This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Got A Zojiruchi!

KrisT

KrisT Explorer

My first best gift was the memory foam bed my husband bought us for my gift. We've been sleeping better than ever!!! My in-laws bought me the Zojiruchi bread machine and this morning was my first loaf, one of Anna's breads, after 7 months of living gluten-free I've died and gone to heaven!!!! My husband thought it was the best of all the gluten-free breads we've tried so far, but he found it to be bland. I said "You're crazy! This is awesome after what I've been eating!" I'm so happy! Isquealed like a little girl when I opened it.

I know many of you have one and have used it for a long time. Are there any mixes that are bett than others? Have any of you tried the jam making option? I was so surprised to see that! Can I use the machine to make special breads like Anna's pumpkin bread??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guhlia Rising Star

The Gluten Free Pantry's Favorite Sandwich bread is awesome. I add onions, green peppers, black pepper, garlic powder, and cheddar cheese to it. I generally make my moist breads (ie: pumpkin, banana...) in the oven.

momandgirls Enthusiast

We love our Zojirushi! Our favorite bread mix is Pamela's amazing wheat free bread mix. Sometimes we add cinnamon and raisins to the bread mix - it's delicious! For other breads (banana, pumpkin, etc.) we use the oven. I've never tried the option for making jam. We make jams every summer and it's so easy - it's never even occurred to me to use the bread maker.

mamaw Community Regular

Hi Kris

I'm glad your Christmas presents were awesome... I love that machine & Anna's mixes. I make her sweet bread in the oven. they are so simple...

We are thinking of buying the new memory foam mattress, which one did you buy? There are so many now on the market..

happy bread making..

mamaw

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I got one too!!! I'm so excited to use it. And I promptly ordered the Anna's Bread mixes.

You only need to use the machine for her sandwich breads. The specialty breads like banana and pumpkin can be made in the oven. I made them for Thanksgiving and they were wonderful.

KrisT Explorer

About 15 minutes after I made this post I became incredibly ill. I had a VERY sudden rush of nausea that was most definitely caused byt he bread. You know how you can tell what it is when you are tasting it and burping it up.... well it was the bread! I took some phenergan and spent the entire New Years in bed!! I just can't figure out why Anna's bread made me sick! Was it the vinegar? I used Heinz apple cider, NOT flavored apple cider. I also used silk, and eggs that were fine, we had eaten them at breakfast. Could it be that there was something in the machine that didn't get proerly washed when I washed it out?? I don't know, but man was that a New Years mood killer!!!

Mamaw... my husband bought the bed through memoryfoam.com it was about a third of the price of all the others. they sell them so cheap because they do not put the layers of foam together for you, they ship them seperately with a type of matress bag. You lay the bottom of the bag out then layer your foams in order and zip it all up in the bag. The pieces do not slip and slide or lose their shape in any way, in fact you would never know it wasn't fully put together! We are in heaven!!

mamaw Community Regular

Kris

Boy, I can't think of a thing in the bread that would make you sick. I use the same apple cider vinegar.Maybe the montina flour?I think the bean flour also bother some people but honestly this is about the only bread I use anymore. Did you eat alot of it at once? I know that sounds like a stupid question but the first time I made that bread my grandson ate about 3/4 of the loaf in a matter of three hours...

Maybe try the gluten-free pantry bread alot really like that one. I haven't tried it because I buy cases of Anna's.

I hope you get to feeling better soon.....hugs

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Kris,

I had a thought. The reason I can't use Anna's breads (as well as several others) is because of the tapioca flour.

Tapioca flour causes me to have nausea--the way you describe what happened to you.

Of course, if tapioca flour hasn't bothered you in the past, I'm way off, but I thought I'd mention it, as tapioca flour is the first ingredient listed.

Sorry you got sick :(

KrisT Explorer

As far as I know I've had both tapioca and bean flours many times before. I only ate one slice, but I think it could have beent hat I didn't wash the machine well enough. My husband also ate a slice and was perfectly fine, but he isn't GI like I am. The other possibility is the tummy flu, but it just didn't feel flu like. Anyway, I'm all better now!! : )

wolfie Enthusiast

The Montina flour in Anna's mix doesn't agree with me. I love the bread, but it doesn't like me :(

I hope you can figure it out and find one that works for you! I love my Zoji and use it all the time!

brendygirl Community Regular

I can only have a little of the prefabricated gluten-free products without getting bloated, nauseous, etc. I ate an entire gluten-free hot dog bun one time and UGH! But I read in the magazine Living Without, that since celiacs have a hard time absorbing the nutrients we eat that we should really try to eat fortified foods like gluten-free breads.

KrisT Explorer

I figured it out!! I was driving myself crazy because the bread had me feeling so sick I was afraid to try it again. I used pure coconut oil instead of regular oil. The coconut oil is a strong anti-fungal that will make anyone who has problems with yeast feel ill. I didn't realize the concentration it would have in the bread. Usually I try to spread a little on toast or in hot rice cereal, but I am careful not to take too much. I have been having the problems with yeast overgrowth again and just wasn't careful enough. Now I know that I can still eat Anna's and use my machine and be just fine! Whew!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Glad you figured it out, Kris! We have to be food detectives :D

I also can't eat coconut, but I'm intolerant to it.

Archived