3 replies to this topic

#1 AmandaD

AmandaD

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:24 PM

Anyone (U.S. market) know if Dean's Sour Cream is gluten free or not? Only ingredient I don't know is rennet.

Thanks...do I even have to worry about sour cream having gluten?
Amanda
Positive TTG 9/05
Positive endoscopy 9/05
Doing well with "Sprue"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 02:51 PM

Techically, you have to know everything that goes in your mouth. :)

That being said, most sour creams are safe. Some reduced fat used to say "modified food starch" but now, if its wheat, it has to be identified-and the one I've seen, its corn starch.

I don't have Dean's in front of me to check, but rennet, to my knowledge, is safe and is on this safe list of ingredients: http://www.celiac.co...-50107552071.07

#3 NoGluGirl

NoGluGirl

Slayer Spice

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 01:10 AM

Anyone (U.S. market) know if Dean's Sour Cream is gluten free or not? Only ingredient I don't know is rennet.

Thanks...do I even have to worry about sour cream having gluten?

Dear AmandaD,
I do not know about Dean's. I was wondering about their French Onion dip myself. I love that stuff with potato chips! Daisy is safe, I know that. Their Web site has it on there that all of them are gluten-free. That is good news, because I have to watch my fat intake, too. Having your gallbladder removed makes it incredibly difficult to tolerate fat.
Sincerely,
NoGluGirl
Jin

Strawberry Allergy, mold allergy, dustmites allergy, ragweed allergy, dust allergy, food dye allergy - 1985
Asthma - 1994
Ovarian Cyst - May 1999
Anemia - 2000
4 More Ovarian Cysts - March 2000
Bloodwork for Celiac - November 2000 negative
Colonoscopy, Endoscopy, Intercolisis, Gastric Emptying Study - May and June 2001 negative biopsy
Fibromyalgia - June 2001
IBS - June 2001
Gallbladder Removal - July 28, 2003 after doctor said the tests showed nothing, so it was not gallbladder disease. It was very inflamed and irritated and nearly ruptured the surgeon told me at my 10 day post-op check-up.
Thyroid Disease - August 2004
Celiac Disease - March 2007 Current Dr. refers to me as Celiac, as she says blood tests are often inaccurate.

Official Purple Glittery Bat Keeper, District Attorney, and Chinese Restaurant Owner of The Silver Dragon of Rachelville

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,534 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:56 AM

I've never called Dean's but rennet is most definitely safe. I've been gluten-free for more than five years and have yet to find a sour cream with gluten.

richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: