10 replies to this topic

#1 mommyhugz

mommyhugz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

We bought a Gluten-free all purpose baking mix made by Arrowhead Mills. On the back are recipes for biscuits, waffles and banana bread. Is there a way to make pancakes with this? Also, is the baking mix different than gluten-free flours? Sorry if these are dumb questions, and thanks for your response! :P

Heather
Son diagnosed with Autism in December 2005, age 2.5
Gluten-free/Casein-free diet as of January 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Sweetfudge

Sweetfudge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:31 AM

you can probably make pancakes w/ them. have you checked the brand's website? it may have a recipe to follow. if not, here's a link to eatingglutenfree.com they have great recipes. i bet you could just sub the mix for the one they suggest.

http://www.eatingglu...kfast/#pancakes

good luck!
Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT
Gluten-free since June 2006
Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991
Dairy-free for good since summer 2008
Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008
Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(
Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

#3 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:26 PM

We just had gluten free pancakes this morning. I looked at A LOT of recipes and then just made my old recipe and used white rice flour. They were so great! My kids didn't even notice a difference and my husband said "you can make these ALL the time". I was pleased...

Here's the recipe...

1 cup white rice flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbs oil

Mix well, cook on hot skillet.

They were REALLY good, we were all surprised!

I bet, also, if you went onto Arrowhead Mills website, they would have recipes using their flours/mixes.

ALSO....btw....the difference between a baking mix and a plain flour is that usually baking mixes have already added the baking powder/salt/soda (the levening agent to make them rise). Plain flours do not. SOMETIMES a baking mix already has the fat added into it too (like a bisquick - which you wouldn't use anyway b/c it's not gluten free - just using as an example).

Good luck!!!

#4 kolka

kolka

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

We just had gluten free pancakes this morning. I looked at A LOT of recipes and then just made my old recipe and used white rice flour. They were so great! My kids didn't even notice a difference and my husband said "you can make these ALL the time". I was pleased...

Here's the recipe...

1 cup white rice flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbs oil

They were REALLY good, we were all surprised!

I bet, also, if you went onto Arrowhead Mills website, they would have recipes using their flours/mixes.
ALSO....btw....the difference between a baking mix and a plain flour is that usually baking mixes have already added the baking powder/salt/soda (the levening agent to make them rise). Plain flours do not. SOMETIMES a baking mix already has the fat added into it too (like a bisquick - which you wouldn't use anyway b/c it's not gluten free - just using as an example).

Good luck!!!

So you don't need to add xanthan gum? I made some fried fish last night with a eatingglutenfree.com pancake recipe. It had xanthan gum. Ultimately, I got a crunchy, good end product, but the batter was . . . gummy(?) . . . it kept pulling back on itself. I had to add a lot more milk that the recipe called for. Should I have omitted the xanthan gum. I'm still kind of new at gluten-free baking/cooking.
DD: gluten-free/casein-free, soy lite, corn lite
Me: Vegan

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:29 PM

So you don't need to add xanthan gum? I made some fried fish last night with a eatingglutenfree.com pancake recipe. It had xanthan gum. Ultimately, I got a crunchy, good end product, but the batter was . . . gummy(?) . . . it kept pulling back on itself. I had to add a lot more milk that the recipe called for. Should I have omitted the xanthan gum. I'm still kind of new at gluten-free baking/cooking.

Pardon me for butting in here. When I make something with a breaded coating I leave out the xanthan gum. I've found that it gets thick and gummy like you discovered. I use xanthan gum in almost all my baking, but not for oven fried chicken or fish (or the fried onion rings I made).
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#6 kbabe1968

kbabe1968

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:09 PM

I'm REALLY new at this....but I've been reading a lot. I thought XGum was for when you wanted a bread like texture - that it replaced the elasticity that's normally created by the gluten? Maybe I'm wrong.

I did not notice ANYTHING different about the pancakes. They were light, fluffy. Maybe a LITTLE bit drier than normal BUT way good. WAY good!!!

#7 new to LI

new to LI

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

I use really great food co. or bob's red mill pancake mix both are really good.

#8 GFBetsy

GFBetsy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Another thing to note is that xanthan gum comes in different strengths. Sometimes I'll get a pkg. of xanthan gum that is so strong that I have to cut all my amounts in half when I make a recipe. That may be part of the problem. But if you are getting the batter will hold together without the xanthan gum, then just leave it out.

#9 edd

edd

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 03:02 AM

Here's the recipe...

1 cup white rice flour
1 Tbs sugar
2 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
1 cup milk
1 egg
2 Tbs oil

I have a few questions if you don't mind; does the oil go in the mixture or is it to grease the pan? How many pancakes should this recipe make? I've never cooked American style pancakes before and ended up with 2 enormous ones about 1cm thick, which were nice but probably meant for more than one person?

Thanks!

#10 JayT

JayT

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:23 AM

Pamela's baking mix is great too! I add some chocolate chips while the pancakes are cooking and my kids love them!!
I think even diced apples are wonderful to add with some cinnamon...
Dx and Gluten Free since 1996

#11 Cruiser Bob

Cruiser Bob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:42 AM

Kinnikinik makes a good pancake mix too.

OR, make crepes, kids love them.

Two eggs
1 cup milk (I use Almond milk, not dairy)
1 cup rice flour (I tried sourgum but it doesn't work as well) - or use 1 cup unlevened mix, or use corn starch
dash or so of Vanilla
1-2 TBLSP sugar

Whisk until smooth and creamy

Cook in hot pan in a little butter (I do mine first in olive oil - then the kids in butter)

Of course they are that much better if you use real butter and real milk.

Bob
gluten-free 1999

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: