This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Yowza! gluten-free Right On Coffeemate's Label!

sweetie101282

sweetie101282 Apprentice

I haven't been on the site too much recently so this may be old news, but I recently bought one of the Holiday coffee creamers that Coffeemate put out (I had the pumpkin spice). Right on the label in a section called "good to know" it says Gluten Free! What a stride in the right direction! I will certainly continue shopping with a company this willing to recognize our needs (and our buying power!). Drink up, coffee lovers :-)

Amy

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Was it the liquid or the powder? I have a hot chocolate I made with the powder before going gluten free, haven't had any b/c I'd been told ot avoid non-dairy creamers.

:) I'm assuming it was the liquid.

sweetie101282 Apprentice

Yup, it was the liquid - sold in the fridge section.. I'm not sure if they'll have that flavor around anymore though since the holidays are over :-(

Lisa Mentor

I think that this is a great stride for companies to recognize their products as gluten free.

Many are doing this because we continue to call and e-mail companies for information on their products.

Continue on.

Thank you for posting this. :)

Lisa

Electra Enthusiast

Yup I was all excited when I saw Gluten Free writtin on the back of my coffeemate french vanilla flavored creamer mmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

hez Enthusiast

I noticed this too and became so excited! I can only hope that in 10 years our lives will be even easier with more people understanding what we go through.

Hez

hez Enthusiast

I noticed this too and became so excited! I can only hope that in 10 years our lives will be even easier with more people understanding what we go through.

Hez

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

elfkin Contributor

I had noticed this as well. I was wondering (along these same lines), the Nestle hot cocoa mix also says "gluten free" on the package. It lists "modified food starch" as an ingredient. Is this a contradiction, or is modified food starch sometimes okay?

sweetie101282 Apprentice
I had noticed this as well. I was wondering (along these same lines), the Nestle hot cocoa mix also says "gluten free" on the package. It lists "modified food starch" as an ingredient. Is this a contradiction, or is modified food starch sometimes okay?

It's not necessary to worry about modified food starch in most cases, especially products made in the US. Food starch can mean many things but in the US it typically is referring to cornstarch, sometimes tapioca. If this product flat out says "gluten free" I wouldn't worry about it unless I saw a contraction like "wheat starch" listed. The company is taking a big enough risk by listing that on their label to not be certain of that fact. Hope this helps!

happygirl Collaborator

Modified food starch is often ok. Amy is right, it is usually cornstarch. However, it can be made from wheat. Now, due to changes in food labeling, companies are required to list it if it is from wheat, because wheat is an 8 main allergen. It is not required to list corn, potato, tapioca, etc.

Modified food starch does NOT equal gluten/wheat, but it could be a source. Now with the labeling law, you will know if its wheat derived or not.

elfkin Contributor

This is very helpful to know. I think I have been erring on the side of caution, but this is good news. The kids love creamed corn (from a can) and it lists modified food starch. So, it should say "wheat" as the source of the food starch, if it contains it - right?

Thank you - I will add this news to my shopping list guidelines.

Archived