11 replies to this topic

#1 Mike44

Mike44

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 11:54 AM

Are these conditions more pronounced in Coeliacs?

Mike.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 AndreaB

AndreaB

November 2008

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,978 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

I don't know the answer to that. My son broke out in eczema and cleared up after going gluten/soy free. He breaks out with eczema for his food intolerances it seems.

I have eczema that hasn't totally cleared going gluten free, but it generally seems a little better. I always have flare ups in the fall/winter so for me I think it must be related to something other than food (at least in part).

Andrea

Enterolab positive results only June 06:
Me HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0301; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2, 7)
Husband HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201; HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0302; Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (subtype 2,8)

The whole family has been soy free since February, gluten free since June 2006.

The whole family went back to a gluten diet October 2011.  We never had official testing done and I decided to give gluten a go again.  At this point I've decided to work on making some gluten free things again, though healthwise everyone seems to be fine.  The decision to add gluten back in was also made based on other things I'd read about the 2nd sequence of genes.  It is my belief that we had a gluten intolerance, but thanks to things I've learned here, I know more what to keep an eye on.  If you have a confirmed case of celiac, please don't go back to gluten, it's a lifelong lifestyle change.

#3 LisaJ

LisaJ

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

I don't know, but my psoriasis has sure gotten alot better since I've gone gluten free!
Lisa

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page" -St. Augustine

#4 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 January 2007 - 06:41 PM

i, too, am a lifelong eczema sufferer, and although it has improved since i've gone gluten free, i still break out due to other allergies (like tree pollen season) and alot of handwashing without lotioning afterwards. i don't know about psoriasis, but i believe that eczema breakouts are mainly related to some sort of allergic reaction whether to food or other noxious materials. oh, and i use gold bond ultimate healing lotion to treat my patches. it's a Godsend.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

#5 tiredofdoctors!!!

tiredofdoctors!!!

Will NOT let this disease diminish me!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

According to my doctors, yes, it is more pronounced in Celiacs. I have seborrhic dermatitis (fancy words for seborrhea) . . . it's between eczema and psoriasis . . . . so I guess I'm on the side of the fence that's proving them right!
Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

#6 nikki-uk

nikki-uk

Out running.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,957 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 04:10 AM

My hubby had psoriasis before going gluten-free...it completely disappeared after going gluten-free.
I've had eczema all my life and although I'm not a coeliac I went gluten-free as hubby + 1 son are coeliacs.My eczema greatly improved when I went gluten-free.
Hmmmm,- not sure I understand why though!! :blink:
It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required - Sir Winston Churchill

Nikki

Son diagnosed with Coeliac Disease Oct 2006 by biopsy (at age 13yrs)

Posted Image

#7 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:46 PM

I have psoriasis and did have psoriatic arthritis. They both went away when I eliminated wheat/gluten, dairy, eggs and soy. The psoriasis has come back though, even though I am gluten-free. I don't eat soy at all and eat very limited amounts of eggs and dairy (a little butter, a little goat cheese). No problems with the psoriatic arthritis though. I think other food intolerances can contribute to psoriasis. My psoriasis is MUCH better though than it was before.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#8 ArtGirl

ArtGirl

Winter Forest - watercolor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

I have just a few very mild spots of ezcema on my face and also some what I think is psoriasis on my forehead. Although they've been worse in the past, there hasn't been much change since going allergen-free. In fact, a new tiny spot of ezcema popped up just a few weeks ago. But maybe it will take several more months for improvement - I can only hope.
Valda
Enterolab results: ...two genes for gluten intolerance ...casein intolerance
other sensitivities: corn, eggs, soy, potato, tapioca
Hypoglycemic
Sensitivity to high EMFs [electromagnetic frequency] (limits my time in front of the computer)
Living a healthier, happier life.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.Psalm 139: 9,10

#9 Katydid

Katydid

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 01:47 PM

;) I've always wondered if the Psoriais in celiacs is often just misdiagnosed DH that can accompany celiac disease. Don't they look and act a lot alike?

My hubby was diagnosed with Psoriais many years before being diagnosed with Celiac (although he did have all the celiac symptoms) and nothing seemed to help. But strangely, after going gluten free, it diminished and eventually disappeared completely. He had it very bad on his knees, elbows, knuckles and bottom. With such improvement after being diagnosed with Celiac and going gluten free, we just always assumed it probably had been DH all along.

Kay

#10 deb.h.

deb.h.

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

[My psoriasis and excema were really bad before going gluten and dairy free and cleared completey after a couple of years. Is started putting dairy back in in small amounts like cream in coffee the occasional DQ icecream and that is about it and it came back. Take it out and a fews days later it is gone. So for sure it is Gluten but I have to eliminate 100% of the dairy as well and preservatives.

quote name='Katydid' date='Jan 5 2007, 04:47 PM' post='253158']
;) I've always wondered if the Psoriais in celiacs is often just misdiagnosed DH that can accompany celiac disease. Don't they look and act a lot alike?

My hubby was diagnosed with Psoriais many years before being diagnosed with Celiac (although he did have all the celiac symptoms) and nothing seemed to help. But strangely, after going gluten free, it diminished and eventually disappeared completely. He had it very bad on his knees, elbows, knuckles and bottom. With such improvement after being diagnosed with Celiac and going gluten free, we just always assumed it probably had been DH all along.

Kay
[/quote]
Debbie

gluten-free since Jan.1,2003

#11 Bubs

Bubs

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:01 AM

This is my first post EVER so please bear with me. I was diagnosed with psoriasis some 30 years ago, although I never believed I actually had it! Its a Looong story. I actually suffer from DH but do not seem to have an issue with any GI matters; however I have a brother who has serious GI issues, and a daughter who suffered from severe ocular migraines in her early teens until all gluten was removed from her diet. My DH is a scalp and face issue, yet my father suffered DH (which I now retrospectively realise) on his feet and ankles. Anyway, as interesting as this all may or may not be my reason for posting this is that I was interested to discover that current research suggests that celiac problems are related to chromosome 6. I found this very interesting as I also am dyslexic and current research on dyslexia also shows that this condition is also related to chromosome 6. For relief of HD breakouts I use a 50/50 mix of organic Apple Cider Vinegar and isopropyl alchohol. Its bliss.

Are these conditions more pronounced in Coeliacs?

Mike.

#12 Lymetoo

Lymetoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

I know MANY people whose eczema disappeared after several months on mangosteen juice [get the original!!] Psoriasis.......GREATLY improved on this juice! Don't believe me? That's OK!!
Negative biopsy for celiac 1980
Fibromyalgia 1980
IBS 1980
Interstitial Cystitis 1992
Systemic yeast
Diagnosed w/ Chronic Lyme Disease 2000
Diagnosed w/ Chronic babesia 2000
Tachycardia 2001
Asthma 2005
Have had Lyme and babesia for
about 48 yrs.

Began gluten-free July 19 '06