Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

• Please log in to reply

336 replies to this topic

#31 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

I buy my sorghum flour from the gluten-free bulk section of my HFS.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 lorka150

lorka150

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

for those questioning that flour, i don't even use it in the original mix. it's a flour, not a starch, though.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#33 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

I buy Bob's Red Mill sorghum flour from the gluten free store in my area.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#34 gheidie

gheidie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

Yes I have to chime in this is awesome bread!! I bake a loaf about once ever week and a half and it is sssoooo good. I make it just like it is, but I add sunflower seeds and sometimes nuts!!

Thank you again Laurie!!!

#35 jukie

jukie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

Okay, I was taking a break from the great gluten-free bread baking project this week as I've been getting a little frustrated with all the flops...but you've inspired me to try again. I even found garfava flour while doing my regular grocery shopping at Kroger, so maybe that's a good sign :P Of course it's just dawned on me that I'm missing cornstarch, so it might have to wait until tomorrow.

Anyway, I have one very critical question as this seems to be my biggest challenge. What's the best way to replace the eggs? If I use Ener-G, exactly how much do I use to replace 2 eggs and 2 egg whites?? And should I actually "mix" the egg replacer and water, then add to other ingredients, or should I add egg replacer powder to the dry ingredients and increase the water??? It seems everywhere I look for advice, there's a different suggestion, though so far none of them had resulted in success.

Either way, I'm actually looking forward to trying this, so at the very least you've given me renewed hope. :D

#36 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:01 PM

it's the equiv. of three eggs. i make this eggless for myself.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#37 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

I've made this a couple times vegan.

I think I need to bake it a little more as it is a little gummy but my children love it and so do I. I've been using Annalise Roberts bread mix (1 cup) and her muffin mix (1/2 cup). I think next time I'll stick totally with the bread mix and see if that makes a difference.

I also used 3 egg equivalent for ener-g egg replacer.

It doesn't turn out with a rounded top but none of my homemade breads have. They still taste good though.

Andrea

Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#38 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

for what it's worth, my actual original recipe did call for the egg-replacer instead of the eggs.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#39 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

does the bread taste "beany"? i bought some chocolate chip cookie mix once, and when i made the cookies, all i could taste was that bitter chickpea flavor. i've been very hesitant have anything to do w/ bean flour since.
i am excited though to try this bread, as i just got a full time job, and was looking for something to take w/ me for lunches!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#40 pajamama2

pajamama2

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

Can someone tell me if there is a difference between "Flax Seed Meal" and "Milled Flax Seed"? If so, where can I find Flax Seed Meal at? Thanks so much. I can't wait to make this bread.

#41 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

how is the recipe w/o any flax? i am thinking of making it today, but don't have flax stuff....
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#42 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:42 PM

does the bread taste "beany"? i bought some chocolate chip cookie mix once, and when i made the cookies, all i could taste was that bitter chickpea flavor. i've been very hesitant have anything to do w/ bean flour since.
i am excited though to try this bread, as i just got a full time job, and was looking for something to take w/ me for lunches!

I haven't used the garfava flour. You can use any combo of gluten free flours.

Andrea

#43 jukie

jukie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

Thanks Laurie and Andrea for the egg replacer info. Now I'm *really* excited :D

#44 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

Check out my new avatar! :D It's a picture of Lorka's bread, but I baked it!

I made it exactly like the recipezaar recipe (I used eggs and milk) except the baking pan had about the same volume, but rather than 9x5 it was 11x4.

I think it tastes good, but the test will be whether Ty eats it and the real test will be whether Ty's dad, a self-proclaimed bread addict, likes it.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#45 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:12 PM

:D :) :D

Oh my, this is sooooo.... GOOD!
I thought I was eating wheat bread!!!

My darling husband has voluntered to quit having bread in the house, bless him. I offered to bake him some gluten-free bread and since so many were raving about this bread recipe, I gave it a try. Unfortunately, I let it rise too much and it fell after I took it out of the oven, but we sliced it anyway and then toasted it.

Did I say this was really good!!!??? I could sit down and eat half a loaf all by myself. I think he'll be happy with this substitute. He especially likes whole wheat and this tastes so much like it, and it has the fiber he wants.

I used only water (no milk), used arrowroot instead of cornstarch, and used flax meal I had ground myself (flax seed in a blender - works like a charm). It really has too many eggs for me, so I'm going to try it without and see what happens. I can't use Enger-g egg replacer because of the corn it. Any suggestions from you eggless bakers?? It already has flax, so probably can't use that.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: