This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Food Diary "a Day In The Gluten-free Life"

kbabe1968

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I think it would be helpful to newbies (me included) to see what ya'll eat on an average day. If everyone can share what they did today or yesterday, we all could find some NEW choices...what do ya think?

Here was my day today....full of flavor

Breakfast: Bowl of Panda Puffs (it was a quick one!)

Snack: Apple

Lunch: 2 egg omlet with a little bit of salsa and monterey jack (gluten-free of course), 1 grapefruit

Snack: PB on a brown rice cake

Dinner: Roasted Red Potatoes, sauteed zuccini (I was going to have salmon too, but go too full!)

Yesterday was good too:

Breakfast: Slice of Cinnamon Bread (see my blog), 1 egg

Snack: 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks

Lunch: PB on a brown rice cake, salad (found some Annie's Natural dressings that are gluten free - yeeehawwww)

Dinner: Homemade Chicken soft-tacos on rice flour tortillas, filled with cheese, chicken, avocado, sour cream, salsa with dessert - a gluten free homemade brownie (again, see my blog)

How about you, what did you eat today? or yesterday? or both!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie

I'm not sure we could consider this an adverage day as we haven't done a grocery shopping since the 18th of Dec. In fact, except to go out once for dinner, I haven't been off the property since then. So, we are kinda eating what we can find. :lol:

Today, Glutino 'cherrio type honey and nut' cereal

Lunch ... Cheese Whiz and lettuce sandwich on gluten free bread.

Supper ... left over macarroni and cheese with cream corn and turkey franks, all gluten free of course.

Snack ... the staple :lol: popcorn

Pretty much the same yesterday, except had a glass of wine in the evening. I've run out now though :( Hopefully the roads will be good to go into town tomorrow, we do need to do a shopping!

ana Rookie

Rice tortillas? where do you find those? are they good or are they dry and crack when you fold them? i really miss tortillas a lot. that's the hard part finding a substitute, corn are not the same. fresh corn ones are good, but i don't see myself making any anytime soon. really, ever.

Aimee D. Newbie

Your day sounds a lot like mine. I will also eat:

• hard boiled eggs
  • KIND fruit + nut bars ( they have gluten-free and dairy free onesand all very tastey)
  • Boomi Bars (another fruit and nut concauction)
  • strech island fruit leather (all flavors)
  • Chicken of the Sea tuna + mayo
  • Grilled ckn salads (you can marinade w/ Glutino italian and do ceasar or fresh vegies w/ honey mustard -Annies)
  • I also eat lots of King crab legs and scallops, I use earth balance spread for dipping and pan fry the scallops w/ lemon, earth balance garlic and paprika

I eat lots of snacks because of my diabetes and the ones I listed I eat most because they are easy to carry and taste great.

Finally the one thing I eat most of all and would have a hard time living with celiac if it didn't exist is...

Peanut Butter and Co. White Chocolate Wonderful. That stuff is so good! I Live in Alaska, and it takes me an hour to get to the health foods store, and sometime they don't have this on the shelf when I get there. I can't tell you what a bummer it is when that happens. My inlaws shipped me some for Christmas, but it cost more than $30.00 for them to ship me 5 jars. It was the best Christmas present I got this year!

Happy eating!!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Yesterday was a pretty typical day for me food wise:

Breakfast - Arrowhead Mills Maple Buckwheat Flakes and an orange

Lunch - Lundberg brown rice plain

Dinner - My version of fast food - Gortons Shrimp temptations (Scampi) with broccolli, onions, corn and peas, all frozen. I put them on a big piece of foil with a little butter, seal it up and pop in the oven.

Snack bfore bed was crackers w/ peanut butter and apple

Woodchuck Cider

missy'smom Collaborator

Yesterday I didn't have 3 proper meals and I'm finding that if I don't I crash and burn. So here's what I'm having today. It's pretty representative of a usual day.

Breakfast: Pamela's pancakes, a fresh orange, camommile tea and homemade sausage patties

Lunch: Leftover homemade ham, cheese, potatoe soup

snack:gelatin made with knox gelatin, white grape juice, touch of lime juice and fresh raspberries, black tea and maybe gluten free pretzels

Dinner: Beef Stew and dinner rolls(I don't have rolls or bread very often but I'm trying out the frozen Chebe dough tonight)

emcmaster Collaborator

I don't really eat set breakfast, lunch & dinner meals, but here's what I ate:

coffee with coffeemate

cottage cheese with pineapple chunks

homemade chicken cacciatore soup (chicken & veggie soup), baby ruth fun-size bar

protein shake (designer whey chocolate & milk), apple

chicken nachos (baked tostitos, ff refried beans, homemade enchilada sauce, chicken, part-skim mozzarella, jalepenos, green peppers), "take the cake" edy's ice cream

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skinnyminny Enthusiast

yesterday I wasnt at home much yesterday and usually do more cooking than this so this is not so typical but here it is

Breakfast: 2 slices of homemade gluten free bread one with peanutbutter one with jam

Snack: nuts, rasins and corn flakes, kinda like a trail mix

Lunch: chic flia chicken salad

Snack: apple

Dinner: Pacific tomato soup with corn chips and a slice of gluten free toast

dessert- a few peanutbutter m&ms..

If you cant tell I eat lots of peanuts!!

wolfie Enthusiast

My day yesterday & today so far..

breaky yesterday ~ 2 Van's gluten-free waffles, 100% cranberry juice & Aunt Jemima Syrup

snack/lunch ~ decaf nonfat latte

dinner ~ soft tacos (corn tortillas heated up in a frying pan, no oil); meat was seasoned with Old El Paso seasoning; refried beans and brussel sprouts

breaky today was the same as yesterday

lunch ~ cabbage sauteed in olive oil and leftover soft tacos

going to Cheeseburger in Paradise for dinner tonight

I usually eat more veggies and salads than I have in the past few days, but I am recovering from a nasty cold, so anything easy to make is what we have been doing for the past week. We do lots of grilled chicken with balsamic vinegar & olive oil or grilled salmon or steak & potatoes.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast
Rice tortillas? where do you find those? are they good or are they dry and crack when you fold them? i really miss tortillas a lot. that's the hard part finding a substitute, corn are not the same. fresh corn ones are good, but i don't see myself making any anytime soon. really, ever.

No....they cracked apart....BUT at least I got to eat them! LOL :D

They were much better as the base for quesadilla (which I had for lunch the other day) than they were for soft tacos. I think the brand was called "Good for Life" ?

I may try the Trader Joes ones next time. I LOVE Mexican food...and I"m not huge on corn tortillas, so I'm just oging to have to figure it all out - even if that means making my own! LOL :D

Mango04 Enthusiast

Breakfast: gluten-free cornflakes with Pacific rice milk, bananna, hard boiled egg (if I don't have hard boiled eggs, fried or scrambled eggs on corn thins are a tasty option too)

Snack: apple with peanut butter

another snack: young coconut mmmmm

Lunch: chicken and corn chips

Snack: celery, carrots, yellow pepper and broccoli with non-dairy ranch dip (cashews, water, lemon, dill, italian herbs and sea salt in a blender <----best non-dairy dip ever)

Dinner: brown rice with lentils (1 cup dry lentils, 1 cup brown rice, 3.5 cups water - cooked in one pot. add olive oil, balsamic and sea salt when cooked)

Dessert: Tomberlies ice cream and Tazo Chai tea

ps I love those rice tortillas too. They're great brown rice, black beans, avocado and fresh salsa. Not quite a real burrito but close :)

dlp252 Apprentice

Breakfast: 2 turkey sausage links, scrambled with 1 x-large egg, shake with egg white protein, a little frozen peaches and a little stevia

Snack: egg salad (2 X-large eggs and 1 TBS mayo)

Lunch: 1/2 cornish game hen, green beans

Snack: same shake as at breakfast (I need to take a powdered supplement and this is the only way to get it down, lol)

Dinner: ground beef, pinto beans and crushed tomatoes made sort of like chili

Felidae Enthusiast

Breakfast: Lundberg rice cake with peanut butter and a banana and coffee

Lunch: Que pasa tortilla chips with homemade hummus and Minute Maid orange juice

Snack: Quinoa chocolate chip cookies (homemade) and herbal tea

Supper: Homemade winter vegetable soup (tomatoes, zucchini, leeks, spinach, chickpeas, parmesan, olive oil and spices) with a glass of wine

Snack: peanuts and an orange

Viola 1 Rookie

Now today was a little more interesting :lol:

Honey nut cheerio 'glutino' cereal

Lunch was deep fried, battered, sweet & sour pork and chicken fried rice at Amanda's restaurant in Nelson :P Heavenly

Supper, was the left overs brought home and warmed up in the micro :P

Good thing we don't live closer to Nelson I would spend too much time in that restaurant for sure! Their fish & chips are wonderful too ... but couldn't have both :lol:

And yes, it's all gluten free!!!

