This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Do You Feed Your Dog?

jesscarmel

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Hey

I was just curious if you you guys only give your dog "dog food" or if you also give veggies and other stuff. my dog eats canidae dry and wet food. i also give her peanutbutter, brocolli, bananas and somtimes cheese....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

We feed our dog primarily raw meat. (Frozen first if there's any chance of parasites.) He gets a few scraps of cooked meat, bits of cheese, bites of fruits and veggies and anything that happens to fall on the floor that he gets to first. People food is generally not appropriate for dogs.

Guhlia Rising Star

I give my dog dry dog food and carrots. She loves carrots. She also occasionally gets meat scraps from our daughter, but not usually intentionally.

tarnalberry Community Regular

when I had dogs growing up, they generally got 'people food' - but don't mistake people food for 'corn chips, french fries, and hot dogs'. Most of varieties of that stuff doesn't entirely count as people food either. :P It'd be meat, veggies (mostly things like carrots), a few grains, and a few fruits. They did primarily get dog food, however.

(*raises hand "My name is Tiffany and I'm a food snob." :D )

Viola 1 Rookie

Sheba gets gluten free kibble, gluten free treats, and one or two of those tiny minature milk bones which aren't gluten free.

The only people food she gets is potatoes and skim milk. Oh yes, she gets half a frozen chicken neck every morning to brush her teeth. :lol: She gets the runs from all cooked meats.

I don't feed raw beef because a few years ago someone gave her a raw dog bone (from a place that sell the raw diets) and Sheba ended up with ecoli. It cost me $300 and she had to stay at the vets for 2 nights and most of three days getting fluids pumped into her. We came very close to loosing her :(

BRUMI1968 Collaborator

Emmett (see avatar) gets mostly raw meat diet. He is into lamb right now. He does not eat grains at all (so that makes it easy to avoid gluten). The raw food diet for the most part has been really good for him...but I'm sure all dogs are different.

As to the idea that human food is bad for dogs ... I think if the human food is bad for the humans, it's bad for dogs too. But otherwise, we have to remember that dogfood didn't even exist until the sixties or fifties or something.

Certyain foods are bad for dogs. Not only chocolate, but also onions. It's good to look into that.

Adelle Enthusiast

I'm an equine and canine massage therapist.... I see digestive upset all the time.

Dogs are MEANT to be gluten free. Wheat is no good for them! Almost w/o fail, when I see a dog with poo problems, I ask what they feed... And volia! Wheat! They CAN eat it, it's just not good for them. I always suggest finding a food with little to no wheat.

Vegis don't seem to be harmful in moderation... But no chocolate or onions.

That said, my mom feeds her dogs leftovers nightly and they r w/o problems.

I think it depends on the dog. Find what works for your animal and go with it.

My friend's dog drinks peppermint tea, I'm not sure how he came up with that, but it works! It's the only thing that helped her D, including an RX and food changing. Whatever works!

Oh and to cover my bum, check with your vet b4 doing anything!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plantime Contributor

My dogs eat Purina Dry Dog Chow and whatever table scraps we have. They are quite healthy!

Viola 1 Rookie

Onions causes internal bleeding in dogs, so have to be careful with that if you give left over stew or soup or something like that.

I had a Doxie who loved tea. I couldn't make a cup of tea without giving him a little bit in a saucer. He liked it the same as me, no sugar and no milk. Just plain old tea :lol: My Keeshond loved watermellon :rolleyes: Sheba really doesn't have any strange things that she likes, just Saskatoons when they are ripe.

jesscarmel Enthusiast

Thanks for everyone's responses. when i said "human food" i definitley meant veggies and meat and stuff....the reason i brought it up is becaue i keep hearing differnet opinions. my vet says only "dog" food like the canned and dry stuff but other people who know alot about dogs say its good and imporant to give fresh veggies and fruit and meat. scotia seems to love broccoli, bananas and peanutbutter so i give it to her. i also dont give her any stuff with gluten in it. all her snacks are pure meat and very expensive! i geuss cause there are no filters.

i had recently read an article in "living without magazine' about feeding dogs only rawfood so i began to think about what i was feeding her and if it was really the best thing for her.

thanks for everyone's help!!

jess

Tippy Apprentice

ya, my dog gets some human food, but mainly a small carrot for a treat, mini marshmallows to use for giving her pills, and rarely she'll get a small piece of meat or bread, but rarely!

My moms a Vet tech and from what shes told me, shes seen some horror stories about people who feed their pets too much people food. Dogs are reeeeally lucky. Dog food is absolutely perfect for them. They actually eat way better than we do. Unfortunately, a lot of people see it as "why do they have to eat the same thing every single day!? They must hate it!" But thankfully dogs see food and they eat it :) If you change their food they tend to have issues, so the same thing every day is pretty much what they want!

but treats are nice on occasions :D

marciab Enthusiast
Oh yes, she gets half a frozen chicken neck every morning to brush her teeth. :lol:

Viola,

Were you kidding here ? I have a chihuahua that will not let me brush her teeth and would like to try this ....

OH, and mine get a bite of healthy people food on top of their dog food ... meat + green beans + rice. Spagetti goes over well too though.

Thanks,

Marcia

Viola 1 Rookie
Viola,

Were you kidding here ? I have a chihuahua that will not let me brush her teeth and would like to try this ....

OH, and mine get a bite of healthy people food on top of their dog food ... meat + green beans + rice. Spagetti goes over well too though.

Thanks,

Marcia

Nope, I'm not kidding. We are with the kennel club and at one conformation seminar a professional trainer who shows dogs all over the world told us that if we wanted to keep our dogs mouths clean enough to please a judge to start feeding frozen chicken necks.

The ice crystals and soft bones of the frozen chicken cleans the teeth. Sheba went from "you'll need to think about getting this dogs teeth cleaned" (at the vets ... price $200) to ... "When did you get her teeth cleaned, it wasn't here" :lol: It does take time though if your dog has the yellow tarter near the gums.

She gets her's right after her walk every morning, and heaven help us if we forget! If for some reason she gets an extra walk in the afternoon or evening, then she runs to the freezer trying to get another chicken. :lol: She's too funny.

You should be able to get them at any place that sells the "raw dog food"

Felidae Enthusiast

I wish there was something that simple to clean cats teeth. LOL

pinkpei77 Contributor

mouse gets people scraps..but hes pretty picky.

he eats "nutro ultra" large breed.

and he eats the chicken strip treats.

he likes stuff with "cheese" on it.

and anything to do with potatoes.

but i defintely keep his people food intake to a minimum as far as "junk" food goes!!!

marciab Enthusiast
Nope, I'm not kidding. We are with the kennel club and at one conformation seminar a professional trainer who shows dogs all over the world told us that if we wanted to keep our dogs mouths clean enough to please a judge to start feeding frozen chicken necks.

The ice crystals and soft bones of the frozen chicken cleans the teeth. Sheba went from "you'll need to think about getting this dogs teeth cleaned" (at the vets ... price $200) to ... "When did you get her teeth cleaned, it wasn't here" :lol: It does take time though if your dog has the yellow tarter near the gums.

She gets her's right after her walk every morning, and heaven help us if we forget! If for some reason she gets an extra walk in the afternoon or evening, then she runs to the freezer trying to get another chicken. :lol: She's too funny.

You should be able to get them at any place that sells the "raw dog food"

Thanks. I'm not sure who sells raw dog food around here, but I can check with a few places ...

It was going to cost $200 to get her teeth cleaned and I sure can find something better to do with $200.

My dogs thank you too ... Marcia

lonewolf Collaborator
Thanks. I'm not sure who sells raw dog food around here, but I can check with a few places ...

You can get chicken necks from a local butcher, most likely, or even from a grocery store. Ask the meat manager or ask the butcher if they can order you a case. You might want to try one first to see if your dog likes them though. Take the neck out of a roasting chicken or fryer the next time you get one and toss it in his dish. (He'll love the liver and heart too.) If he's a bigger dog, turkey necks are good too.

Our dog doesn't eat "regular" dog food - just raw meat from the grocery store, bones and all. The vet commented last week on what great teeth he has.

Viola 1 Rookie

For a small dog make sure you cut that chicken neck at least in half. Sheba is 25 pounds and I give her half, so for a smaller dog I would do thirds. Remember, it does add callories, so you may want to cut back on treats or a little of what ever else you are feeding. Let us know how you get along with it :P

marciab Enthusiast

Viola,

One more question, please. Does the chicken neck have to be raw ? Mine have never had raw meat other than the occaional rare bite of steak ... thanks .. marcia

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

I saw on the Animal Planet that a woman who breeds (Labs, I think) feeds the dogs, especially the pregnant moms, all raw meat. I kind of questioned it, but if chicken necks work for tartar, I'm going to try it for Lucky. Poor little Destiny only has three molars and one lower canined left, and it is loose, so I guess it's a little late for her. She does, however, insist on eating kibble, and turns her nose at soft dog food. I also give her the remainder of my Boost Carb Control and blueberries when I'm finished with it. She thinks it's ice cream.

Viola 1 Rookie
Viola,

One more question, please. Does the chicken neck have to be raw ? Mine have never had raw meat other than the occaional rare bite of steak ... thanks .. marcia

YES, the chicken neck has to be raw! If it is cooked the bones become brittle and dangerous for your dog. Only the raw bones are soft and plyable. :P

Viola 1 Rookie
I saw on the Animal Planet that a woman who breeds (Labs, I think) feeds the dogs, especially the pregnant moms, all raw meat. I kind of questioned it, but if chicken necks work for tartar, I'm going to try it for Lucky. Poor little Destiny only has three molars and one lower canined left, and it is loose, so I guess it's a little late for her. She does, however, insist on eating kibble, and turns her nose at soft dog food. I also give her the remainder of my Boost Carb Control and blueberries when I'm finished with it. She thinks it's ice cream.

Poor Destiny :( won't be able to eat the good stuff. But you know, Yougurt is supposed to be very good for dogs ... especially if they are passing more than their fair share of gas bombs. She would probably love that. :lol:

marciab Enthusiast

Thanks, Viola ... BTW My dogs love yogurt ... They liked ice cream too though .. Marcia

These guys are rotten ... :P

pinkpei77 Contributor

hey viola..sheeba is so gorgeous!!!!

can you see a little more shiba inu in mouse in this pictute??

hes only 1/4 shiba but i can see the resemblence.

:lol:

Viola 1 Rookie
hey viola..sheeba is so gorgeous!!!!

can you see a little more shiba inu in mouse in this pictute??

hes only 1/4 shiba but i can see the resemblence.

:lol:

Hi Coleen, You're right, this picture does show a bit more shiba. Certainly the ears and tail ... and the colour is very much shiba. Most Shiba Inus are that red ... mine gets really bleached out in the sun, but is a little more red in the winter. She is labled as a red tip cream. Mouse would be considered a red, and then there is a sessame colour, which shows black tips, they also come in black and tan.

Archived