Follow us: Twitter Facebook Google Plus One {$this->lang->words[
   arrowShare us:

arrowSubscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Most Delicious Home-made Gluten Free Bread I've Ever Tasted...

• Please log in to reply
336 replies to this topic

#46 AmyTopolski

AmyTopolski

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

:D :) :D

Oh my, this is sooooo.... GOOD!
I thought I was eating wheat bread!!!

My darling husband has voluntered to quit having bread in the house, bless him. I offered to bake him some gluten-free bread and since so many were raving about this bread recipe, I gave it a try. Unfortunately, I let it rise too much and it fell after I took it out of the oven, but we sliced it anyway and then toasted it.

Did I say this was really good!!!??? I could sit down and eat half a loaf all by myself. I think he'll be happy with this substitute. He especially likes whole wheat and this tastes so much like it, and it has the fiber he wants.

I used only water (no milk), used arrowroot instead of cornstarch, and used flax meal I had ground myself (flax seed in a blender - works like a charm). It really has too many eggs for me, so I'm going to try it without and see what happens. I can't use Enger-g egg replacer because of the corn it. Any suggestions from you eggless bakers?? It already has flax, so probably can't use that.

Hi,
We are eggless as well. One good eggless option is to use some applesauce as a binder, but you still need another rising agent. Here is an egg replacer recipe. It calls for baking powder, so here is a recipe for corn free baking powder. Hope this is helpful.
Amy

Egg Replacer
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp corn free baking powder (see below)
Combined ingredients replaces one egg

Corn Free Baking Powder
cup baking soda
cup arrowroot flour
cup cream of tartar
Blend well and store in refrigerator in an airtight container. Mix before each use. Eack 1 teaspoons is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of baking powder.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,806 posts

Posted 13 January 2007 - 08:28 PM

Well I thought I would add my two cents in about this bread recipe!!!! In one word it was wonderful.I had so many flours that wouldn't by themselves make a recipe of anything so I just used all these different flours . I wasn't sure what I would end up with plus I'm not a wonderful bread maker.... I don't know what got into me but I experimented & it was soooo good. My husband ate half the loaf !!!! By the way he is not celiac. So I made a hit with the bread. The real test was with the kids ..... when they got to eat a slice they raved about how soft it was....there went the other half loaf....
The best thing about it for me was it is so easy....

hope you all try it.

mamaw

#48 jaten

jaten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:45 AM

I've ordered some sorghum flour just so I can try this recipe! Yum, I can't wait....this many Celiacs can't be wrong :lol:

#49 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

Yep, it's good. You can use any flour combo. I use Annalise Roberts flour combo since I have some mixed already. I just added some amaranth but haven't tried that loaf yet.

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#50 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

Is it really that good????

I'm missing bread and want to make some (I'm going to bake my gluten-free pantry mix first. BUT....) is it really good? REALLY????

#51 mamatide

mamatide

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

BUT....) is it really good? REALLY????

Yep!

#52 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

BUT....) is it really good? REALLY????

You bet. My gluten-eating husband really likes it - even my first attempt which was sort of a flop because I let it rise too long. He's anxious for me to bake another loaf.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#53 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

Sheesh.

I can't tell you guys - this makes me feel pretty darn good about myself!
Gluten-free, Vegan

#54 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

Sheesh.

Gluten-free, Vegan

#55 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

Sheesh.

And well you should. :)
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#56 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

Good Grief! Ty is becoming so daring with his school lunches! Last week he strayed from his banana bread/hard boiled egg/pepperoni/cheese lunch that he's been eating every school day for two years to have ham & cheese rolled up in rice paper wrappers, and now he's announced that tomorrow he wants have a jam sandwich! (No PB allowed in his class, it's "discouraged", but not forbidden.)

I had half the loaf pictured on the left in the freezer and it's coming out for sandwiches. He had toast 2x today (we use the Toasta bags). I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make bread and ended up using it for crumbs.

Now the big question...Laurie, do you have a hamburger/hot dog bun recipe something a bit less whole wheaty for buns and a pizza recipe? I'm off to recipezaar to double check.

Thanks Laurie!
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#57 kolka

kolka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:17 PM

I haven't seen this sorghum flour anywhere. Have been to Whole Foods, Central Market (a larger, even nicer Whole Foods), and two large Asian Supermarkets here in Dallas.

I'm wondering if this is a real Flour, or a starch flour. A real flour will have fiber & protein listed on the nutrition label. A starch flour will have neither, only calories.

If someone that has some sorghum flour would be so kind as to look at the label and let me know, then I could figure out what to sustitute it with.

Thanks, lm

For what it's worth, I bought my 6 lb. bag of sorghum for $5 at the local Indian grocer near me. The Indians call it Jowal or Jawal. I googled it and I also asked the grocer - the name is different, but it is the same thing. They also have ghee, of course, but it's not cheap. It's about $8 per pound.
DD: gluten-free/casein-free, soy lite, corn lite
Me: Vegan

#58 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

Good Grief! Ty is becoming so daring with his school lunches! Last week he strayed from his banana bread/hard boiled egg/pepperoni/cheese lunch that he's been eating every school day for two years to have ham & cheese rolled up in rice paper wrappers, and now he's announced that tomorrow he wants have a jam sandwich! (No PB allowed in his class, it's "discouraged", but not forbidden.)

I had half the loaf pictured on the left in the freezer and it's coming out for sandwiches. He had toast 2x today (we use the Toasta bags). I can't tell you how many times I've tried to make bread and ended up using it for crumbs.

Now the big question...Laurie, do you have a hamburger/hot dog bun recipe something a bit less whole wheaty for buns and a pizza recipe? I'm off to recipezaar to double check.

Thanks Laurie!

I do have tonnes more that I haven't posted. I don't make buns often, but I made them once (adapting from this recipe), and they turned out nicely, except a little mishapen! I'll dig up the recipe. I should post what I make more often.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement.
Gluten-free, Vegan

#59 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

I do have tonnes more that I haven't posted. I don't make buns often, but I made them once (adapting from this recipe), and they turned out nicely, except a little mishapen! I'll dig up the recipe. I should post what I make more often.

Thanks again for all of the encouragement.

I'd love them!
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#60 lorka150

lorka150

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:27 PM

i will send you what i have! i just dont have a minute right now, because when i make things from scratch, i write them down in a cookbook, then later type them up. i haven't typed so many (i'm so behind) but i want to give you more! just remind me a couple of days please!
Gluten-free, Vegan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: