This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Food Allergies

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I am getting frustrated and I need some advice.

I have mulltiple food allegies in addition to having celiac disease (just check out my signature ;) ). One of these allergens causes a severe reaction in which I now carry epi-pens and wear a medical alert bracelet. However, I am not sure which one is the culprit! My suspisions are wheat or milk, but I am not certain! It is frustrating! I am currently avoiding wheat, milk, peanuts, turkey, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and cinnamon (and I avoid lamb anyway!).

I am considering challenging each of the foods I no longer eat, at seperate times, near a hospital. Is this wise? Also, would you challenge the wheat allergy? I was told to challenge the foods from my appointment in September 2006, except for peanuts. I have challenged some of the foods, and I found that I can tolerate blueberries, strawberries, and regular potatoes.

One more question... At my last appoitment, I didn't test positive to wheat allergy or milk allergy, but I have in the past. I was told that I could still be allergic (I believe they were referring to wheat at the time). Apparently, if the food isn't in my diet than I could be allergic, but it won't show up on my allergy test... I am confused here because I don't eat lamb and it showed up very positive on my allergy test!

I am just wondering what you would do if you were me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

I think I'd be a little afraid to test any allergy that gave me that serious of a reaction even being CLOSE to a hospital...maybe ask if you can do it IN your doctor's office, lol.

As far as the actual testing...did you have skin prick tests for all the foods? If so (and that's how I was tested), my allergist told me that a yes, is really only a maybe, but we can be reasonably confident a no is a no, if that makes any sense. In other words, there are a lot of false positives and from what I understood from him, not many, if any at all, false negatives.

Helena Contributor

I have multiple food allergies too, and always carry epipens, etc, so I can sympathize. Celiac disease was a more recent discovery.

On 'outgrowing' allergies----kids sometimes do outgrow their allergies, but adults aren't as likely to outgrow severe ones. (Intolerances are a different story.) So if you haven't had milk since you were a kid, there is a possibility that you could have outgrown it . . . but if you have reacted severely as a teen or as an adult you would probably still have the allergy.

About those allergy tests----the test for potato is actually for the white potato. While it would be possible to be allergic to sweet potato, that allergy would be entirely unrelated to the potato allergy test. (I have the opposite problem---I can't eat potatoes, but I can have sweet potatoes) Sometimes people react to the potato test because they can't have raw potato . . but are fine with it cooked (I wish this were the case with me!)

I agree with Donna--the skin prick tests are not accurate, and some are more accurate than others (it depends on whether the protein is stable or not). I know doctors sometimes take the easy way out and simply don't comment on the results (?) but really they are supposed to interpret them in relation to patient medical history. Unless I majorly reacted to the SPT, I wouldn't stop eating a food I ate regularly just because I had a positive test. If you react on the test to a food you very rarely or never eat, and you really want to try it, I would ask for further testing.

My allergist 1) does the skin prick test 2) if there is doubt in his mind he orders the RAST (a blood test) 3) if he still isn't sure, he does an oral challenge---i.e. I eat the food in his office in a controlled setting. (But he doesn't have me take a bite right away---first he does a skin prick test with the actual food that I bring in. Then if that is okay, he asks me to put a bit of the food on my tongue (but tells me *not* to swallow). If there is still no reaction after a time, then I eat a bit. . . wait for a period of time . . and then eat a bit more, etc. My allergist would *never* do one of these challenges for a food to which I had had anaphylactic reactions.

If you know you've reacted to a food and are certain that it is an IgE mediated allergy (which is the type they test for) then I'd recommend not trying it on your own . . . you might want to make another appointment with your allergist and ask for clarification/further testing. Also, if you do want to do a challenge, perhaps you could ask your allergist if you could do one in his/her office.

I'd personally feel better about trying the cabbage, cinnamon, and sweet potato . . . unless I had a history of reacting majorly. But I'd be cautious about trying the turkey. Since you suspect milk caused an anaphylactic reaction, I think you'd better only try it in your allergist's office if the SPT and the RAST are negative.

Wheat? I dont' think you should try it because of the celiac. It wouldn't really matter if you're not allergic to it anymore since you can't eat it anyways.

For those allergy tests, you don't actually need to have eaten the food recently for the test to be accurate. The theory is, though, that you've had to have at least one exposure before developing the allergy . . .but one exposure is all it takes. (And that exposure can be through proteins which get through breastmilk . . I think you can be exposed even in the womb (but am not positive on this one). Also, you can be exposed through skin contact.) I've heard that the concentration of allergen-specific IgE might go up dramatically after a reaction . . . so there is some truth to the theory.

Hope this helps somewhat!

I am getting frustrated and I need some advice.

I have mulltiple food allegies in addition to having celiac disease (just check out my signature ;) ). One of these allergens causes a severe reaction in which I now carry epi-pens and wear a medical alert bracelet. However, I am not sure which one is the culprit! My suspisions are wheat or milk, but I am not certain! It is frustrating! I am currently avoiding wheat, milk, peanuts, turkey, sweet potatoes, cabbage, and cinnamon (and I avoid lamb anyway!).

I am considering challenging each of the foods I no longer eat, at seperate times, near a hospital. Is this wise? Also, would you challenge the wheat allergy? I was told to challenge the foods from my appointment in September 2006, except for peanuts. I have challenged some of the foods, and I found that I can tolerate blueberries, strawberries, and regular potatoes.

One more question... At my last appoitment, I didn't test positive to wheat allergy or milk allergy, but I have in the past. I was told that I could still be allergic (I believe they were referring to wheat at the time). Apparently, if the food isn't in my diet than I could be allergic, but it won't show up on my allergy test... I am confused here because I don't eat lamb and it showed up very positive on my allergy test!

I am just wondering what you would do if you were me. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AndreaB Contributor

Carrie,

I wouldn't test any foods until you had a complete ELISA blood work done for IgE/IgG. IgE being immediate allergic reaction, IgG being delayed. My doctor told me that some foods your body will remember for years. If you have IgE reactions that are severe (which you do, hence the epi-pen) then the ELISA test will show which ones are more problematic.

I only have one food I'm IgE allergic to and that is dairy. It's low and is my IgG response to it.

If you can't get an ELISA test done then check into what Helena posted. It's not worth anaphylatic (sp?) shock.

Again, seconding Helena. Definately no on the wheat. Once a celiac, always a celiac. You'll just make things worse if you start up with wheat again.

burdee Enthusiast

I agree with using the ELISA blood test. We don't put food under our skin, so skin prick tests don't show how we react to foods we eat. A blood test can be more reliable. HOWEVER, if the lab results indicate more than a few food allergies, you might consider whether that lab uses good quality control standards. If the indicated allergies are in the same food family, those results might be reasonable. However any results which show multiple allergies to many different kinds of food are suspect to poor quality control standards in the lab processing the blood sample.

The whole 'challenge' approach relies on the theory that people 'grow out of' food allergies or the original test results were false positives. I don't agree that adults 'grow out of' food allergies, but I would consider taking different kinds of allergy tests if the first results seem questionable.

BURDEE

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for all your help. I really appreciate your responses. Based on your advice, I've decided not to challenge foods unless I am in a controlled environment. I'm highly considering challenging the foods in a controlled setting and/or getting more testing done. I would never go back to eating wheat since I have celiac disease... I guess I just really want to know what this mysterious severe allergy of mine is and I'd almost be willing to challenge wheat just once to find out... I really have to think about it though.

I have heard about ELISA tests, but I don't know a whole lot about them. Do you ask your doctor for these or an allergist?

Andrea, I am really interested in immediate and delayed reactions IgE and IgG. I believe by reactions are delayed. When I had my worst reaction, I was exposed to wheat (small amounts for about 2 weeks) and dairy (small amounts for about 4 days) and the reaction was delayed. However, I do not know which one of the two caused the reaction.

As far as the actual testing...did you have skin prick tests for all the foods?
I had the skin prick test done for all foods and the blood test done for some. Milk was the only food that showed up positive on the blood test (weird huh?).
AndreaB Contributor

Carrie,

The doctor I see is an MD who has branched into intolerances and toxicity so he did the testing. I was actually referred to him from a churchmember of mine.

I'm not sure but most doctors and maybe allergists think delayed reaction allergies (intolerances) are something that either doesn't exist or doesn't need to be bothered with. It wouldn't hurt you to ask around. I don't know what lab they'd use in Canada. My doctor uses US Biotek which is out of Seattle WA. Mine cost $550 USD not including the doctor fee. US Biotek also tests for candida (it's another $150). Since you have celiac it is highly plausible that a lot of your delayed reaction intolerances are from leaky gut. I don't know the answers of that as far as my family. None of ours are real bad though (we didn't have the children tested for IgE due to funds).

Here's a paper my doctor gave me that explains it more.

Food Allergies

Food allergies are a problem created by a disordered immune system. Normally, the immune system, or body

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks so much for you help Andrea. The article is very interesting.

Food allergies are a problem created by a disordered immune system.
This is interesting because I started getting allergic to foods around the same time I started getting sick with celiac disease.
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Does anyone know if delayed IgG reactions can be anaphylactic?

diamondheart Newbie
I have heard about ELISA tests, but I don't know a whole lot about them. Do you ask your doctor for these or an allergist?

I asked my doctor to test for delayed food allergies (IgG antibodies). She's a regular MD, but with a holistic bent. I did my testing with Metametrics lab - 90 foods for $200. Diagnos-Techs lab is also good. Lamb also showed up on my IgG tests, but I rarely eat it. I definitely think I have/had leaky gut and multiple food intolerances. I've been getting treated for it and posting about it on the "OMG, I think I'm on to something..." thread.

Does anyone know if delayed IgG reactions can be anaphylactic?

As far as I know, they are not. I think this website explains it pretty well:

Open Original Shared Link

Claire

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thank you for the link.

I am so confused about what caused my severe reaction. I may try and get ELISA tests done and hopefully I will have an answer.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I have another question and I was wondering if any of you have heard anything like this before.

Could a combination of two allergens result in an anaphylactic reaction? More specifiically, the allergen by itself doesn't produce a severe reaction, but when combined with another allergen the reaction is severe.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm glad you decided not to do the test without a controlled environment. If your allergist isn't working with you, talk to another one who's willing to help you figure out which of the items is causing the anaphylactic reactions.

Good luck!

Carriefaith Enthusiast
I'm glad you decided not to do the test without a controlled environment. If your allergist isn't working with you, talk to another one who's willing to help you figure out which of the items is causing the anaphylactic reactions.

Good luck!

I think I may request the ELISA tests. I would just like to know for sure which food it is because I'm tired of guessing. And to be honest, I worry when I try new or different products for fear of a severe reaction. If I knew for sure what the food was, then I be less worried all the time (I hope).
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Well I had an obvious reaction to strawberries today <_< (I was eating blueberries too, which I am mildly allergic to). Anyway, I thought I had a "mild" allergy to strawberries (like blueberries), but that has obviously changed! This is kind of funny... As soon as I started eating them I sneezed, then after a while, I sneezed again and I'm like that's weird and I kept on eating. Then I got all congested and got a runny nose, ect. Within an hour or so I was periodically sneezing, my throat got all tight, I developed a cough, my nose was all runny, I had a bathroom "urgency", and I was really congested in my sinuses like I had a cold! I took benadryl and the symptoms went away in about 15 minutes!

I just found this article: Open Original Shared Link and apparently they found a protein in strawberries very similar to the birch pollen allergen. And I am highly allergic to birch pollen. I guess, having a birch pollen allergy can trigger allergies to foods, such as strawberries. I have heard that before...

So I guess I won't be eating strawberries anymore... :(

AndreaB Contributor

I'm sorry Carrie. :(

Strawberries are so good too.

Felidae Enthusiast

I hope you can figure your allergies out soon. It sure sounds like a pain not knowing what you can eat.

Helena Contributor

Sorry to hear about the strawberries! I have trouble with lots of fruits and vegetables because of pollen allergies, too--but mostly with raw fruits and veggies (this is called oral allergy syndrome). The proteins that are similar to pollen proteins aren't heat stable so most people with this condition can eat cooked fruits and veggies. (There are exceptions. In my case, I sometimes react slightly to cooked carrots which cross react with birch. The reaction is very slight, however, so I still do eat carrots. On the other hand, I cannot eat potatoes at all anymore--this is probably related to my latex allergy since potatoes cross react with latex. Ditto with bananas.)

I would not recommend trying cooked strawberries since you had a more severe reaction (I'd say anaphylactic insofar as it involved more than one body system.) But this is something you could discuss with your allergist.

I really don't know anything about the ELISA blood test---but as far as the blood test I'm familiar with goes (RAST), it is not necessarily more reliable than the skin prick test. Actually, with the skin prick test (as I understand it) you are less likely to get a false positive. Some people have a positive RAST test but do not have a clinical allergy. On the other hand, it is possible to be anaphylactic to something and have a negative test. If you have an IgE mediated allergy, you are definitely producing the antibodies they test for with the RAST, but it is possible that the antibodies are attached to the mast cells and are not floating free in the blood (in which case you'd have a false negative.) (By analogy, you can have celiac but have a negative blood test----I was reading an article recently which indicates that the EMA may be negative because the antibodies are deposited in the bowel and are not detectable in the blood.)

My advice is---by all means, get tested because if you test positive for something it can help you pinpoint the problem. But the final test is whether you react to the food or not (and if you think you might react, it isn't something you would want to try at home.)

I do hope you have answers soon! I know it can be really scary to be reacting to things and to not know to what.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone :)

Sorry to hear about the strawberries! I have trouble with lots of fruits and vegetables because of pollen allergies, too--but mostly with raw fruits and veggies (this is called oral allergy syndrome). The proteins that are similar to pollen proteins aren't heat stable so most people with this condition can eat cooked fruits and veggies. (There are exceptions. In my case, I sometimes react slightly to cooked carrots which cross react with birch. The reaction is very slight, however, so I still do eat carrots. On the other hand, I cannot eat potatoes at all anymore--this is probably related to my latex allergy since potatoes cross react with latex. Ditto with bananas.)

I would not recommend trying cooked strawberries since you had a more severe reaction (I'd say anaphylactic insofar as it involved more than one body system.) But this is something you could discuss with your allergist.

I really don't know anything about the ELISA blood test---but as far as the blood test I'm familiar with goes (RAST), it is not necessarily more reliable than the skin prick test. Actually, with the skin prick test (as I understand it) you are less likely to get a false positive. Some people have a positive RAST test but do not have a clinical allergy. On the other hand, it is possible to be anaphylactic to something and have a negative test. If you have an IgE mediated allergy, you are definitely producing the antibodies they test for with the RAST, but it is possible that the antibodies are attached to the mast cells and are not floating free in the blood (in which case you'd have a false negative.) (By analogy, you can have celiac but have a negative blood test----I was reading an article recently which indicates that the EMA may be negative because the antibodies are deposited in the bowel and are not detectable in the blood.)

My advice is---by all means, get tested because if you test positive for something it can help you pinpoint the problem. But the final test is whether you react to the food or not (and if you think you might react, it isn't something you would want to try at home.)

I do hope you have answers soon! I know it can be really scary to be reacting to things and to not know to what.

Thanks for all that information! I really appreciate it. So a reaction is anaphylactic if it invloves more than one system? I only had one positive food (milk) with the RAST blood test in February, 2006 and like 10 positives with the skin prick test in September, 2006 and I was really confused. Your explanation helped a lot.

If cooking a food alters the protein, would processing a food also change the protein. Let's say peanut butter and peanuts? I am apparently highly allergic to peanuts, but had peanut butter the day of the skin prick test and didn't get sick!

There is one thing I am super confused about and it will be hard to explain here, but I will try. I tested positive to wheat in 2003 on the skin prick test, negative to wheat on the RAST test, and negative again to wheat on the 2006 skin prick test. However, I think wheat or milk caused my severe reaction in July. I asked my allergist and I was told that I could still be allergic to it even if it didn't show up on the test. I was told that if I'm not eating wheat then it won't show up. However, I was confused about this because I don't eat lamb and it showed up positive. I'm going to stop rambling now... :unsure:

I think the bottom line here is that I need to get re-tested. I hope that will solve some questions I have.

diamondheart Newbie

The testing for allergies is not perfect. Certainly that is the case with the IgG delayed food allergy tests (ELISA blood tests). You use the test results as a guideline, and try out what it's telling you. I showed a reaction to lamb as well, and I rarely eat lamb. If you have eliminated wheat, eventually your body stops making antibodies to it, so it doesn't show on the tests. That doesn't mean that you won't have a reaction to wheat though if you eat it again. All the foods I eliminated didn't show up on my IgG tests as being a problem, even though I knew they were.

Claire

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm so sorry. :( Strawberries affect more people than it would seem.

Carriefaith Enthusiast
The testing for allergies is not perfect. Certainly that is the case with the IgG delayed food allergy tests (ELISA blood tests). You use the test results as a guideline, and try out what it's telling you. I showed a reaction to lamb as well, and I rarely eat lamb. If you have eliminated wheat, eventually your body stops making antibodies to it, so it doesn't show on the tests. That doesn't mean that you won't have a reaction to wheat though if you eat it again. All the foods I eliminated didn't show up on my IgG tests as being a problem, even though I knew they were.
Thanks for sharing. I'm guessing that I must have stopped producing antibodies to wheat.
Helena Contributor

I forgot to add---not sure why you didn't react to the peanut butter. When is the last time you reacted? Some children do outgrow their peanut allergies. You don't want to unnecessarily restrict your life if you aren't allergic anymore. On the other hand, some people are still allergic but can tolerate a little bit before reacting. If this is the case, doctors generally recommend complete avoidance because you can't predict what will happen the next time. (This happened to me with bananas. I used to be able to eat about 1/3 of a banana. But one day, I reacted with just one bite. My allergist at the time practically yelled at me and it was then that I realized that it wasn't a good idea to be experimenting with allergens.) I'd mention the fact that you had peanut butter with no ill effect to your allergist---if you haven't had a reaction to peanuts since childhood, maybe he or she will want to do an oral challenge. (I'm not necessarily recommending this . . . peanut allergies scare me. I'm just saying that you should make sure your doctor has a complete understanding of your clinical history.)

Helena Contributor
You're welcome :)

Yeah, anaphylaxis is often defined as an allergic reaction involving more than one body system. Here's a definition of anaphylaxis:

Here's a more detailed grading chart from a medical journal:

Re: processing changing the allergenicity of a given food----it really depends on the food. Seed storage proteins and animal proteins are generally heat stable as far as I know (so processing will not alter the protein enough). In the case of peanuts (which are definitely heat stable), there is some evidence that dry roasting actually enhances its allergenicity. The proteins in fruits and veggies resembling pollen + the pollen in honey (I can't eat raw honey) are the only ones I know of that are *likely* not to be allergenic if cooked. Egg is the only animal-derived protein I know of that can be affected by cooking----the protein is altered, and some people with an egg allergy can have eggs added to baked goods. But some people absolutely can't have egg in any shape or form.

The issue of whether some types of processing render foods non allergenic is controversial. It was once thought that *highly* processed products---like soy lecithin, refined soy oil, refined peanut oil--should be safe for those who are allergic to the whole food.

Here is a reference to one article claiming that soy oil is not allergenic: Open Original Shared Link

The food industry generally sticks to this view. I've heard that even Health Canada won't recognize some highly refined foods---like corn oil-as allergenic. But recent studies have indicated--at least in the case of soy--that some people *do* react even when the protein is apparently removed.

See: Open Original Shared Link (this article is reprinted from the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology)

"Although soybean oil was initially thought to be safe for soy-sensitive individuals,42 it is now evident that soy protein may occur in soybean oil.43 Thus the allergenicity of soybean oil would depend on its purity, which in turn depends on the extraction process. Recent evidence has demonstrated that although oxidized soybean oil may not show allergenicity, proteins in soybeans are capable of interacting with oxidized lipid to form products that are allergenic to soybean-sensitive patients.44 Indeed, Hiyama et al.45 report a case of urticaria associated with paren-teral nutrition with an intravenous 10% lipid emulsion containing a soybean oil base. Such reactions, however, appear to be uncommon, and there are very few reports of this nature in the literature."

Re: the skin tests. I'm not really sure why you can test positive sometimes and not other times and still be allergic. But I know it can happen----I'm anaphylactic to soy, and my skin prick test results have been inconsistent. Also, the degree to which I react varies widely. The one time I had a huge welt from the egg skin prick test that didn't go away for a number of days----and even when it did go away, the spot was itchy and would flare up. The last time I was tested, I tested positive, but I just got a hive. My ex allergist said something about a negative skin prick test being highly reliable if you aren't highly allergic . . .. false negatives are more likely if the patient does have a lot of allergies. I find this confusing too!

Were you tested for peanuts recently? Have you reacted to peanuts before? Just asking because some kids do outgrow their peanut allergy. Maybe you should mention to your allergist that you ate peanut butter without any obvious reaction. I know that some people can tolerate a bit of a food to which they are allergic . . . but doctors recommend complete avoidance because you can suddenly have a severe reaction. I didn't realize this until my ex allergist practically yelled at me after I explained that I had reacted to a bite of banana (no one had told me to avoid banana. I thought it was a "milder" allergy---I usually could tolerate 1/3 of a banana before my throat and mouth got itchy.) "I don't understand you! Why would you deliberately eat something you're allergic to. This is how people like you end up dying," he told me. I was a bit ticked at the time because *some* doctor somewhere down the line should have explained allergies to me more thoroughly----and this doctor had never given me any specific instructions. But after researching allergies for myself, I found out that he is right. (And people do have anaphylactic reactions to bananas.)

On the other hand, if you really aren't allergic to peanuts, you don't want to live an overly restricted life . . . It's just so confusing.

Helena Contributor

Arrghhh!! I've totally messed up my posts. I posted once, then tried to edit . . .but instead must have hit "add post" and accidentally just quoted the entire first post. I didn't see the edited section at first. *Then* I tried to edit the first post and appeared instead to have accidentally rewritten my *first* post.

Oh well. I think all of what I wanted to say is there even if it is slightly repetitive and out of order. (The part of the post with the links and all the info. was the first post. The part on the peanut allergy is my edited + second post.)

Sorry for all the confusion!

Archived