Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Canning

8 posts in this topic

I started canning some of my own food items, such as stewed tomatoes, soups, fruit and different things. The initial cost of the canning utensils (pressure cooker, jars etc) is about $75.00-$100.00, but in the end I think it will save me money. I can reuse the canning jars forever and I KNOW WHAT IS IN THERE! This weekend I am going to mka pickle religh with the right vinegar, stewed tomatoes with everything that I want in them and I'm gonna try spaghetti sauce. ;) This might be a good option for some of us!! ;)

BamBam

Ads by Google:

a dehydrator can be useful too!

We raise vegies, berries and grapes on our tiny city lot, so I freeze most of our harvest. This year we made several batches of our own raspberry jam, and froze strawberries, green beans, tomatoes and yellow crookneck squash. We ate soooo many fresh lettuce, carrot, spinach, and tomato salads from our garden all summer that I look forward to cooler weather and hot meals. I just wish I would have frozen some of that spinach for my soups this winter. :lol:

BURDEE

How does it all work, canning?

I would love to try canning but my husband told me "No more kitchen gadgets!" LOL. I do have alot of kitchen helpers. Lets see, dehydrator, pasta maker, bread maker, seal-a-meal, food processor, salad shooter, ice cream maker, kitchen aid mixer and regular mixer, electric can opener, two toasters, hum what am i missing? Now that I have about 10 types of flours, mixes, frozen breads I am running out of room (and we just remodeled :o ). But fter the Prego incident though it might not be a bad idea.

Any words of wisdom for those of use who haven't tried it yet?

I can every year and this year I just made certain I used Apple Cider Vinegar, not apple cide flavored.

If you do a search you can find home canning instructions, or your local Extension office has all the info you need. Try a search on home canning, canning or preserving, you should get lots of results.

I have a great recipe for salsa gluten-free, tomato drink gluten-free, dill pickels gluten-free, we make home made horse radish, gluten-free with right vinegar, saurkraut etc. A lot of recipes on web call for white distilled vinegar, you can substitute Heinz Apple Cider (not apple cider flavored) for all of them. As long as the vinegar is 5% acidity you are OK.

Its important when canning to follow strict cleaning procedures... these are included in most canning site directions.. Also you must process the canned stuff in boiling water for as long as it says. Dont make short cuts.

Vinegar provides two things, tang, tomato juice, pickels and salsa are not good without it. It also provides acidity which is needed to keep the preserved food bacteria free.

If anyone wants my recipes, email me tracimilbrett@direcway.com Been in my family for generations... just modified them to be gluten free, easy. Been eating canned good for 36 years. I love to can, you can all come to my house and learn if you like!! We could put together other fellow canners and teach the ones who have never done it, might be fun. :D Just put up 36 quarts of tomato juice which is far better than anything in the store. When friends come over, they always try to go home with a few jars of this and that...

Pressure cooker is nice and it speeds things up but all you really need is a couple large kettles, jars, lids and seals and the stuff you want to can of course.

Its nearly a spiritual thing for me. My garden dirt is made up of manure from my horses and chickens composted for a couple years. I plant my plants, never use pesticides or herbicides on them, water, fertilize with more horse manure, pick it at the height of ripeness and can it. Circle of life. I can feel my great grandmothers and grandmothers smiling at me when I do it. Sounds silly I know.

However you dont need a garden. I would not suggest you use grocery store produce, its been treated with waxes etc to extend shelf life. But there are many towns and cities with farmers markets. Start small. You can can anything, any fruits, any vegetables and even meats. Its a lot of work but for me, it is so worth every moment.

Again, email me for recipes if you like.

However you dont need a garden. I would not suggest you use grocery store produce, its been treated with waxes etc to extend shelf life. But there are many towns and cities with farmers markets.

Is this wax okay for celiacs? It's not a matter of canning, here, but just for........regular eating? I would think so cause nobody ever said that you need to be careful of it, but I just want to be sure...........

I am liking the idea of canning.