46 replies to this topic

#46 gfp

gfp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,311 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:48 PM

laura- You didn't hijack the thread at all. I TOTALLY agree with you. It's NOT all about money. In fact, my doctor prefers to prescribe as little as possible. He told me the statistics after my second episode, not as a way to scare me, but to educate me. I know he was not trying to instill fear in me at all and yes, medication DID give me my life back.

Statistics are just that- statistics. Within a general population there is a 95% chance that something will occur, but individual anomalies are always present and this doesn't take into account other factors that may affect a predisposition towards depression or any other disease.

Just one of my 'alternative' scientific head views on this....

Drugs certainly work ... and I think a lot faster than a proper psychiatric treatment ...
Just my 2c but because their are SOME doctors who will just prescribe drugs this offers a quick fix... and because of the nature of the problem and almost catch-22 nature of being able to do anything positive in life when people are severely depressed then many patients who are either scared of the psychiatric sessions and/or do not have the will and energy to go through them this introduces a large leaning towards the generalist and anti-depression drug treatments.

In other words the statistics are biased in terms of what the question is (well stats always are)
In this case drug treatment offers an escape from dealing with a situation of getting longer term help and this is the choice most people with severe and chronic depression are going to find easiest...

Just my 2c ...
Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. (JC, De Bello Gallico Liber III/XVIII)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 04:05 AM

Just one of my 'alternative' scientific head views on this....

Drugs certainly work ... and I think a lot faster than a proper psychiatric treatment ...
Just my 2c but because their are SOME doctors who will just prescribe drugs this offers a quick fix... and because of the nature of the problem and almost catch-22 nature of being able to do anything positive in life when people are severely depressed then many patients who are either scared of the psychiatric sessions and/or do not have the will and energy to go through them this introduces a large leaning towards the generalist and anti-depression drug treatments.

In other words the statistics are biased in terms of what the question is (well stats always are)
In this case drug treatment offers an escape from dealing with a situation of getting longer term help and this is the choice most people with severe and chronic depression are going to find easiest...

Just my 2c ...

Hey Steve!

You know around here your 2c are worth their weight in gold!!!!

Hugs
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: