This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

mamatide

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
I looked more closely at my rice flour - it's sweet rice flour, not brown rice. So, do you think this would make a difference?

Hmm. I'm not an experienced enough baker to answer that, but I do know they have different properties. I use sweet rice flour for thickening gravy, etc. I do know a lady who uses sweet rice flour in lieu of any white/brown rice flours, and she's happy with the results.

I'd wait for more replies unless you're willing to experiment.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
larry mac Enthusiast
Re: the question of flours, for my bread (2 so far, first one pictured in my avatar) I used:

1 1/4 cups gluten-free flour which consisted of: 1/2 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup sorghum flour and 1/4 cup tapioca starch. Then the rest as indicated in the recipe. (1/4 cup garfava flour, 1/2 cup potato starch, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup flaxmeal)

So I used this:

1/4 cup garfava flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/4 cup flaxmeal

1/2 cup brown rice flour

1/2 cup sorghum flour

1/4 cup tapioca starch

That is the recipe I will continue to use.

Linda, I'm trying your version next time. That's one beautiful loaf of bread. You have the peaked roof on yours! Do you actually use two egg whites, or powdered egg whites? lm

lorka150 Collaborator
Ok. That sounds fine, in theory, but how does the bread get kneaded the second time if you've pulled out the paddle.....that does the kneading? I can see trying to pull it out right before it goes to bake cycle but not while it's kneading...unless it doesn't matter with un-glutened bread? I might be still thinking in gluten terms.

That is why it is pulled out... To avoid the second knead. If that makes sense. It doesn't "KNEAD" it.

HA!

I second the sweet rice flour not to be used - however, I haven't tried it. From what I have read over and over, that is one that is not interchangeable in recipes. Won't hurt to try, I guess!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Linda, I'm trying your version next time. That's one beautiful loaf of bread. You have the peaked roof on yours! Do you actually use two egg whites, or powdered egg whites? lm

I used real egg whites. Separated 'em myself. No bits of shell in there either. :P

Guest Educator
:D You all absolutely have to try this bread. I cannot speak highly enough about its texture, taste, and ease of making it. It has that soft texture that is so familiar. Not crumbly at all!

We served it to our guests over Christmas and we all loved it. It's better fresh than after a couple of days but you don't have to toast it, you don't have to freeze it. It's simply delicious.

So thank you Laurie for this wonderful recipe. I really hope more people will try it and love it as much as we do!

Open Original Shared Link

I added my review to glutenfreegirl's.

Can you tell me what one loaf costs? Trying to figure out if it is worth purchasing all the different ingrediants.

Mayflowers Contributor

Yep, I was thinking in gluten terms. :blink:

cchhrriiss Newbie

I read in Bette Hagman....spelling not sure.... gluten free recipe book that sweet rice is good for brownies, cookies. Brown rice can be a sub for white, but sweet rice can't. It is used for more of a sticky treat.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ArtGirl Enthusiast
I read in Bette Hagman....spelling not sure.... gluten free recipe book that sweet rice is good for brownies, cookies. Brown rice can be a sub for white, but sweet rice can't. It is used for more of a sticky treat.

I think I originally bought the sweet rice flour because I read somewhere (who knows now, I've checked out so many G.F. cookbooks from the library) that sweet rice flour is less gritty than the brown rice. I'm really not fond of gritty baked goods. Anyway, I think I need to give brown rice flour a try.

Thanks for the tip.

My next bread-baking day is Friday.... drum roll..... "will she make a perfect loaf??"

Tune in next time to see! :D

mamatide Enthusiast

If anyone is interested in reading the original thread for this bread, including Laurie's recommendations to me for flour blends, here it is:

https://www.celiac.com/index.php?s...;hl=yummy+bread

Cheers!

larry mac Enthusiast
If anyone is interested in reading the original thread for this bread, including Laurie's recommendations to me for flour blends, here it is:https://www.celiac.com/index.php?s...;hl=yummy+breadCheers!

Thanks MT, that's interesting to know. lm

pinktroll Apprentice

I baked a loaf of this 2 days ago-it is awesome! I have been prepping my kids for going gluten-free in February (only my husband has tested positive for Celiac but some of the kids have things that I believe may be helped by a gluten-free diet) and my oldest daughter who hasn't been very happy about going gluten-free said if I would make this bread then she would have no problem eating gluten-free. Aside from all the measuring, this was easy to make and turnd out wonderful. I can't believe the texture-just like regular bread! I am going to try to make dinner rolls out of this recipe this weekend. I will let everyone know how it goes.

MissBlueJ05 Newbie

:huh:

Ok, so you have all talked me into it. I went and got a bread machine tonight. HELP?!?! lol I saw the recipe, and the suggestions of other things to use as ingredients, instructions on using certain settings.etc. So if anyone else has any other suggestions before I dive into trying this thing out, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

P.S. I assume the bread machine can be used for other baking ? loaves of other types of bread and such?

Pam in Ohio

mamatide Enthusiast
:huh:

Ok, so you have all talked me into it. I went and got a bread machine tonight. HELP?!?! lol I saw the recipe, and the suggestions of other things to use as ingredients, instructions on using certain settings.etc. So if anyone else has any other suggestions before I dive into trying this thing out, PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

P.S. I assume the bread machine can be used for other baking ? loaves of other types of bread and such?

Pam in Ohio

Well, I've never used a bread machine and just make the recipe in the oven in a pan.

If it were me, I'd return the bread machine and buy a good quality stand mixer instead - very useful in most baking (cheesecakes, bagels, cookies, cakes... AND bread).

But that's one person's opinion! I'm sure there are many bread machine afficionados out there who might beg to differ!

Granny Garbonzo Apprentice

Help!

The original recipe evidently expired off the visible posts.

Can someone put it in here again, I got the flour discussion and measures, but nothing about the yeast or wet ingredients or instructions.

Iwant to bake with my grand girls tomorrow and this bread sounds lovely to make. I'm going to try the toll house cookie recipe too! Wow, what a find this site was. Thanks so much to everyone who shares.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Here are a link to the recipe.

Open Original Shared Link

mamaw Community Regular

Has anyone tried to make hamburger buns from this recipe? I have made it three times & it has been perfect everytime. The first time I used all kinds of flour (not blends though) & it was perfect .Now I'm wondering about buns??

mamaw

AmyTopolski Apprentice
Has anyone tried to make hamburger buns from this recipe? I have made it three times & it has been perfect everytime. The first time I used all kinds of flour (not blends though) & it was perfect .Now I'm wondering about buns??

mamaw

I have not yet tried buns, but I have been succesful making bagels. I am going to try a cinnamon raisin bread and buns this weekend. I'll update when I'm done.

Amy

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hi -

I made excellent rolls/buns with this recipe. I used an ice cream scoop with a spring release so that I could get a good shape and consistant size. Makes a great sandwich!!!

Enjoy.

Jestgar Rising Star
I have not yet tried buns, but I have been succesful making bagels.

How did you do this? The dough is so soft.

emcmaster Collaborator

I made this this morning and it was SO good. Great texture. It was a tad bit underbaked in the middle, though, so I'll bake it for 5 minutes longer next time.

Only problem: It didn't rise at all before I baked it. Maybe half an inch. I let it rise for a little over 80 minutes and nothing.

Two things that could have contributed to that: I used cold milk (oops) AND I used quick-acting yeast. I'll try room temp milk and regular yeast next time.

Has anyone made this and had it rise enough to make normal sandwich size slices? Mine were more like banana bread slices because it didn't rise. It still tasted really good, though, and had a fantastic moist, non crumbly texture.

I used 2boys4me's flour blend for the 1-1/4 cups gluten-free blend - 1/2 c. potato starch, 1/2 c. brown rice flour, 1/4 c. tapioca starch. I'll be using it again.

Thank you SO much, Laurie!

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Only problem: It didn't rise at all before I baked it. Maybe half an inch. I let it rise for a little over 80 minutes and nothing.

It's winter here and my kitchen is rather cool. I tried putting the dough in a "cold"oven, but it just wasn't warm enough. I then placed a pan of hot tap water in the over with the dough, that warmed it up enough to allow the yeast to do it's thing. Yeast prefers to be warm. I believe the ideal dough-rising temp is around 80F. (too hot and you'll kill the yeasties)

emcmaster Collaborator
It's winter here and my kitchen is rather cool. I tried putting the dough in a "cold"oven, but it just wasn't warm enough. I then placed a pan of hot tap water in the over with the dough, that warmed it up enough to allow the yeast to do it's thing. Yeast prefers to be warm. I believe the ideal dough-rising temp is around 80F. (too hot and you'll kill the yeasties)

I bet you have the answer to my non-rising dough! I will try the hot tap water in a pan in the oven next time I make it! Thanks!!!

AmyTopolski Apprentice
How did you do this? The dough is so soft.

The dough is soft and a little firm on the outside after cooked. I rub Crisco on them and wrap them in a towel after they come out of the oven to keep them soft. This is what I did. Mix together flours, starches and flax meal. Scoop out one cup of mixture. The recipe calls for 4 cups. Add creamer, xanthan gum, sugar, salt and yeast. Blend well and set aside. Combine wet ingredients in a seperate bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet and beat for 5 minutes. With oiled hands dievide dough into 12 sections. Shape into bagels and place on a greased baking sheet. Let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400* and bring 3" of water in a large skillet with 1 tsp sugar and salt to a slow boil. Add bagels to water and boil 30 seconds on each side. Place on a seperate greased and cornmealed cookie sheet. Bake 20-25 minutes, till lightly browned. Enjoy!

Bagels

2 1/2 cup gluten free flour

1/2 cup quinoa flour

1 cup potato starch

1/2 cup cornstarch

1/2 cup flax meal

1/3 cup non-dairy creamer or milk powder

1 tbsp xanthan gum

1 tbsp sugar

2 tsp salt

2 tbsp yeast

1 tsp vinegar

3 tbsp oil

2 tbsp Ener-G egg replacer + 4 tbsp warm water Or 2 eggs

Jestgar Rising Star

Thanks, I'll post when I finally have the courage to try this.

ArtGirl Enthusiast

Today was baking day. I went out and found some brown rice flour and used that for the 1-1/4 cups flour and followed the recipe exactly. I made TWO loaves, because I goofed with the first one.

loaf 1.... I was measuring for two different baked goods at the same time (bad idea, as it turned out) and, instead of 2tsp of yeast, I put in only one. It did rise a bit (about double, which isn't much, but, still, it's some) so I went ahead and baked it. Actually this wasn't all that bad. Had less of a yeast flavor/smell, was short and squatty, and was a bid more dense. Actually, I think this has possiblities of being an immitation rye bread, if one put in some caraway seeds. :)

loaf 2... This one had the full amount of yeast in it but I did use about 1/8 cup less water. it raised well but, AGAIN, after cooling slightly from the oven it FELL. I truly don't know what else to do. :( Maybe next time I may try reducing the yeast by 1/4 tsp.

I'm not going to give up. :blink:

tune in Next Friday....

Archived