Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Graham Cracker Crumbs

17 posts in this topic

Hi Can someone suggest a substitute for graham cracker crumbs?? I want to attempt my old favorite 7 layer bar cookies--the ones made withs weetenede condensed milk!! Thanks

Ads by Google:

Kinnikinnick sells cookie crumbs that I have used for a crust before. So, maybe you could crush some gluten-free cookies.

You can make your own cramb crackers and then make a crust from them.

You can make your own cramb crackers and then make a crust from them.

Thanks--I think I am going to try to crush some of the MIDEL animal crackers and see if that works!!

Recipe for gluten free graham crust

1 1/2 cups G.F. flour

1/2 cup margarine (melted)

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup chopped nuts

Mix ingredients and spread evenly but lightly in a 9" z 13" baking pan

Bake at 350 for 10 minutes

Stir until well crumbled, return to oven and bake 10 minutes more until browned evenly

Cool and use as a base for any desserts calling for a graham wafer base.

Hint: Double the recipe and store the rest for future use.

The G.F. flour mixture is made up with

6 cups of sweet rice flour

2 cups tapioca flour

1 cup potato starch flour

Or use any commercial brand of gluten free flour.

Hope this helps :P

Shirley, that looks AMAZING--and so easy! Thanks for posting it!!!!!!!

I crush up any gluten free cookie or homemade cookie, including ginger snaps, shortbread, animal crackers, etc. Any works ... just depends on the taste you want.

I also do this for cheesecake crusts :)

I crush up any gluten free cookie or homemade cookie, including ginger snaps, shortbread, animal crackers, etc. Any works ... just depends on the taste you want.

I also do this for cheesecake crusts...and then just follow any "normal" recipe and substitute my crumbs in.

Hi Can someone suggest a substitute for graham cracker crumbs?? I want to attempt my old favorite 7 layer bar cookies--the ones made withs weetenede condensed milk!! Thanks

I LOVE those bar cookies.......when I make mine I use pamela's pecan shortbread (like pecan sandies of our gluten filled days). Crumble them up and put in the butter like always. It turns out great!!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

The graham crackers from The Grainless Baker make the most incredible graham cracker crust.

http://www.thegrainlessbaker.com/

i just bought these from the local store and they are terrific! :rolleyes:

Kinnikinnick also sells gluten free graham crumbs..they are really good. If I don't have those around, I just crush up gluten-free cookies.

:rolleyes:

Crushed Gluten Free corn flakes, with some cinnamon and sugar added make great crumbs, I use it all the time for my cheesecakes and no one can tell the difference.

I've also used crushed chocolate sandwich cookies (Kinnetoo's or Midel) to make a chocolate crumb crust for a cheese cake.m That is terrific.

Kay

I crush envirokids gluten-free vanilla animal cookies for my cheesecake bottom.

for my recipes (esp gluten-free cheesecake) i use some sort of ground nut--usually pecans. i sub it equally for the crumbs and still add the Tbsp or whatever of melted butter/sugar. i love it and even non-gluten-free people say it's better than regular crust. i dunno... its something i do that's easier than trying to find all those gluten-free cookies/crackers out here on the prairie :) lol good luck!

I just recently found out I was gluten intolerant. I had the blood tests to see if I was a cealic & they were "normal" so I had something with flour in it that night & of corse I had a big outbreak. so now no flour for me for 3 weeks & no break outs no nothing...thank you so much for putting this website up. it's almost like a lifeline for me...I just realized cheese cake doesn't have flour in it & it is so easy to make but then I thought, what do I use for a crust?!? well the crushed gluten-free cookies are a wonderful idea! I hadn't thought of that. thank you so much xoxo you are all a God send to me. I will get used to this, it will just take time...

Kinnikinnick also sells gluten free graham crumbs..they are really good. If I don't have those around, I just crush up gluten-free cookies.

Yep! I stumbled on this old thread because I was searching for a good price on the Kinnikinnick gluten-free graham-style crumbs (I'm making 'magic bars' for the holidays and need to stock up). These are identical in taste and texture to the real thing and are a one-for-one replacement. No need to alter any recipes whatsoever.