Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

#16 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

I've made it in the machine, too. Just use your machine however you normally do the gluten-free breads. I know they're all different, and I always yank out the kneader for the second time around. Good luck!
Gluten-free, Vegan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 jerseygrl

jerseygrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:13 AM

Okay, got mine rising as I write! Combined exactly as orig. recipe. I am going to bake one version in the oven
and next time I am going to try it in MY new Zojirushi X20, using the gluten-free setting.

*anticipating with glee* *hope dd loves it*
My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

2nd daughter born in 2000
An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006
Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.
Never complained of stomach ache Tested for Celiac in 11/07, Biop confirmed in 12/07
Happy Camper now, doing much better in school :)

1st daughter born in 1997
Dx'd high functioning Autistic in 2000
No celiac, but noticable improvement when gluten-free
She says her brain feels clearer. :D

#18 chrissy

chrissy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:57 AM

i've got this bread rising in the oven also----can't wait to try it!!
Christine

15 year old twins with celiac, diagnosed dec. 2005
11 year old daughter with celiac diagnosed dec 2005
17 year old son with celiac gene

#19 Katydid

Katydid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

:rolleyes: OK all you bread makers out there- I made this bread last night and it turned out really great. I've been cooking gluten free for my husbnd for 18 years and still have my share of flops when it comes to bread; mostly because I still insist on trying to improve it. But after last night, I'm ready to quit experimenting because this is about as good as it gets.

I used warm milk for the liquid; and like one of the other members, I didn't have garfava (or at least I couldn't find it) so I also substituted it with 1/4 c sorghum flour. For the gluten-free flour blend I used the gluten-free gourmet blend of rice, tapioca, potato starch.

I used a 9 x 5 pan, but mine rose full height in about 45 minutes (vs the 80 minutes mentioned in the recipe) This may have been because I always use the 'quick rise yeast' for all my baking or maybe it was the warm milk. I also use my oven for rising by preheating to 200 and then turning it off.

Baked it 40 minutes at 350, but tented with foil after 10 minutes because I like a lighter, softer crust. By the way, I read somewhere that using milk instead of water when making bread makes for a softer crust -and its true.

The end result was a perfect loaf....no sags, no concaves, cooked consisently completely through, nice tender crust, not too hard or tough. The texture reminded me a lot of the regular whole wheat bread you buy, but with a homemade taste. It was soft and springy. It was the perfect accompanyment to a big kettle of homemade potato soup.

I hope you all have a chance to try this recipe. I'm sold enough that I am going to mix up several individual bags of just the dry ingredients (except yeast) so all I have to do is add the the wet, mix and bake.

Regards,
Kay

#20 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 02:41 PM

Thank you!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#21 jerseygrl

jerseygrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:11 PM

Okay, the flavor of the bread is great. But I goofed. The loaf is all mis-shapened on the top *sigh*, which is why I got a bread machine, heh heh.
But tell me.....it seems like whether out of the oven, or in a bread machine, the gluten-free breads I bake are always a little gummy. Am I not
baking it long enough? I go by the recipe, but this seems to happen. Thanks for any suggestions, or is this just a characteristic of gluten-free
bread that we will have to live with?
My mom was dx'd Celiac in her 80's after a life time of stomach troubles. I am fine however.

An agitated kid since birth, non-compliant attitude, dx'd with PDDNOS in 2003, ADHD in 2006
Had ongoing facial rash since 2004 -- tested for Lupus -- negative, discovered a high antibody count.
Never complained of stomach ache Tested for Celiac in 11/07, Biop confirmed in 12/07

#22 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

Was this gummy too? There are two breads I always bake, this being one, and neither are ever gummy... The only time I had a gummy bread was when I made pumpkin bread once because I had a lot of pumpkin left over and I threw it all in.. Haha. But to avoid this, cover the top with foil, and lower the temperature, about 10 minutes before it 'should' be done, then bake it for about 20 more instead.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#23 skinnyminny

skinnyminny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 06:38 AM

Sorry so many questions do you find the water or milk working better??

#24 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:22 PM

When I use a bread machine I alway brush down the side of the pan while it is mixing so all the flour gets mixed-in. Then when it is down with the rising process I alway smooth out the top so it bakes evenly. You will get an uneven top if you don't.
hope this helps

mamaw

#25 jerseygrl

jerseygrl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 02:32 PM

When I use a bread machine I alway brush down the side of the pan while it is mixing so all the flour gets mixed-in. Then when it is down with the rising process I alway smooth out the top so it bakes evenly. You will get an uneven top if you don't.
hope this helps

mamaw

I tried this recipe in my Zoj-X20 and it came out wonderful! I also do everything mama does for a smooth look.
I really like the texture to this bread. Here are the settings I use on my machine:
Warm: 10 minutes
Knead: 18 minutes
Rise 1: off
Rise 2: off
Rise 3: 55 minutes
Bake: 55 minutes

The texture was the best I've seen. This will really hold up well to the PBJ treatment. No crumbling! :D

#26 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:27 AM

I brought a freshly-baked loaf to a couple I met recently and they were just so excited. The (Celiac) woman said it had been years since she'd had a slice of bread that wasn't previously toasted.

She was diagnosed after years and years and years of illness and after literally being sent home to die. Very sad story. She was just so happy to be diagnosed as a Celiac. Can you imagine? I guess sadly many of you can indeed imagine.

Anyway, it made me feel really good to be able to share this bread with this couple.

mamatide.

#27 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

Did you mean you used brown rice for the gluten-free flour and sorghum for the garfava? Would you please let us know exactly what you used for all the flours listed in the original recipe?

Thanks. lm

I didn't use garfava flour. I used brown rice (superfine) and sorghum and it was wonderful. I did use the flax seed .....

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#28 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:56 AM

Did you mean you used brown rice for the gluten-free flour and sorghum for the garfava? Would you please let us know exactly what you used for all the flours listed in the original recipe?

Thanks. lm

See my post #13 under this thread for what I used. The short answer is yes.

#29 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

I haven't seen this sorghum flour anywhere. Have been to Whole Foods, Central Market (a larger, even nicer Whole Foods), and two large Asian Supermarkets here in Dallas.

I'm wondering if this is a real Flour, or a starch flour. A real flour will have fiber & protein listed on the nutrition label. A starch flour will have neither, only calories.

If someone that has some sorghum flour would be so kind as to look at the label and let me know, then I could figure out what to sustitute it with.

Thanks, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#30 rbh

rbh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

I haven't seen this sorghum flour anywhere. Have been to Whole Foods, Central Market (a larger, even nicer Whole Foods), and two large Asian Supermarkets here in Dallas.

I'm wondering if this is a real Flour, or a starch flour. A real flour will have fiber & protein listed on the nutrition label. A starch flour will have neither, only calories.

If someone that has some sorghum flour would be so kind as to look at the label and let me know, then I could figure out what to sustitute it with.

Thanks, lm

I'm looking at my bag of Authentic Foods Sorghum FLour Superfine -- for a 3 TBSP serving size, there are 2 g of Dietary fiber, 6g of Sugar, and 2.6 g of protein.

I bought mine at the local health food store in Needham Massachusetts -- places that stock Authentic Foods brand flours should be able to order it as well. I think you can also order it from Twin Valley Mills.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: