This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Newly Diagnosed

JenD.

JenD. Newbie

Hi there -

I was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease and am not really sure where to begin. I pretty much suspected this all along, but now that it's a reality, all the things that I need to do are overwhelming me. I am so glad to have found this board - and I've already found some very good information just skimming through. I also got a book by Danna Korn, called wheat free, worry free which seems to be very good. I was just wondering - should I eat all natural foods for a while to let my body heal and then get more adventurous with finding gluten free items. I've read, for example, that some people have problems with vinegar and others do not. I'm worried that if I eat questionable items before my body has healed, that I won't be able to tell if something like vinegar bothers me or not. Should i just stick to plain meats, fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. for a few weeks or is this overkill?? Your help would be so much appreciated. Also is there a good way to call and ask manufacturers about their products (for when I start being more "adventurous") or do I just call and say "does this ingredient/product have gluten?" Oh and does anyone know of a good support group in the Peoria, IL area. OK that's it for now.

Thank you so much and so glad to be a part of this forum now!!

Sincerely

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Welcome

Staches and sugars (including lactose) may be hard to digest for the first few months. Eating gluten results in the destruction of villi in the small intesine. These villi contain enzymes which digest starches and sugars; therefore, if they aren't present, then they go through the digestive tract undigested (I believe this is explained better in the book you have). When the villi heal, these foods can be digested again.

Lactose intolerance is common for the first few months until the villi heal. Foods high in starch may also cause problems for a while (potatoes, corn, some gluten-free products such as pasta and bread).

flagbabyds Collaborator

Welcome!

first I have to say that my dad grew up in Peoria but we don't live there anymore.

I would say go lactose free for a while cause that is what most people do.

For calling manufacturers just call and ask if the product has gluten and have the product with you so you have the bar code and such.

CMCM Rising Star

Carrie....wow, I knew about lactose and the villi, but somehow I'd never read about starches and sugars in general also being a problem due to villi damage. I'd looked at everything to explain my digestive woes...and had always figured it must be starches and sugars and dairy that gave me the very obvious problems. This would explain a LOT! I can never eat corn or potatoes, and certain dairy foods give me more problems than others (but I feel best with NO dairy). Maybe I have more villi damage than I realized! When I got the Enterolab tests they were all strong positive except for the malabsorption test, which was quite normal and a low number (64, I think, where less than 300 is considered normal). SO.....I figured nothing too bad was going on in terms of intestinal damage, but maybe I'm wrong in assuming that....

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Hi Carrie -- Welcome to the board! You're already on the right track joining here. You will find some of the most knowledgeable, compassionate people here -- more than you can imagine. My dietician recommended that I get the GIG lists for gluten-free products. They're updated each year, and this year they have a separate one for medications. The total cost for both is $67.00, and is well worth it. You can get them on their website. Also, calling the companies is sometimes VERY frustrating . . . they will say "we don't add gluten to our products..." but when you continue and ask if they querie their suppliers with regard to THEIR gluten-free status, they say, "all I can tell you is that we don't add gluten to any of our products." Hmmmm......... I finally gave up my quest and stopped calling! I had been on a mission to call the companies and insist on answers, but got tired of them tap dancing around the issue!

I would recommend that you look at the products and foods categories here, kind of "scroll back" looking for things in particular that you're interested in -- you may find some good information there, but also grab that GIG info!

Don't want to say, "So happy that you're Celiac" :rolleyes: , but do want you to know that you're so welcome here. Take care,

Lynne

GlutenWrangler Contributor

I think it's a great idea to just eat fresh foods for a while. Fresh foods are the most nutritious for the body, and your body needs all it can get while healing. You may find that you cannot tolerate certain foods, especially dairy, but as your villi grow back, you should be able to re-introduce them. Keep in mind that celiacs also have other food sensitivities, including casein (milk protein), soy, eggs, yeast, and corn. It's not a bad idea to have yourself tested for other food allergies. Eating fresh foods eliminates the need to call the manufacturers. If you do need to know whether a certain product contains glute, there are plenty of lists available. There are some limited lists on ClanThompson.com. Also, if you take medications, make sure to check if they contain gluten. I found this list online for drugs: glutenfreedrugs.com. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck.

-Brian

JenD. Newbie

Thanks everyone for your responses -

It feels so good to have other people out there who understand and know what they are doing. I really appreciate all the help I can get! Thanks again!

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Jen,

Welcome to the board ---- we are happy you have found us.

Everyone takes different approaches...some go "simple/natural," some just start substituting foods, and some go somewhere in between. The best approach is what will work best for you. I was pretty much in the "middle"

My favorite pasta is Tinkyada brand rice pasta....it is delicious!

(Side note: In regards to vinegar: the vast majority of people with only gluten related problems do ok with vinegar. The American Dietetic Association has stated that distilled vinegars ARE gluten free. https://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...53107595400.d2)

Let us know what we can do to help!

Laura

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I can never eat corn or potatoes, and certain dairy foods give me more problems than others (but I feel best with NO dairy).
In the book I read (I think it's the Danna Korn one), I learned that the enzymes that break down the starches are near the bottom/middle?(don't remember) of the villi and the enzymes that break down lactose are near the tips of the villi. The tips would heal last, so that explains why so many people with celiac disease have lactose intolerance for a while!

Archived