This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Day 5

JerryK

JerryK Community Regular

Well I'm on to day five avoiding gluten to the best of my ability. Today I actually ate an apple, that should shock the old system:)

I've noticed already that I don't feel as bloated.

Also, very interestingly, I feel like I've walked out from under a very thick fog. I didn't know I was in the fog, because I'd gotten used to it. Placebo effect...perhaps....I dunno...we'll see.

jerry

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mtdawber Apprentice

I have only been gluten free for a couple of weeks. That fog is one of the first things I noticed to leave me - thank god! It's like having the flu and then you start to feel better. You didn't realize how crappy you felt for how long until you start to feel better again. :ph34r:

It's good that you are giving the gluten free diet a go. I know you are skeptical but a lifestyle change is way easier than some other things that could happen if you keep eating gluten.

Having said that I know how hard it is. I am still "mourning" the food I can no longer have.

:wacko:

Jestgar Rising Star

Hang there Jerry. Feeling well feels pretty good. That whole coming back to life thing may help you not want to cheat.

CarlaB Enthusiast

Jerry, there will be lots of symptoms that change like the fog ... things you never noticed. It's pretty pathetic that we get to the point that we don't even know what "normal" feels like.

JerryK Community Regular

I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why I used to feel so bad after a few beers.

I haven't drank beer in a while...it always affected me badly....

CarlaB Enthusiast
I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why I used to feel so bad after a few beers.

Yeah, me too. I figured out beer made me sick over 20 years before I figured out gluten made me sick. I was one of the few college students who didn't drink the stuff!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

"Brain Fog" is common for celiacs who ingest gluten.

Life is pretty amazing when one comes out of the "fog"...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

luvkin Newbie

What you are feeling is not a placebo effect. The fog is very real. When I came out of it I became very angry with people who seemed to depend on me being in a fog all the time.

Nancym Enthusiast
What can you expect if you sharply reduce or eliminate wheat? The majority of people:

--Feel like a cloud has been lifted from their thinking.

--Don't experience the afternoon blah or tired feeling after lunch.

--Lose weight, sometimes substantial quantities.

--Raise HDL.

--Reduce small LDL.

--Reduce triglycerides, particularly if they start >100 mg/dl.

--Reduce blood sugar.

Open Original Shared Link

Nancym Enthusiast
Also, very interestingly, I feel like I've walked out from under a very thick fog. I didn't know I was in the fog, because I'd gotten used to it. Placebo effect...perhaps....I dunno...we'll see.
Placebo? Well, one that many of us have succumbed to then, even this cardiologist:

What can you expect if you sharply reduce or eliminate wheat? The majority of people:

--Feel like a cloud has been lifted from their thinking.

--Don't experience the afternoon blah or tired feeling after lunch.

--Lose weight, sometimes substantial quantities.

--Raise HDL.

--Reduce small LDL.

--Reduce triglycerides, particularly if they start >100 mg/dl.

--Reduce blood sugar.

I can understand your skepticism though, I was pretty skeptical too.

Katie618 Apprentice

beer made me feel awful too!! before i was diagnosed, i would wake up after a party and think to myself "what the heck happened?!?!?!" my skin was sooo itchy, so inflammed, and red!!! (i have DH), but i have found some pretty good alternatives!! New Grist, Bard's Tale-Dragon Gold, Redbridge.

I feel that bard's tale- dragon gold tasted the most like a regular beer, new grist is a little lighter- like an ale almost, and i haven't had redbridge yet.

Open Original Shared Link i'm from CT, and there aren't any places in ct that seel Bard's tale... the site will tell you which states do and where

Open Original Shared Link i've found new grist in wild oats

JerryK Community Regular

Thanks for posting this, interesting stuff. j

Archived