4 replies to this topic

#1 irish

irish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 12:52 PM

I will be traveling to Los Angeles 2nd Week in February and I would like to know if there is any Gluten Free Restaurants that I may eat in. I appreciate any help I could get thanks. Loretta

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 25 January 2004 - 03:22 PM

Where in LA? There are PF Changs and Outbacks all over the place. (Check yahoo yellow pages for the addresses.) There may well be other restaurants, like mexican places, that you can work with the staff to find something you can have. I'm sure you'll find places, but for specific recommendations, it's helpful to know where in LA you're going to be. (It's a big sprawling mess down here... ;-) )
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 irish

irish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 08:00 AM

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP TARNALBERRY, THIS WILL BE MY FIRST TIME TRAVELING AFTER BEING DIAGNOSED WITH CELIAC. I WILL STAYING AT THE WESTIN BONAVENTURE HOTEL IN DOWNTOWN LA. I AM JUST WORRYING ABOUT GETTING SICK AND RUINING MY VACATION.LORETTA

#4 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:01 AM

Don't worry too much. There are more restaurants than you can shake a stick at in LA, and more health conscious, special diet options than you might think. Can be tricky to find them, but some web searches will help.

For starters, there's a PF Changs (they have a gluten-free menu) at the Beverly Center (121 N. La Cienega Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90048. (310) 854-6467).

There's an Outback Steakhouse (they have a gluten-free menu) ten miles from there in Burbank (1761 N. Victory Place, Burbank, CA 91504 (818)567-2717).

This site, http://www.vegparadi...estaurants.html, lists vegetarian restaurants, which I put as an option because they can be more accustomed to vegans asking about ingredients and are likely to be more knowledgeable about those ingredients. (No guarantees they'll help, but they're an option.)

There's a Whole Foods (which is an upscale health-food store - good selection, but can be pricey) a few miles from there (6350 West 3rd Street, Los Angeles, CA 90036, 323.964.6800).

A touch farther than that is Bristol Farms (even more upsclale than Whole Foods) though I doubt they'd have a much larger selection of gluten-free stuff than Whole Foods (7880 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90046, (323) 874-6301).

From the looks of things, the Bonaventure's restaurants also could probably handle your requests - particularly if you call ahead of time and let them know about it. I'm sure a google search will find you other resources. You could try calling the Celiac Disease Foundation, based in LA at (818) 990-2354, but I don't know how helpful they will be. But this list of links, http://www.celiac.org/connections.htm, that they list might have some useful people on it.

Good luck! I'm sure with a little bit of attention, you'll be fine.

Tiffany
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#5 irish

irish

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 28 January 2004 - 10:35 AM

Thanks Tiffany you been a great help. I just don't want to ruin my vacation. I am only going for a couple of days. Loretta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: