This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pancake Recipe

mommyhugz

mommyhugz Newbie

We bought a Gluten-free all purpose baking mix made by Arrowhead Mills. On the back are recipes for biscuits, waffles and banana bread. Is there a way to make pancakes with this? Also, is the baking mix different than gluten-free flours? Sorry if these are dumb questions, and thanks for your response! :P

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Sweetfudge Community Regular

you can probably make pancakes w/ them. have you checked the brand's website? it may have a recipe to follow. if not, here's a link to eatingglutenfree.com they have great recipes. i bet you could just sub the mix for the one they suggest.

Open Original Shared Link

good luck!

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

We just had gluten free pancakes this morning. I looked at A LOT of recipes and then just made my old recipe and used white rice flour. They were so great! My kids didn't even notice a difference and my husband said "you can make these ALL the time". I was pleased...

Here's the recipe...

1 cup white rice flour

1 Tbs sugar

2 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

2 Tbs oil

Mix well, cook on hot skillet.

They were REALLY good, we were all surprised!

I bet, also, if you went onto Arrowhead Mills website, they would have recipes using their flours/mixes.

ALSO....btw....the difference between a baking mix and a plain flour is that usually baking mixes have already added the baking powder/salt/soda (the levening agent to make them rise). Plain flours do not. SOMETIMES a baking mix already has the fat added into it too (like a bisquick - which you wouldn't use anyway b/c it's not gluten free - just using as an example).

Good luck!!!

kolka Explorer
We just had gluten free pancakes this morning. I looked at A LOT of recipes and then just made my old recipe and used white rice flour. They were so great! My kids didn't even notice a difference and my husband said "you can make these ALL the time". I was pleased...

Here's the recipe...

1 cup white rice flour

1 Tbs sugar

2 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

2 Tbs oil

They were REALLY good, we were all surprised!

I bet, also, if you went onto Arrowhead Mills website, they would have recipes using their flours/mixes.

ALSO....btw....the difference between a baking mix and a plain flour is that usually baking mixes have already added the baking powder/salt/soda (the levening agent to make them rise). Plain flours do not. SOMETIMES a baking mix already has the fat added into it too (like a bisquick - which you wouldn't use anyway b/c it's not gluten free - just using as an example).

Good luck!!!

So you don't need to add xanthan gum? I made some fried fish last night with a eatingglutenfree.com pancake recipe. It had xanthan gum. Ultimately, I got a crunchy, good end product, but the batter was . . . gummy(?) . . . it kept pulling back on itself. I had to add a lot more milk that the recipe called for. Should I have omitted the xanthan gum. I'm still kind of new at gluten-free baking/cooking.

lonewolf Collaborator
So you don't need to add xanthan gum? I made some fried fish last night with a eatingglutenfree.com pancake recipe. It had xanthan gum. Ultimately, I got a crunchy, good end product, but the batter was . . . gummy(?) . . . it kept pulling back on itself. I had to add a lot more milk that the recipe called for. Should I have omitted the xanthan gum. I'm still kind of new at gluten-free baking/cooking.

Pardon me for butting in here. When I make something with a breaded coating I leave out the xanthan gum. I've found that it gets thick and gummy like you discovered. I use xanthan gum in almost all my baking, but not for oven fried chicken or fish (or the fried onion rings I made).

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I'm REALLY new at this....but I've been reading a lot. I thought XGum was for when you wanted a bread like texture - that it replaced the elasticity that's normally created by the gluten? Maybe I'm wrong.

I did not notice ANYTHING different about the pancakes. They were light, fluffy. Maybe a LITTLE bit drier than normal BUT way good. WAY good!!!

new to LI Newbie

I use really great food co. or bob's red mill pancake mix both are really good.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFBetsy Rookie

Another thing to note is that xanthan gum comes in different strengths. Sometimes I'll get a pkg. of xanthan gum that is so strong that I have to cut all my amounts in half when I make a recipe. That may be part of the problem. But if you are getting the batter will hold together without the xanthan gum, then just leave it out.

• 1 month later...
edd Newbie
Here's the recipe...

1 cup white rice flour

1 Tbs sugar

2 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

1 cup milk

1 egg

2 Tbs oil

I have a few questions if you don't mind; does the oil go in the mixture or is it to grease the pan? How many pancakes should this recipe make? I've never cooked American style pancakes before and ended up with 2 enormous ones about 1cm thick, which were nice but probably meant for more than one person?

Thanks!

JayT Rookie

Pamela's baking mix is great too! I add some chocolate chips while the pancakes are cooking and my kids love them!!

I think even diced apples are wonderful to add with some cinnamon...

Cruiser Bob Newbie

Kinnikinik makes a good pancake mix too.

OR, make crepes, kids love them.

Two eggs

1 cup milk (I use Almond milk, not dairy)

1 cup rice flour (I tried sourgum but it doesn't work as well) - or use 1 cup unlevened mix, or use corn starch

dash or so of Vanilla

1-2 TBLSP sugar

Whisk until smooth and creamy

Cook in hot pan in a little butter (I do mine first in olive oil - then the kids in butter)

Of course they are that much better if you use real butter and real milk.

Bob

gluten-free 1999

Archived