Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Warning For Blue Bell Ice Cream Lovers!

13 posts in this topic

I read that Blue Bell Ice Cream was gluten-free, so I have been giving it to my dd's and eating it myself. Anyway, the cafeteria manager called today from dd's school and told me that the chocolate ice cream cups (that I approved for my dd's!) contained wheat. Then I checked out the stuff I had in the freezer, and it contained wheat.

I am so disappointed! I LOVE Blue Bell, and we live about a mile away from their factory. I plan on contacting them. My dd's school only serves BB ice cream, so they can't even have ice cream at school anymore.

Just wanted to share so no one makes the same mistake I did!

ptkds

Ads by Google:

Ptkds, that is crazy!

This is disappointing. I talked to them over the summer and I thought they said everything except the obvious ones were gluten-free. We can only eat their popcicles because we are dairy free, too but I will make sure to read those labels again.

Why does ice cream have wheat in it? Was it actually in the ice cream or did it just say manufactured in a place with wheat or may contain traces of wheat?

The last 2 ingredients are wheat flour and oat flour. I am so disappointed in them. I don't know about thier other flavors, either. I plan on looking at those today when I go to the store.

Maybe if a whole bunch of ppl complain, they will change their ingredients!! So complain! The corporate phone number is 979-836-7977. I am only posting it because it isn't listed on their website, and they have no email complaint system.

ptkds

Blue Bell ice cream is the company they use at Outback. I wonder if outback'a ice cream is going to stop being gluten free also and if they are aware or it.

Is this only the ice cream cups? What about the regular-sized containers? I guess I will just read the label before I buy again.

So I finally made it to the store today, and I checked the Vanilla BB ice cream. It looks safe to me.

The half gallon containers also contain gluten. I am betting that the stuff at the Outback is the same as what is in the small containers. I have been to the factory a few times and they make the ice cream in huge mixing machines and then put it in the containers they ship out. They don't change the equipment, just the containers.

So, please make complaints to them!!! I want it changed, but they wont just listen to 1 or 2 ppl!

Thanks!

ptkds

I believe the vanilla ice cream they serve at Outback is gluten free, the chocolate is not. There was a thread about this before and the conclusion was the Blue Bell chocolate was bad, but vanilla was good. If you are really concerned about this I would contact the company and find out which products are gluten free. Outback recently redid their gluten free menu and if the vanilla ice cream contained gluten I don't think they owuld have kept it on the menu.

Here are a few old posts from 2005 about this issue. The chocolate had wheat in it then and I don't think they have changed it.

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...amp;#entry78947 (post #8 contains an old 2002 list of Blue Bell gluten free list of products)

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...c=6568&st=0 (post #17)

I read that Blue Bell Ice Cream was gluten-free, so I have been giving it to my dd's and eating it myself. Anyway, the cafeteria manager called today from dd's school and told me that the chocolate ice cream cups (that I approved for my dd's!) contained wheat. Then I checked out the stuff I had in the freezer, and it contained wheat.

I am so disappointed! I LOVE Blue Bell, and we live about a mile away from their factory. I plan on contacting them. My dd's school only serves BB ice cream, so they can't even have ice cream at school anymore.

Just wanted to share so no one makes the same mistake I did!

ptkds

I'm sorry to hear about your mistake, but, don't feel to bad, I made the same one myself last year! there is actually a kind that they serve in the hospital that is held together with xantham gum instead of wheat starch, but i'm not even sure where to get that. Hope ya'll weren't sick for too long!

I love this forum. I was getting my grocery list together, checking the sales and matching coupons when I saw BB on sale and thought.... I could have this around the house as a treat for me and my boys. Then I decided to double check in the celiac world to make sure no complaints. So, So glad I found this. I would have checked at the store but it helps to have a leg up from trusted sources.

Thanks for just posting your experience, you are making a difference in other's lives when you do that.

I loved their chocolate until I read wheat on the ingredients. Wow! Why? So sad. Wish they would change that.

I love this forum. I was getting my grocery list together, checking the sales and matching coupons when I saw BB on sale and thought.... I could have this around the house as a treat for me and my boys. Then I decided to double check in the celiac world to make sure no complaints. So, So glad I found this. I would have checked at the store but it helps to have a leg up from trusted sources.

Thanks for just posting your experience, you are making a difference in other's lives when you do that.

Please be aware that this is a very old thread and ingredients in products from 2007 might have changed.

I contacted Blue Bell just the end of last month and they sent me two gluten free lists. Here is their contact number. The representative I spoke with sent me them via e-mail. It made one happy 6 1/2 year old little boy. Now he is able to buy an occasional icecream treat at school.

Consumer Relations

Blue Bell Creameries, L.P.

979.830.7398 Fax

Nutrition Notes

from The Little Creamery

Blue Bell Products Suitable for Those Avoiding Gluten

12 pack Frozen Snacks

Butter Crunch Bar Homemade Vanilla Bar No Sugar Added Mooo Bar

Buttered Pecan Bar Homemade Vanilla Cup Rainbow Sherbet Cup

Chocolate Covered Cherries Bar Mint Chocolate Chip Bar Strawberries & Homemade Vanilla Bar

Dream Bar Mooo Bar Sundae Cups

24 pack Frozen Snacks

Bullets Mini Rainbow

Cr