This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Cornbreads and muffins

lucycampbell55

lucycampbell55 Rookie

Hi Granny

:D In your post you mentioned that you eat cornbread. Since the only way I know to make it is with meal and flour have you found a way to make it without the flour? If you have please let me know. I love cornbread and haven't had any since going gluten-free in November.

I'd appreciate your recipe.

Thanks, Lucy :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest jhmom

Hi Lucy:

I found a great corn bread recipe, it may the same as Granny's if not we will have 2 recipes for it (YUMM) :D

This recipe comes from the Incredible Edible Gluten Free Food for kids cookbook:

I have made it several times and it is AWESOME!!! Even my picky 8 year old Celiac loves it and so does my non - celiac son and husband!

1 cup corn meal

1/2 cup rice flour

1/2 cup tapioca flour

1 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 tablespoons sugar

1 tablespoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 eggs

1 cup milk

1/4 cup oil

In a medium bowl, combine corn meal, rice flour, tapioca flour, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder and salt.

In a small bowl, beat the eggs, milk and oil

Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir until the batter is smooth. Do not overbeat.

Pour into a greased 9x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 425 for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.

Let me know how it turns out for you & ENJOY!!!! :)

Claudette Newbie

On the subject of cornbread, I just use the recipe in my old Betty Crocker cookbook and substitute corn flour for the wheat, add 1 more egg or egg replacer and some xanthium gum. Corn flour is like corn meal only finer and works well.

Claudette :)

lucycampbell55 Rookie

:D Thanks for the recipes. They sound great. My biggest problem is that I live in a very small town in the mountains of Southeastern Kentucky and the only place that carries anything gluten-free is the local Food City and that's Rice flour. I can't find any of the other ingredients like the different flours and the Xanthium Gum. When I say rural I mean rural. ;) I count myself lucky that I found the rice flour. I know I could order the things online but I really can't afford it. I'll copy the recipe's just in case I come across the ingredients.

Thanks a lot.

Lucy :D

granny Rookie
I love cornbread and haven't had any since going gluten-free in November.

Lucy,

My recipe is SOOO similar to the other one posted here but here it is. I got it off the back of a bag of cornmeal. I only substituted rice flour for the wheat flour they had suggested, then I thought about the potato flour and added it.

CORNBREAD

1 1/2 cups cornmeal

1/3 cup rice flour (see note below)

potato flour (see note below)

4 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 cup milk

1/4 cup oil

1 egg

combine dry ingredients in a med. bowl. I put my wet ingr. into a mixing up in order given. 1 c. milk +1/4 c. oil=1 1/4 c. total then I add the egg and wisk or dump into dry ingr. depending on my mood. I'm a very technical cook! <grin>

I stir to combine and either fry or bake at 425 for 25 min. The recipe also calls for 1/4 c. sugar but I omit it, my preferrence.

** note: I measure out the 1/3 c. rice flour, then pour this into a 1/2 c. and continue to fill it with potato flour till it's level and it worked for me. I have no idea how much potato flour that is. I hadn't thought about the exanthan gun and maybe 2 eggs but I may try jhmom's recipe just for a change. I agree that 2 recipes for 1 item is no problem!! Enjoy your cornbread!! Granny

granny Rookie
Hi Granny

:D In your post you mentioned that you eat cornbread. Since the only way I know to make it is with meal and flour have you found a way to make it without the flour? If you have please let me know. I love cornbread and haven't had any since going gluten-free in November.

Lucy,

I forgot to mention that I usually have to add extra milk to this recipe. It makes up to thick to fry by the recipe, I guess because of the rice flour, so I just add milk till it stirs up to a consistancy that looks and cooks OK. I've only baked it once and don't remember if I added any then. I think the 2 eggs might help it not be so crumbly, if you don't have the potato flour(that's why I added it).

I understand how hard it is to locate gluten-free stuff because I can't even get rice flour in our rural OK town. My daughter works in anouther town and got it for me. I can go 30-40 miles in 3 directions and go to a health food store. I have friends and family pick up stuff as they travel to these places and as I can afford it, and they've been a big help. Granny

angel-jd1 Community Regular

here is the cornbread recipe that I use. I LOVE IT!! YUM!!

Gluten Free Cornbread

1 Egg

1/2 Cup Liquid (milk, juice, water)

2 T Sugar

2 T Oil

1/2 C White Rice Flour

1/2 C Corn Meal

2tsp Baking Powder

1/2 tsp Salt

Mix well. Bake 425 for 17-20 min. Makes 6 muffins

I doubled this recipe and baked it in a small rectangle pan. The recipe comes from the back of the Bob's Red Mill White Rice Flour Sack.

-Jessica

:D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

aball882000 Newbie

About the cornbread, i get the packaged kind from the gluten free pantry. i really like it but next time i wont make the muffins, just the loaf. All of my non-gluten-free relatives (everyone but me...im the only one on the diet) said they smelled really good. :P

lucycampbell55 Rookie

:D Thanks Granny

I will try the recipe. I also see where there are others added some too. I have spent the last 2 months trying to find recipe's that I can convert into food I can eat. I found a ground beef pizza crust and made it the other nite and it was delicious. Of course it might have just been all the ingredients I added on top. ;)

I have family that lives in more populated areas too but they keep forgetting to bring me stuff, and of course I forget to remind them. :rolleyes: I have a sister who is coming to visit from NJ next month and she's supposed to bring me some of the things I need. I hope so anyway. I just hope we can both remember to remind each other. :D

Thanks Jessica, I buy the Red Mill rice flour but I have been getting the brown and I didn't see that one. I'll give that a try too. :)

wclemens Newbie

Lucy, maybe you can make the cornbread anyway. I make cornbread with corn flour and cornmeal, and cornmeal is available at ANY market, so maybe you could combine it with rice flour. My creation calls for:

2 egg yolks (I have allergies to egg whites)

1/2 cup sugar

1/4 cup Imperial Margarine (I'm allergic to butter, milk & dairy)

1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix the above ingredients together till smooth, then add 1 cup soy milk,

1 cup corn meal, and 1/2 to 1 cup corn flour (or rice flour)

I put mine in a plastic container greased with olive oil and cook it for

about 3-5 minutes in the microwave, then cover it and store it in the refrigerator.

When I overcooked a batch, I lifted the cornbread, put 1/2 cup Imperial

Margarine and 1/4 cup brown sugar under it, and heated it in the microwave

for 1 minute. It was then soft and sweet, and I added peanut butter and jelly

to one piece and almost had a childhood favorite--peanut butter and jelly

sandwich.

Welda

lucycampbell55 Rookie

:D Welda,

I'll definitely try it.

I have a recipe for Quick and Easy muffins and I have been eating them for quite a while. I take peanut butter and Jelly and smear it in the middle and it's wonderful.

Here it is if you want to try it.

1/4 c sugar

2 tb shortening

2 ea eggs

1 c rice flour

1/4 ts salt

2 ts baking powder

1/2 c milk, or non dairy liquid

1/4 ts vanilla

In the mixing bowl, cream together sugar and shortening. Then beat in the eggs. Sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and add to the egg mixture alternately with the milk. Dont overbeat. Stir in the vanilla. These are best mixed by hand. Pour into greased muffin cups. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 min.

Variation: pour half the batter in the muffin tins and sprinkle a mixture of cinnamon and sugar over the batter. Cover with the remaining batter and sprinkle with more cinnamon and sugar.

They are great with just about anything you eat that you would like a little bit of bread with. I like to cover them with margarine or peanut butter and jelly. I'd say you could even use just the eggs yolks. you might have to add a couple more though.

Thanks

Guest aramgard

Lucy, The next time you leave your rural area try to seek out an Oriental market. They have many of the flours, you'll need and they are usually cheap. I buy rice flour, sweet rice flour, tapioca flour, corn starch and several other flours at the Oriental supermarket. Every time I go I just stock up so I'll have a good supply. Many of these flours are really cheap, corn starch 59 cents a box. Rice flour 49 cents a bag. That market is a real lifesaver for the celiac. Shirley

lucycampbell55 Rookie

:D Thanks a lot Shirley

I'll have to have my daughter check and see if there is one in her area. She lives just outside of Chattanooga in Alabama. She goes to the city all the time. Wow! those are some really great prices. DH just brought me home a bag of brown rice flour and it was 3.00 for a 1 1/2 lb bag. :angry:

Thanks again for the advice.

ROYAL BLUE Apprentice

Shirley (or anyone else), You stated you buy your flours at an Oriental market. Just wondering, do you still call the manufacturer to be sure they are not contaminated? I bought some corn flour at an Oriental store thinking it was perfectly fine, this voice in my head said to call before I used it. It was contaminated....Even things like corn meal, naturaly gluten-free but supplier says they are contaminated. Makes me so mad

Tracy

Guest aramgard

Tracy, I've never purchased corn flour at an oriental market, but I have purchased other flours and never had a problem with them. Of course, there is always a possibility of contamination. But I always try the flour out a little at a time to see if it bothers me before I use it, because it is difficult to find an e-mail address for oriental foods--at least the ones from China and some other countries. And I've also had problems with foods who claim to be gluten free and flours from this country. So it's really a dice game about what foods are contaminated and what foods aren't. Just take it slow, if you try it so you don't get to sick. Shirley

wclemens Newbie

Lucy, the Easy Muffins sound great, and I'll try them, especially with peanut butter and jam. Thanks so much. Kathy, welcome to the board! Welda

celiacfreeman Contributor

I am not a cook but i tackled this corn bread recipe and it was better than Jiffy.

Anyone else have a good bread recipe for my bread machine?

I have been gluten-free for 8 days and thought I had no symptoms except anemia (which is common in women my age).

Suddenly i'm sleeping through the night and my skin is not translucent.

It turns out there were suttle symptoms. also I have been drinking crown royal the company assures it is gluten free. :)

• 2 weeks later...
brdbntL Rookie

Lucy,

Thanks for the muffin recipe. They were good and my daughter enjoyed them.

Laura

kejohe Apprentice

Hi All!

I just wanted to add my 2 cents about the Asian market, I LOVE EM! I haven't bought Bob's Red Mill or Arrowhead Mills since I discovered the Asian Rice flour. I use it for everything and it's so smooth, so if you have noticed that a lot of the other flours have the gritty texture, try the Asian fours. They are usually sold in a 1# bag for anywhere from 50cents to a buck, either way, it's good stuff for cheap!

• 2 weeks later...
filititi Apprentice
I am not a cook but i tackled this corn bread recipe and it was better than Jiffy.

Anyone else have a good bread recipe for my bread machine?

I have been gluten-free for 8 days and thought I had no symptoms except anemia (which is common in women my age).

Suddenly i'm sleeping through the night and my skin is not translucent.

It turns out there were suttle symptoms. also I have been drinking crown royal the company assures it is gluten free. :)

Celiac Free Man,

Which of the recipes did you try? I'm searching through this category, and there are tons of great sounding cornbread recipes, and I just don't know which to try. If you liked the one you tried, that would be a start for me.

Also, There are several categories in which Jenni posted a recipe (that looks wonderful) for a bread machine bread with onion and cheese.

Take Care,

Fil

• 3 weeks later...
alexa11219 Newbie

Hi jhmom/Stacie. I tried the cornbread recipe you mentioned. It's a little heavy, but not only delicious, it's knife- and spreading-friendly. It keeps shape and never crumbles. I'd been keeping it on the lower shelf of my fridge for about two weeks, and it still was fine. To freshen it up I put it in the toaster (for about 4 to 6 min) oven or microwave (for 5 to 10 sec). The only thing I would change next time is the amout of sugar - that's in case I'll plan to use it with soups, meats, or cheese. And with marmalads, tea or coffee, and likes - it's just great. Thank you very much.

Alexa

• 3 weeks later...
njlawtonuk Newbie

i found a recipe for an excellent corn bread on here but i can't find who posted it. the recipe included polenta,

rice flour,

tapioca flour,

xanthum gum,

baking powder,

eggs,

sugar and salt.

i just wanted to thank you who ever you are, as its wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!!! but didn't last very long :o)

p.s. i'll post the quantities and instructions if anyone is interested.

Archived