12 replies to this topic

#1 ptkds

ptkds

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

I read that Blue Bell Ice Cream was gluten-free, so I have been giving it to my dd's and eating it myself. Anyway, the cafeteria manager called today from dd's school and told me that the chocolate ice cream cups (that I approved for my dd's!) contained wheat. Then I checked out the stuff I had in the freezer, and it contained wheat.

I am so disappointed! I LOVE Blue Bell, and we live about a mile away from their factory. I plan on contacting them. My dd's school only serves BB ice cream, so they can't even have ice cream at school anymore.

Just wanted to share so no one makes the same mistake I did!

ptkds

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:30 AM

Ptkds, that is crazy!

#3 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

This is disappointing. I talked to them over the summer and I thought they said everything except the obvious ones were gluten-free. We can only eat their popcicles because we are dairy free, too but I will make sure to read those labels again.

Why does ice cream have wheat in it? Was it actually in the ice cream or did it just say manufactured in a place with wheat or may contain traces of wheat?
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#4 ptkds

ptkds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 05:26 AM

The last 2 ingredients are wheat flour and oat flour. I am so disappointed in them. I don't know about thier other flavors, either. I plan on looking at those today when I go to the store.

Maybe if a whole bunch of ppl complain, they will change their ingredients!! So complain! The corporate phone number is 979-836-7977. I am only posting it because it isn't listed on their website, and they have no email complaint system.

ptkds

ptkds

DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#5 EG+FC

EG+FC

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

Blue Bell ice cream is the company they use at Outback. I wonder if outback'a ice cream is going to stop being gluten free also and if they are aware or it.

#6 Nashville

Nashville

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:40 AM

Is this only the ice cream cups? What about the regular-sized containers? I guess I will just read the label before I buy again.

#7 ptkds

ptkds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

So I finally made it to the store today, and I checked the Vanilla BB ice cream. It looks safe to me.

The half gallon containers also contain gluten. I am betting that the stuff at the Outback is the same as what is in the small containers. I have been to the factory a few times and they make the ice cream in huge mixing machines and then put it in the containers they ship out. They don't change the equipment, just the containers.

So, please make complaints to them!!! I want it changed, but they wont just listen to 1 or 2 ppl!

Thanks!
ptkds

ptkds

#8 gf4life

gf4life

Our family "photo" as drawn by my daughter Hannah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:35 AM

I believe the vanilla ice cream they serve at Outback is gluten free, the chocolate is not. There was a thread about this before and the conclusion was the Blue Bell chocolate was bad, but vanilla was good. If you are really concerned about this I would contact the company and find out which products are gluten free. Outback recently redid their gluten free menu and if the vanilla ice cream contained gluten I don't think they owuld have kept it on the menu.

Here are a few old posts from 2005 about this issue. The chocolate had wheat in it then and I don't think they have changed it.

http://www.glutenfre...amp;#entry78947 (post #8 contains an old 2002 list of Blue Bell gluten free list of products)

http://www.glutenfre...s...c=6568&st=0 (post #17)
~West Coast-Central California~

Mariann, gluten intolerant and mother of 3 gluten intolerant children

#9 Sillyyakdidi

Sillyyakdidi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

I read that Blue Bell Ice Cream was gluten-free, so I have been giving it to my dd's and eating it myself. Anyway, the cafeteria manager called today from dd's school and told me that the chocolate ice cream cups (that I approved for my dd's!) contained wheat. Then I checked out the stuff I had in the freezer, and it contained wheat.

I am so disappointed! I LOVE Blue Bell, and we live about a mile away from their factory. I plan on contacting them. My dd's school only serves BB ice cream, so they can't even have ice cream at school anymore.

Just wanted to share so no one makes the same mistake I did!

ptkds

I'm sorry to hear about your mistake, but, don't feel to bad, I made the same one myself last year! there is actually a kind that they serve in the hospital that is held together with xantham gum instead of wheat starch, but i'm not even sure where to get that. Hope ya'll weren't sick for too long!
Gluten Free since April '04

#10 kennedymoore

kennedymoore

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

I love this forum. I was getting my grocery list together, checking the sales and matching coupons when I saw BB on sale and thought.... I could have this around the house as a treat for me and my boys. Then I decided to double check in the celiac world to make sure no complaints. So, So glad I found this. I would have checked at the store but it helps to have a leg up from trusted sources.

Thanks for just posting your experience, you are making a difference in other's lives when you do that.

#11 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

I loved their chocolate until I read wheat on the ingredients. Wow! Why? So sad. Wish they would change that.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#12 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:11 AM

I love this forum. I was getting my grocery list together, checking the sales and matching coupons when I saw BB on sale and thought.... I could have this around the house as a treat for me and my boys. Then I decided to double check in the celiac world to make sure no complaints. So, So glad I found this. I would have checked at the store but it helps to have a leg up from trusted sources.

Thanks for just posting your experience, you are making a difference in other's lives when you do that.

Please be aware that this is a very old thread and ingredients in products from 2007 might have changed.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#13 Roda

Roda

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:12 AM

I contacted Blue Bell just the end of last month and they sent me two gluten free lists. Here is their contact number. The representative I spoke with sent me them via e-mail. It made one happy 6 1/2 year old little boy. Now he is able to buy an occasional icecream treat at school.

Consumer Relations

Blue Bell Creameries, L.P.

979.830.7398 Fax

Nutrition Notes
from The Little Creamery

Blue Bell Products Suitable for Those Avoiding Gluten

12 pack Frozen Snacks
Butter Crunch Bar Homemade Vanilla Bar No Sugar Added Mooo Bar
Buttered Pecan Bar Homemade Vanilla Cup Rainbow Sherbet Cup
Chocolate Covered Cherries Bar Mint Chocolate Chip Bar Strawberries & Homemade Vanilla Bar
Dream Bar Mooo Bar Sundae Cups

24 pack Frozen Snacks
Bullets Mini Rainbow
Crème Pops Sugar Free Bullets

6 pack Frozen Snacks
Lime Fruit Bar Peach Fruit Bar Strawberry Fruit Bar

Bulk Frozen Snacks
Almond Bar Mooo Bar Rainbow Pop Up
Homemade Vanilla Cup Strawberry Fruit Bar
Megabite Bar Rainbow Freeze Bar

Institutional and Jobbing
Cherry Freeze Bar Fruiti Bar Orange Crème Bar
Dream Bar Grape Freeze Bar Strawberry Banana Bar
Frostbite Bar Homemade Vanilla Scoops

Lowfat Ice Cream 3 fl oz Cups
All American Chocolate Sundae Strawberry
Autumn Twist Fiesta Sundae Strawberry Sundae
Cherry Sundae Spring Twist Vanilla

Sherbet 3 fl oz Cups
Lime Orange Rainbow

Additional Notes:
-Based on supplier’s information, there is no known gluten in any of our stabilizers, emulsifiers and flavorings.
-Modified food starch (tapioca) does not contain gluten.
-Wheat flour used in bakery items (i.e. brownies, cookies, etc.) contains gluten.
-Cone products should be avoided as they contain oat fiber and wheat flour.
-Dry malt extract used in Grizzly Bar and Krunch Bar contains gluten.
An informational handout developed by Blue Bell Creameries Research & Development Department, August 2011. If you have any questions, please call (979) 836-7977.

Nutrition Notes
from The Little Creamery

Blue Bell Products Suitable for Those Avoiding Gluten

STANDARD ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Banana Split Mint Chocolate Chip Strawberries & Homemade Vanilla
Buttered Pecan Moo-llennium Crunch Strawberry
French Vanilla Natural Vanilla Bean
Homemade Vanilla Pecan Pralines & Cream

ROTATING ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Butter Crunch Coconut Fudge Southern Hospitality
Caramel Turtle Fudge Homemade in the Shade Spiced Pumpkin Pecan
Century Sundae Mocha Almond Fudge Strawberry Cheesecake
Chocolate Chip Peaches & Homemade Vanilla Summer Berries
Chocolate Covered Strawberries Peppermint Tin Roof

LIGHT ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Homemade Vanilla

YEAR-ROUND MARKET SPECIFIC ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Banana Nut Coffee Pineapples & Homemade Vanilla
Black Walnut Happy Tracks Pistachio Almond
Cherry Vanilla Mango Tropical Paradise
ROTATING MARKET SPECIFIC ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Lemon Mardi Gras
Mexican Praline

NO SUGAR ADDED ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Buttered Pecan Dutch Chocolate
Country Vanilla Strawberries ‘n Cream

FROZEN YOGURT ICE CREAM HALF GALLON FLAVORS
Country Vanilla Lowfat Strawberry Nonfat

SHERBET QUART FLAVORS
Lime Pineapple
Orange Rainbow

Additional Notes:
-Based on supplier’s information, there is no known gluten in any of our stabilizers, emulsifiers and flavorings.
-Modified food starch (tapioca) does not contain gluten.
-Wheat flour used in bakery items (i.e. brownies, cookies, etc.) contains gluten.
An informational handout developed by Blue Bell Creameries Research & Development Department, April 2011. If you have any questions, please call (979) 836-7977

Me:
Celiac disease(positive blood work/biopsy- 10/2008), gluten free oat intolerent, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis/Disease, Raynaud's Disease

DS2(age 9):
celiac disease(positive IgA tTG, no biopsy- 11/2010)

DS1(age 13):
repeated negative bloodwork and negative EGD/biopsy. Started on a gluten free trial(8/2011). He has decided to stay gluten free due to all of the improvements he has experienced on the diet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: