This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Colonoscopy/endoscopy

Mal

Mal Explorer

ok,

im 21, im scared...like to death!...i need everyone to tell me it will be ok.

:unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

evie Rookie
ok,

im 21, im scared...like to death!...i need everyone to tell me it will be ok.

:unsure:

Mal...you really do not have to be scared. the doctor and his helpers will make it easy for you. ;). You should have no pain and should be feeling pretty good soon after the procedure. If this is your first time to have a procedure such as this everything is new to you. I have had it and no big deal!!

Just hang in there, things will be just fine and hopefully you will have some answers afterwards.

evie

psawyer Proficient

I had both procedures in June of 2000, and it was painless. I am a diabetic, and my blood sugar was marginally low before the procedure so they started an IV with dilute glucose. My veins are small, and the search for a suitable vein for the IV was the worst thing that happened that day. I was sedated, and was not aware of anything during the actual procedures. A brief stay in recovery, and then my wife drove me home.

You'll be fine. Nothing to worry about.

ETA: I'm 52 now, but was 46 then.

NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Mal,

I'm 27 and I've had 3 colonoscopies and an endoscopy. The only time I ever had trouble with any one of them was when I was severely underweight, making my blood pressure so low that they could not properly sedate me--and I lived through that just fine. Each of the procedures after that have been no big deal--the worst part about the whole thing is the preparation. My advice is to use ice because the liquid is much more palatable when it's cold. Good luck!

Lisa Mentor

the worst part is the anticipation........the rest is a piece of cake (gluten free).

Drinking that crap, or swallowing 24 pills is pretty bad, but that's the worst.

You will be fine, but make sure you take someone with you. I did not remember a thing when I came out from under. I had to ask my husband four times what the doctor said.

It's easier than going to the dentist, if you can relate. :unsure:

happygirl Collaborator

Hey Mal,

I'm 25 and have had 2 endoscopies, a colonoscopy, and two joint endos/colonoscopies since I was 22. :) I understand....

But, it really isn't that bad. You'll be under "heavy sedation" which has less risks than general anesthesia, and its a quick procedure. You'll wake up and probably won't have any idea that its already over.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

(here is a recent thread about this, also, and should give you some more info Open Original Shared Link

Laura

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

No need to be scared. Metta is right -- the worst part is the prep. My daughter had her colonoscopy today, and she was given the half-lightly to drink -- ended up puking it up, just like I did. I talked with her doctor and he changed her prep to the Osmoprep pills. Much, much better. You have to take a lot of pills -- one every fifteen minutes -- but it beats the heck out of that cherry stuff they want you to drink.

For the endoscopy, they'll give you some stuff to numb your throat, then a bite guard with a hole in it to position your mouth and throat properly. I was actually awake for the bulk of my tests, and they weren't that bad even awake. You won't have any trouble at all.

Just a heads up: those nurses have NO sense of humor, however. When I was put on the table, I told them that I had a favor to ask them. They asked what it was, and I said that if they were going to use the same tube, would they please do the ENDOSCOPY first. They were not amused.

Good luck to you, and don't be afraid. It's a piece of cake. Gluten free, of course.

'xxxooo Lynne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived