- - - - -

What Do The Numbers Mean?

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_memoryofaspyn_*

Guest_memoryofaspyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2004 - 07:39 AM

Hello, I am new to this site, and this disease. I have a couple questions. First I just got my labs back and they were all positive, all of my numbers were between 135-139, my doctor said he has never seen all of them positive at the same time, and he said he thought mine were quite high. He has said he doesnt believe I need the biopsy, does this sound right?

My next question is I have a nine month old who I am nursing, if with this condition I am not getting the nutrients I need, is my daughter getting what she needs from me?

Thank you so much I would appreciate any help I can get!

Stacy

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 08:32 AM

It's a good sign that your doc is willing to go off of blood work! With numbers that conclusive, it's great to save yourself the trouble of having to have a biopsy.

As for nursing, from what I understand, there _could_ be some issues with nutrients, BUT don't worry too much! If she's looking healthy and happy, chances are, it's not a big problem. Of course, talk to your doc about this further, and maybe you'll want to get some bloodwork to check your vitamin/mineral levels, but you - and she - may be just fine!

And once you get gluten-free, it definitely won't be a problem.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 09:44 AM

With numbers this high and particularly if you have symptoms, I wouldn't bother with the biopsy. However, if you need further convincing, then do it.

richard

#4 Guest_memoryofaspyn_*

Guest_memoryofaspyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 August 2004 - 02:48 PM

Are those numbers high? I am not sure how to read the numbers. I do have the symptoms, do you know if severe muscle cramping in my legs is a symptom also? I would be very happy to get rid of that!

#5 Racheleona

Racheleona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 03:58 PM

I do consider those numbers very high...mine was 20, and my doctor considered this enough to go gluten free, and a number of 0-19 is negative result for gluten sensitivity...above 40 I believe is a strong positive...

Rachel

#6 CarolynM

CarolynM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 04:00 PM

Be very glad the doctor is willing to go on the bloodwork. The biopsy is expensive even with insurance and you would have to wait until after to go gluten-free. You can get started getting healthy immediately :D .

On the leg cramping, I have heard it can be symptomatic of low potassium level. If so, then it could be related to celiac disease.

If your baby has been doing well, keep nursing. Things will be even better after you have gone gluten-free.

#7 Guest_memoryofaspyn_*

Guest_memoryofaspyn_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2004 - 08:09 AM

thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: