to take everyone from being glutened to breaking out. I had the stomach upset / D happen within 24 hours and then the blisters follow on days 2 through 5. What is everyone else's experience?

On the subject of healing: I bought sea salt and have been enjoying long sea salt baths - they seem to help . Does anyone have other advice for helping them heal? I know it seems to take weeks to heal them and the scares are not going away. Will the scares eventually fade or do you get to keep those... :huh:

Sorry for the all the questions at once, I seem to get one answer and have 7 more questions.

P.S. ... HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Viola 1 Rookie

Mine actually show up before the D, but dry mouth shows up first, so I imediately know to quit eating what ever. I think I'm fortunate in this that I can spot right off when somethings not right and prevent myself from eating more than a tiny amount. I think it is different with everyone, which makes the disease so hard to predict.

For the very persistant blisters, you may have to go to your doctor and get Dapisone (sp)

• 4 months later...
Belinda Meeker Apprentice
My blisters are a DH rash... just diagnosed December 20th. They are on my head, sides and back of my neck below the hairline, arms, back, hips, stomach and feet. Good thing its winter so I can cover everything up. The are caused by gluten. I get both internal and external reactions if gluten comes anywhere near me... :o

Hi... I'am new to site but saw u get them on ur feet also .

tell me more plz, we get them too on our feet and they itch like crazy for a couple days then the blisters show up and if u pop them white (clear) liquid comes out, but if u don't pop them they hurt so bad :( just was wondering wht u put on ur's? I allso get tons of hives daily but not sure if it's gluten or Plastic's we r still doing gluten waiting for testings to be done :(

Rusla Enthusiast

Sounds like DH to me Lynne. My face is a mess because that is the main place I break out with it and I hate it. I want to walk around with a bag over my head because I look like a leper.

wowzer Community Regular

I seem to get them mostly just under my nose. But any where on the face is a drag. Of course I'm sure everyone thinks I have herpes, but did test negative for that. Seems to take a good 2 weeks for it to disappear and then leaves a purple mark. Nothing seems to really help it heal that I've found.

Rusla Enthusiast

Minor glutenings for me is in the corners of my mouth. Medium ones start in the corners of my mouth and go all under my bottom lip and around the bottom of my nose. The bad ones also go to my eyelids and under my eyes. Imagine how pretty I am then.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Wow, this is the first I've heard of DH being blister like, but i never really looked before... didn't think I had it. I often get tiny pimple like blisters when I eat gluten. They are often small and around my moutn and go away in about 2 days. Thye hurt like mo fo though.

Cool, i learn something new every day!

Rusla Enthusiast

Many are like yours and mine, little pimple blisters that like to expand. I know some who get absolutely huge ones right off the hop. Anyway, no matter how you look at it to me it is disgusting.

wowzer Community Regular

That is the truth. I get them along my lower left eyelid from traces of gluten. They are so annoying. I went through a stage of what they called adult acne a few years back. I never had a problem as a teenager. It sure make one feel ugly when Dh has to pick the face.

Kaycee Collaborator

Fascinating topic. I get spots, and blistery things, never thought for a moment it was DH, because they don't seem to be itchy and there is never ever more than 5 or 6 at a time, but I have always associated them with having eaten gluten as that is when they show up within a few days. The blistery spots don't hang around for long, but the bigger spots are quite sore for a few days and leave purple marks which stay around for absolutely ages before fading out. My husband describes the as "one of those spots". Now I am beginning to wonder if it is DH.

At times my skin crawls and is quite itchy, but never the spots.

Cathy

wowzer Community Regular

My skin gets the crawly feeling if I get glutened. I can feel a blister before it breaks outs. It is a kind of itchy burny feeling. I don't seem to itch as bad from them now that I've been gluten free since the beginning of the year. I'm not sure if that makes the difference or not. A year ago, I had blisters for months. Was told it was poison ivy, eczema, impetigo. Nothing really helped. It was so itcy.

nederlandse Newbie

For me its just a rash on my upper arms that does itch and lasts for about 2-3 weeks. Before going gluten free it was on my back, face and scalp among other places. Just like every other symptom, it spreads and gets worse the more consistently I ingest gluten - accidentally or not. I don't know if it helps, but when its particularly bad, I rub some vitamin E and A oil on it. If anything, that's supposed to help with the scars.

Lola B Rookie

Try cocoa butter too. It seems to help with the scarring. My daughter has DH and carmex and neosporin sometimes help - carmex when the rash first appears; neosporin if you scratch so hard that you break the skin - it seems to help keep any additional bacteria out of the open wound.

dally099 Contributor

hi i get this itchy thing on my hands and feet, look like white calusus and itch and hurt like crazy, i also get this zitty looking thing on my legs and the back of my knees and elbows, lookls like little white zits, no fluid though, and last night they looked like little ingrown hairs. what is this? itches like crazy especially the ones on the back of my knees? any help would be great.

jerseyangel Proficient

Before I was diagnosed, I would get the itchy blisters on my fingers and on the inside of my forearms.

Now, when glutened, I get a few around my mouth--they do hurt, but are nothing compared to the huge ones I used to get on my chin.

Archived