Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

#1 mamatide

mamatide

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 06:53 AM

:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

http://www.recipezaar.com/190906

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseygrl

jerseygrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

Great! I can't wait to bake it for my 6yo celiac daughter. Thanks!
My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

2nd daughter born in 2000
An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006
Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.
Never complained of stomach ache Tested for Celiac in 11/07, Biop confirmed in 12/07
Happy Camper now, doing much better in school :)

1st daughter born in 1997
Dx'd high functioning Autistic in 2000
No celiac, but noticable improvement when gluten-free
She says her brain feels clearer. :D

#3 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 11:30 AM

Sounds good. I'll have to try it. :)

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#4 DingoGirl

DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

Oh my gosh, this sounds easy enough for even ME. :)

Two questions.....what is garfava flour - - I assume I can get it at my health store? and also, what type of vinegar did you use?

I can't wait to try this!
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

#5 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:21 PM

Two questions.....what is garfava flour - - I assume I can get it at my health store? and also, what type of vinegar did you use?

Garfava is a combo of garbanzo and fava beans. I just have garbanzo so will be trying it with that. On second though maybe I'd better mix it with something so it won't be too beany. I'll have to think on that.

I'm assuming the vinegar is white vinegar.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#6 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

Oh my gosh, this sounds easy enough for even ME. :)

I can't wait to try this!

I didn't use garfava flour. I used brown rice (superfine) and sorghum and it was wonderful. I did use the flax seed (DH is trying to lower his cholesterol and it was recommended as a supplement so this was a happy coincidence).

I usually use cider vinegar so I probably used it this time. I'm sure white is fine too.

Also, the milk can be somewhat warm - I asked Laurie before I made it the first time - but room temp is fine. If it's too warm it cooks the eggs!

Good luck. I hope it turns out as well for you as it did for us.

#7 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 12:54 PM

Has anyone tried this recipe in the bread machiene? It looks like it would work?

#8 rbh

rbh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

I was inspired to try this bread tonight after reading the posts. It is wonderful! I used 1 cup superfine brown flour, and 1/2 cup sourgum (no garafava). I don't know what it will be like tomorrow, but the taste and texture still slightly warm from the oven is fabulous. My teenage son, who does not have celiac and eats gluten outside the home, said it was better than regular bread, which I take as a true compliment. Thanks so much for the recipe!

#9 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 03 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

You're welcome!!!!! This makes me SO HAPPY!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#10 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:24 AM

Thanks! Now I can use that Garfava flour that I bought and didn't know what to do with. I just hope it comes out well without the eggs and milk. I usually sub in flax meal for eggs but since it already contains flax that might be overkill. Will try it with the Ener-G egg replacer.

#11 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 04:58 AM

You're welcome!!!!! This makes me SO HAPPY!

Thank YOU! You really deserve the recognition!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ps - for anyone who might make the same mistake I did, the first ingredient "gluten free flour" should not include any xantham gum (if you use some prefab gluten-free flour like I did)- the batter gets really thick and the bread is dense! Just stick to your favourite flour blend!

#12 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:19 AM

Y'all have inspired me to try this bread. I am not a "baker" and have always relied on Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix.

1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour
1/4 cup garfava flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flax seed meal

Of the above flours/starches, how was the 1 c rice flour and 1/2 c sorghum flour substituted? Please post exactly what you used. Thank you!

#13 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:23 AM

Y'all have inspired me to try this bread. I am not a "baker" and have always relied on Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free bread mix.

1/4 cup garfava flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flax seed meal

Of the above flours/starches, how was the 1 c rice flour and 1/2 c sorghum flour substituted? Please post exactly what you used. Thank you!

For the 1 1/4 c gluten free flour I used:
-----------------------------------------------------
1/2 cup superfine brown rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup sorghum flour

For the 1/4 cup garfava flour I used:
-----------------------------------------
1/4 cup sorghum flour

(I have never used garfava flour before so had none but have a LOT of sorghum!)

(for cornstarch, potato starch and flax seed I did not substitute)

#14 rbh

rbh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:46 AM

1/4 cup garfava flour
1/2 cup potato starch
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup flax seed meal

Instead of 1 1/4 bups gluten-free flour and 1/4 garfava flour, I used 1 cup super fine brown flour (Authentic Foods) and 1/2 cup sorghum. Potato starch, cornstarch and flax seed meal was unchanged. I also had the eggs at room temperarture, and used milk heated for 30 seconds in the microwave.

#15 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

This sounds delicous.. do you think it will work in the bread machiene sorry I asked this alreday I wasnt gonna try if its an oven only deal? I just love my machine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: