34 replies to this topic

#1 Anonymousgurl

Anonymousgurl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have so many darn food allergies that I can't just have a normal dinner with my family...BUT ANYWAYS...who wants to hear that? haha...my question is...does sushi rice usually contain gluten? I just wanted to get a cucumber roll at the sushi restaraunt but I wanted to make sure it would be safe first.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

Yes, to the best of my knowledge. I would take your own soy sauce. When I want a good taste, I use wheat free tamari. La Choy is also gluten free.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

I know you have multiple food issues, and although it might be safe from gluten, many brands of rice are "enriched"....with corn products. I learned that this summer when I was reacting horribly to rice. Looked up the ingredients---and there were trace amounts of corn. Just something to keep in mind, if corn is by chance a problem for you. Not all rice is a problem though.

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 06:38 PM

Gluten-free, yes (assuming you stay away from the soy sauce), but besides corn sometimes being used in the carrier for the fortification (though not all sushi restaurants use fortified rice), sushi rice is seasoned, and usually has rice vinegar, sugar, and salt (and sometimes rice wine as well, but cooked).
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

I went to a Japanese restaurant recently and asked the manager if the rice was gluten free ... Lucky for me, one of the people who worked in the kitchen was a celiac and was able to tell me that all of their rice has chicken broth in it that was NOT gluten free.

They were so accommodating ... My meal was prepared in the back away from all gluten ... :rolleyes:

marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#6 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

I went to a Japanese restaurant recently and asked the manager if the rice was gluten free ... Lucky for me, one of the people who worked in the kitchen was a celiac and was able to tell me that all of their rice has chicken broth in it that was NOT gluten free.

They were so accommodating ... My meal was prepared in the back away from all gluten ... :rolleyes:

marcia

I ate at a Sushi place in Vegas (in the MGM Grand)...can't remember the name....anyway the sushi chef was really great, and he told me that their rice was NOT gluten free, based on my dining card, b/c they used a MALTED(?) water/juice for the rice, to make it taste better and make it stickier. He did make me special rice with plain water.
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#7 BRUMI1968

BRUMI1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 January 2007 - 09:49 PM

I've also been told that sushi rice is made with vinegar, which may or may not be gluten free. My gal looked up the vinegar and found that it contained gluten, so I was told sushi is out. Depressing? Yes. However, we could make it at home I suppose.

-Sherri

#8 Anonymousgurl

Anonymousgurl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

Wow thank you so much you guys! I totally forgot about the vinager that they usually add to sushi rice! Vinager has gluten sometimes...right?

#9 Katie618

Katie618

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 08:51 AM

sometimes when i eat sushi, my DH starts to flare... but i always thought it was just the iodine in the seaweed or in the fish, i didnt know the rice can be made with chicken broth, i just thought sushi rice was sticky... if i buy it at the store already made, wouldnt chicken broth/vingar, etc have to be listed in the ingredients?

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:03 AM

I really am intensely curious about this broth in the sushi rice thing... It just makes no sense. I wonder if it's a regional thing? I've *never* seen a real sushi rice recipe with it. I do believe you guys that they said this and they do this, but I remain boggled that they would! ;)

I don't know why any vinegar used in sushi rice would have gluten. I know of two vinegars that can contain gluten - malt and crappy 'balsamic'. Both would screw up the taste. So I'm curious why it was thought that gluten was in the vinegar, unless it was the old vinegar misunderstanding. I also have never seen a sushi rice recipe that called for anything but rice vinegar. Hmm... perhaps someone used seasoned rice vinegar and it had natural flavors?

One very fun alternative is to have your own sushi party. Sushi isn't hard to make, it's just time consuming, which makes it a very fun dinner party activity. Do your socializing while you and your guests all make dinner together! :)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 happygirl

happygirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

peace-
distilled vinegar, apple cider vinegar, etc is safe. it is usually only malt vinegar, and like Tiffany mentioned, lower quality balsamic or flavored vinegars that aren't. but white vinegar, and rice vinegar, are safe, and the American Dietetic Association has stated so.
Laura

#12 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 10:17 AM

Tiff,

I read it as a "Japanese" restaurant - not necessarily a "sushi" restaurant.

No restaurant would use chicken broth to make sushi - it would defeat the purpose (of making the rice sticky).

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I read it. Many restaurants add chicken broth tio their rice for flavor and color.

#13 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:06 AM

I'm back ... about the chicken broth in the sushi rice, the manager checked with the chef and he said it had gluten it .. I would imagine they cook all the rice at one time in one big pot ...

It was a very expensive Japanese restaurant over in Tampa, Fl. The kind where they cook in front of you while throwing knives, food, etc. I was visiting so I don't know the name.

The manager looked Japanese, but very tall ? , and knew all about gluten because of the kitchen person who was a celiac (it could have the chef was a celiac ?? )

Sorry about the bad news ... marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

#14 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

Its probably Ben-hannas or some other type of Hibachi style restaurant.

In any event, I can't help but wonder if there has been some miscommunication between the parties regarding rice, glutrinous rice, fried rice, and sushi rice. All can be prepared differently.

Normally sushi rice, contains rice, rice vinegaer, sugar, salt and soemtimes rice wine or sake. All of these ingredients in limited amounts create the sticky texture and the rice is usually served at room temperature or slightly chilled. This is the reason I don't think the chef/manager was regerring to the sushi rice (as it relates to chicken stock). Chicken stock needs to be either cooked at a high temperature or chilled in a refriegerator. It cannot be kept out at room temperatures as any number of maladies associated with chicken are increased. Furthermore, chicken stock would alter the texture of the sushi rice in that it would not be sticky and likely would become too soft for consumption with sushi.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I have never seen "sushi" rice cooked with chicken stock. I have seen it cooked in almost every other type of rice (remember, these restaurants often have 4-5 different styles of rice depending on the dishes they serve.

#15 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

This was not a chain restaurant as far as I could tell. I can ask my neice the name of it, but all small non chain restaurants are going to make things differently. Actually, if you think about it, any chain restaurant manager can change their recipes at any time too.

Best to ask always ...... marcia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: