#16 burdee

burdee

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 10:08 AM

Terri:
Do you or members of your family have any diabetes history? According to Ron Hoggan's "Dangerous Grains" book, gluten, casein and soy are diabetogenic foods. He speculates that consumption of those 3 ingredients has influenced the epidemic of diabetes during the past several decades. My father, his mother, grandmother and greatgrandmother all had and died from diabetes complications.

I am gluten/casein/soy intolerant. Not having soy to substitute for dairy was TERRIBLY DIFFICULT at first :angry: but I eventually adjusted and found many new favorite foods. My initial desperation and dairy cravings just told me how 'addicted' (ala casein digests and opiate peptide theory) I was to dairy. However, excruciatingly painful symptoms from those 3 ingredients motivated me to find substitutes. I'll take feeling healthy and painfree over my former dairy, soy and gluten 'favorites' any day! :D
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 03 September 2004 - 01:57 PM

Terri -

Can a person handle goat cheese if their villi are damaged? That is something that is confusing me!!! I desperately would like a substitute for cheese and have tried some goat's milk as an alternative for cow's milk when cooking, but haven't been brave enough to drink a glass or try goat's cheese. Also, do you know if the fat content is as high in goat's cheese as it is in cow's cheese? I hope you are doing well with the substitution!!!

Burdee -

I bought the book "Dangerous Grains" but haven't read it yet since I bought a whole bunch of other books at the same time and have been glued to cookbooks and these Celiac forums. I suppose I should break down and read it since it is fascinating to me what you said about gluten, casein, and soy being diabetogenic foods. Diabetes runs in my family and I had gestational diabetes and am being tested for Type II in November since I have had some elevated fasting blood sugars. When I was in the process of trying to figure out what the heck I was eating that was causing me so much trouble, I was able to figure out without a doubt, that soy messes me up big-time. I get really foggy-headed and feel like my blood pressure is dropping. I've been off dairy for a long time because of the stomach pain it was causing me (I assume from the damaged villi), but I used to eat a lot of it. I'm glad you mentioned that about the book, because now I am going to actually read it instead of just walking past it!!!

Lisa in NC

#18 lilliexx

lilliexx

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 04:43 PM

i dont think i will need to bother introducing dairy back into my diet. I am 1 week dairy free and i havnt felt this good in a long long time. i have been using a non dairy creamer and fake cheese with milk proten and they havnt bothered me. i will officialy go to the doctor this week and have a test to see if i am lactose intolerent. but until then i wont be consuming any dairy!
Gluten free since July 2004

I have made it one year and feel much much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#19 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

If you're just lactose intolerant, you can try adding dairy back in after a few months (so your intestines have time to heal, and the villia (the tips of which produce lactase) can do their thing again), or try using lactaid - a supplement of lactase that allows you to digest the milk sugar. (Unfortunately, there isn't any such thing for the milk protein. :-/ )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#20 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 04:55 AM

Hi,
Sorry I took so long to reply but 3 days off will do that! :) No one in my family has ever had diabetes so that's a relief! Goat cheese has casein also but not the alpha casein that cow's milk has. Goat milk is far closer to human milk than cow's milk is. I have had zero reaction to the goat cheese and I've been eating a lot of it! Someone mentioned on another board that feta cheese was okay. Not sure about it but I bought crumbled goat cheese to use on my salads. For some very interesting reading about the ills of cow's milk you might want to check out www.dogtorj.com He's a vetrinarian with Celiac that has done a tremendous amount of research into what makes us sick. I felt wonderful by Saturday and then we had company and she brought a dip and there we go! But, I'm back on the elimination diet again and will have more willpower this time! I think the fat content is only 5 grams with the goat cheese and 10 grams with regular cheese. I am now not eating gluten, casein, soy or corn for the next four days. Then I'll introduce one thing back and measure my reactions. I found Smart Beat mayo has no soybean oil or dairy and only 10 calories, so I used that in my chicken salad today. Good luck everybody!!
Terri
Northern Virginia

gluten-free since March 27, 2004

#21 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:14 PM

Terri -

Thanks for the info!! I'm definitely going to buy some goat's cheese and see how my daughter and I like it. I tried to buy some more goat's milk over the weekend and the store only had two cartons that had both expired. ARGH!! I'll have to go back tomorrow and see if they received their shipment yet. I made a gluten-free pizza crust using the Chebe mix on Friday - it was kind of crunchy, but had a neat flavor - we both liked it (although if my older daughter had been here, she would have hated it), but I was so worried about trying cheese that I only ate a little bit and then pulled the cheese off the remaining pieces to eat the next day more like bread sticks. I'd like to just be able to enjoy the pizza and not worry about what the cheese is doing to me. I will definitely check out the website you mentioned. I've still been using Hellman's mayo...let me know if the Smart Beat tasted any good and I'll have to be on the lookout for that. I really should get myself motivated to do an elimination diet with eggs, but I avoided them for so many years, I've been enjoying having them back in my diet, but I am noticing some problems again, just not as severe. I haven't been doing any dairy and I know soy bothers me, so I've already been avoiding that for the most part, but it is also hidden in things like the veggie broth in tuna packed in water and the salmon packed in water. I've been eating those little bits occasionally and have been fine.

As an off topic thing, I noticed you are from NOVA. I grew up in Vienna, VA and moved here to NC in 1998 for my husbands work. I miss VA!!! Do you live close to Vienna? My parents still live there and my brother lives in Chantilly.

LISA in NC

#22 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:26 PM

Hi Lisa,
Yep! I work in Tysons Corner and as you know, Vienna couldn't get any closer. My husband works in Chantilly. Small world. I think that six degrees of separation theory really works! My husband probably knows your brother, ha ha. I read some more on the goat milk cow milk thing. A lot of people who are allegic to cow's milk are also allegic to goat milk. However, if it's the casein you're allergic to, then goat's milk will not be a problem. So, the best thing to do is to test it. I didn't know about the soy in tuna. All tuna? I love tuna. I'll just wash it before I mix in the mayo. That should take care of it! The Smart Beat worked fine. I made chicken salad with grapes and walnuts and craisins and used the Smart Beat. It was delicious. See, we can find lots of yummy foods to eat. Like you, I'm a pizza nut, so will be trying one soon with goat cheese, or just mozzerella and suffer the consequences. I figure we can cheat sometimes with the dairy unlike with gluten. I mean, we wouldn't damage our intestines with dairy right? We just get some nasty reactions. I don't know, this is still so confusing.
Terri
Northern Virginia

#23 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:44 PM

The last thing I read on cross reactivity between cows milk and goats milk suggested that, since there is some of all forms of casein in both (albeit at decidedly different proportions), some people may not tolerate either - even if it's the primary cows milk casein that's bothering them. But some people may tolerate goats milk where they won't tolerate cows, so it's certainly worth a shot! (I should try it out soon!)
Bellevue, WA

#24 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:01 PM

Terri: Thanks for that website www.dogterj.com. He wrote soooo much about the three ingredients that zap me (gluten, dairy and soy). I understand much better how I will probably never be able to consume any of those without bad reactions. I kept reading posts about how intolerances other than gluten would disappear after my intestines healed. After reading his website I don't think I want to ever consume soy, dairy or gluten again. :o
BURDEE

Gluten, dairy, soy, egg, cane sugar, vanilla and nutmeg free. Enterolab diagnosed gluten/casein intolerant 7/04; soy intolerant 8/07. ELISA test diagnosed egg/cane sugar IgG allergies 8/06; vanilla/nutmeg 8/06. 2006-10 diagnosed by DNA Microbial stool tests and successfully treated: Klebsiella, Enterobacter Cloaecae, Cryptosporidia, Candida, C-diff, Achromobacter, H. Pylori and Dientamoeba Fragilis. 6/10 Heidelberg capsule test diagnosed hypochloridia. Vitamin D deficiency, hypothyroiditis, hypochloridia and low white blood cells caused vulnerability to infections. I now take Betaine HCl, probiotics, Vitamin D and T3 thyroid supplement to maintain immunity.

#25 terri

terri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:43 AM

You're right Burdee! I don't either. It helps a lot to read it. And what he said about Menopause was so true in my case! He said soy, dairy and grains produce too much estrogen in our bodies which can cause hot flashes (in a nutshell, he goes into a much more expansive explanation) and by eliminating those foods the hot flashes, etc. should be vastly reduced. Works for me! I'm sleeping like a baby now too. This is all listed under his appetizer section if you want to read more. I also got Dr. Mercola's book and he advises giving up all grains including rice and all starches. That's not very easy. I lasted 36 hours. ;)
Terri
Northern Virginia

#26 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:08 PM

Hey Terri: Well, I guess I'm an exception to the theory that menopausal difficulties are caused by dairy/soy/grains producing too much estrogen. :blink: Menopause was a nonevent for me. :lol: But then I didn't have excess natural estrogen producing/retaining body fat at that time. I wasn't underweight, but at the low end of normal. :unsure:

However, I read just about everything on the 'dogterj' website. It certainly explained how our poor doggy got cancer of the spleen which spread throughout her body after her spleen was removed. I never did like the notion of feeding dogs low protein, low fat, high grain (mostly cornmeal) dog chow. If I ever have another dog, I will NEVER feed it commercial dogfood. Those are all worthless, even the ones with vitamins added to the basic grain formula. <_<

I won't go so far as give up all grains, though I'm not a big starch consumer anyway, but I'm curious about Dr. Mercola's book. What's the title and his full name?
BURDEE

#27 lisa922

lisa922

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 01:20 PM

Terri -

Yes, I definitely remember Tysons Corner! I used to work at the mall for a store called "Camalier & Buckley" before they went out of business. It is definitely a small world, that's for sure!!

I'm glad you liked the Smart Beat. I haven't looked it up on the internet yet to see where I can get it, but I'll have to do that. I only eat the tuna that is packed in water, and the other day when I looked, the major brands all had soy listed in () after the vegetable broth ingredient. My guess is that it has always had soy in it and that the manufacturers are just getting better about listing things since they will have to do it in the future. I'm really guessing/hoping that little amount won't bother me, but I will keep looking for soy-free.

I'm thinking you're right about it being ok to cheat occasionally with dairy...I will be the same way, I'm sure. I did ok with my pizza test, though, so that is encouraging. Interesting about the excess estrogen theory...I think that has happened to me.

Take care,
LISA in NC

#28 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:02 PM

you can find some tuna that's really just packed in water - tuna, water, salt (or no salt) - and avoid the broth entirely. I've found it at whole foods and wild oats.
Bellevue, WA

#29 burdee

burdee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:06 PM

Tiffany: I had given up on tuna, since most 'water-pack' actually includes soybean oil and I can't tolerate soy. What brand is that truly water-packed tuna? Is it the Whole Foods brand or another?
BURDEE

#30 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:44 PM

I don't remember the brands - there were a couple. I have not called the company, but there is no mention of ANYTHING but tuna, water, and salt (I like the salted version). You might just check the ingredients the next time you head out there. (I _think_ the one I get from Wild Oats is Nature's Value.)
Bellevue, WA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: