This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heat Intolerance Anyone?

outOfThisWorld

outOfThisWorld Newbie

Now I really struggle in heat, and since it is summer here in australia I feel some what limited in what I can do. When I get into a hot car I flush, sweat and feel extremely uncomfortable due to the heat. Basically I am intolerant to heat. I can walk around in winter in shorts and tshirts and often dont feel cold.

I understand that heat intolerance can be associated with thyroid problems, but I was wondering if anyone has experienced this from celiac, and if gluten-free helped to reduce/eliminate problem?

Thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Kaycee Collaborator

I don't have this problem. I did when I was a bit more overweight. Would that be a possibility?

I know Australia is hotter than here in New Zealand so it could be the heat and when I plan my holidays over there I try not to do it inthe summer.

As for summer we have not got it yet here in Northland. It is warmish, but that is about all.

I notice now, and probably because of my age I get flushes and then I feel the cold more.

Cathy

outOfThisWorld Newbie

Lets just say I am definetely not overweight. In fact I am very skinny and struggle to put on weight. Thats why I am struggling to understand it. I sweat a lot, get flushed and very hot easily; yet I am skinny and get told I look fit. Its very frustrating since I can't get my head around it and I have been like this for many years.

I don't have this problem. I did when I was a bit more overweight. Would that be a possibility?

I know Australia is hotter than here in New Zealand so it could be the heat and when I plan my holidays over there I try not to do it inthe summer.

As for summer we have not got it yet here in Northland. It is warmish, but that is about all.

I notice now, and probably because of my age I get flushes and then I feel the cold more.

Cathy

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yes I did, notice the past tense there. I also had problems with the cold. My internal thermostat seems to have finally regulated. I didn't have any problems with out 90 degree summer days like I used to and this winter I can keep my heat at 65 and feel comfy. It did take a long time to resolve, but then again it took a long time to heal with a lot of my gluten related problems, but healing has helped this issue.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I am thin and heat intolerant, but for me it's a symptom of Lyme Disease rather than my gluten intolerance.

Bacteria don't like heat (that's why you get a fever naturally), so could you have some kind of chronic bacterial infection?

I thought being cold was associated with thyroid, but maybe that's only when it's low.

RiceGuy Collaborator

I also have been intolerant to heat, and still am to some degree (pun intended). I would develop a severe migraine-type of headache, and be very dizzy, body trembling, turn white, and feeling about to faint at any moment. If it got bad enough I'd puke too. This would begin at around 75F if I was sitting still in the shade. Any physical activity required a lower temp to avoid getting ill.

After being gluten-free, this has lessened a bit I think, though I haven't had to put it to any real test yet, thank goodness.

Electra Enthusiast

NOPE I'm the opposite. I am cold all the time!! I used to have hot flashes before I found out I had Celiac and went Glutan Free, but haven't had any in a while. I'm FREEZING most of the time and LOVE the heat!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Donna F Enthusiast

I've been heat intolerant too, although I believe I am better since being gluten-free. Weak, dizzy, headache, etc... I try to spend as much time as possible indoors in the summer.

I always attributed it to my hypoglycemia. The heat tends to make my sugar drop very quickly, thus the symptoms which, for me, are hypoglycemia symptoms. This same thing happens if I exert myself. Even if I've eaten within a reasonable amount of time, if I exert myself I find my sugar dropping quickly as though I hadn't eaten at all.

outOfThisWorld Newbie

Its good to hear I am not the only one experiencing this, although I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Anyway I should get celiac bloodtest results in a couple of days. As I see it I will be going gluten-free no matter what the results. I highly doubt I will get positive results so I will probably true going gluten-free for a short period of time and see what happens.

Generic Apprentice

All during the time before I was diagnosed at age 13, I was a radiator. I was extremely skinny. The last year before my diagnosis I looked like an ethiopian child. I was so warm that when my family went camping my parents and my sister would argue over who I would sleep with. (to keep them warm) LOL

I too, would get very sweaty, dizzy and about 95% of the time i woud throw up. I have been gluten free for about 19 years now and I tend to be cold more so than hot. It took about 5 or 6 years for it to go away, but it sure didn't happen quite as often. Maybe once a year in the summer.

On rare occassion I will get that over heating feeling, but I think it has been when I have gotten a mild glutening and I am unaware of it otherwise. I now love the warm summers. On a side note I do know when I have been glutened that I tend to be alot warmer (I can't tell). Boyfriends, etc. have mentioned it to me in the past.

FYI if I'm not making any sense i'm on percocet from surgery so forgive me. I'm a little loopy. LOL

Laurie

Viola 1 Rookie

I also have trouble with heat. Much rather have the cold, you can at least dress for that. If my friends and family want to golf with me they have to go out very early in the morning. :lol: And we live in Canada.

lorka150 Collaborator

Heat intolerance is actually a very common symptom of MS. The doctors joke is that the 'real' diagnosis is to see if they can stand up after you plunk 'em in a hot tub.

outOfThisWorld Newbie

Got my Celiac bloodtest results back today and everything is normal. Now I just have to figure out which path to take.

Heat intolerance is actually a very common symptom of MS. The doctors joke is that the 'real' diagnosis is to see if they can stand up after you plunk 'em in a hot tub.
  • 1 year later...
SacGFGirl Explorer

I've been sensitive to heat and humidity since I can remember. The heat makes me really tired, unproductive, gives me horribble headaches and makes me cranky. I've been gluten free for almost 4 years, but in the summertime I have to wake up really early to get things done because all I can do is nap in the afternoon. Is heat sensitive a symptom of celiac disease? What about fainting? That happens sometimes too but it sometimes is linked to heat and other times I'm not sure. Does anyone have any suggestions or answers? Thanks

sandpiper Apprentice
Got my Celiac bloodtest results back today and everything is normal. Now I just have to figure out which path to take.

Just a quick thought about your symptoms and your recent tests that are back. Have you had your thyroid panel done recently? If so, did the doctor run more than just the normal TSH? Running your free T4 and free T3 is a better test to check, as these tests will start to be a more accurate judge of how and what your thyroid is doing. Also getting a ultra sound of the gland. I don't know if you mentioned your age, but alot of woman more than men will have a thyroid issue after fifty, or having given childern.

I was dx with graves disease way too late and suffered with it for years. Heat intolerance and sweating racing heart, fatigue, mood swings, and alot of other "fun" symptoms can go along with this disease. I went gluten-free about seven years ago and decided to challenge it back in my diet to be tested, I could only take this challenge for two weeks as I felt the results too much. If your tests have come back negative, as many will probably state here and agree if eating gluten free does make you feel better then that could be an answer enough for you.

Hope that you can get some answers soon and feel better.

Best to you,

Susie

Archived