Anonymousgurl Contributor

I just thought i'd post and be the oddball here...LoL...im on a "weight GAIN" diet...and i have a TON of food allergies...so this is quite interesting :)

Breakfast- 2 bowls of fruit juice sweetened cornflakes and a fresh orange

Lunch- 2 slices of turkey, 2 lundberg rice cakes, a fresh appple

Lunch 2- kidney beans with canned tomatoes, broccoli and green beans

Snack 1-another fresh orange

Snack 2- protein shake (1 cup strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1/2 cup soy yogurt)

Dinner 1- Tinkyada rice pasta with tomato sauce, zuchhini, half of an eggplant

Dinner 2- a sweet potato

Dessert- 3 pieces of gluten free bread (Food for life fruit juice sweetened Millet bread)

I actually "came up short" today on calories according to my doctors. I couldn't stuff down breakfast 2, which is usually another apple and a bowl of "Rice and Shine" arrowhead hot rice cereal.

Hope you all enjoyed your meals today :)

2wheels4eyes Explorer

Still a newbie (and making mistakes, alas, but for what it's worth...)

Breakfast:

Usually Bob's Red Mill gluten-free Hot Cereal mix (I'm amazed how much I like this hot cereal. Pre-gluten-free, I used to get sick of hot cereals pretty quickly but I never get sick of this one. And I've got a fool-proof cooking method for busy mornings: boil the water. And a small handful of nuts/seeds/dried fruit along with the cereal. Re-cover the pot and turn heat to low and stir well. Ideally, leave heat on low for another minute or two--this is when the pets get fed in my house--then turn off the heat. Keep the lid on tight and go have your shower or what have you for another 6-30 mins. When you come back your cereal is perfectly done--no bubbling over on the stove, no burnt pot to scrape, etc. Salt, milk, cinnamon etc. optional.)

Other breakfasts: Van's waffles w/ nut butters & jams. Fruit and nuts and yogurt. Eggs. Last night's leftovers. Never rice cakes cause they make me cranky with deprivation and fast carbs.

Lunch:

Usually a big pile of raw veggies, crackers (fave = Pecan Nut Thins), some good cheese, salmon or turkey or a bean salad.

Otherwise my favourite college meal: onions, garlic, oil, lightly sauteed, add cumin and cilantro and a can of beans. Turn down heat to low, add salsa. Grate cheese on top. Cover. Go away for 5 mins. come back and eat with shredded lettuce and nacho chips.

If I have to eat lunch out, usually homemade rice-bean-veggie-nut salad.

Dinner:

Usually fish packet + veggies + rice, sometimes chicken in the slow cooker, also do a lot of stir fry w/ gluten-free tamari and rice noodles.

Snacks: popcorn, fruit, nuts, yogurt, homemade choc/peanut butter/cereal squares. Lara bars if I'm out and about.

I saw a dietician recently and showed her my (extremely detailed) food diary. She was ecstatic to have such good "data". Despite eating more vegetables than anyone I know, she said I wasn't getting enough of them...

gheidie Newbie

:D What a great idea.... here is what I ate yesterday...

B homemade quiche (I baked canadian bacon, sweet red peppers sharp cheddare and a carton of egg sub from Costco) for quick breakfasts on the run....

S a small handful of nuts and a non fat decaf latte

L 2 pieces of string cheese, red peppers, jiciama, celery, cucumbers and hummus and then I was full.. so I didn't eat my pizza beans (Lima beans a brucheta cooke slow in the oven with cheese)

then the snow hit.. had to go and get my kids.... grabbed a hershey's kiss... and out the door from work...

S grabbed another piece of string cheese and headed out to shovel snow.....

went out for dinner I had a big salad with chicken, eggs, corn, red onions, bacon (real bacon) and real blue cheese. It was really filling and good...

Today it is still morning, so I have just had my quiche.. and I am planning a salad for lunch with chicken and cheese on it and sunflower seeds.

S probably veggies

D I am not sure.. will need to get started on this.. I have a salmon in the freezer,, and shrimp.. probably on of those...

have a great day!!

bluejeangirl Contributor

My food journal reads:

Tues Jan. 9th

Breakfast

3 Buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup

1 scrambled egg

1 orange

Lunch

Open face sandwich:

Millet/flax bread toasted

I slice of tomato

2 slices of grilled tofu

1 slice of cheddar cheese with a dressing made of olive oil/vinegar and mustard swirled on top.

Supper

Buffalo brat

fried onions, catsup

2 millet breads

swiss chard

Jan. 10th

Breakfast

1 cup of blueberries and raspberries mixed

bowl of barbara's cornflakes

soy milk

Lunch

same as yesterdays but added sauteed spinach

Supper

corn tortillas filled with

sliced baked chicked

black beans

onions and green pepper (fried)

sweet corn

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

Wow, you all eat pretty healthy. With a house full of kids, we eat more junk! Here's our day:

Breakfast: Pamela's pancakes, turkey bacon

Snack: usually apples with peanut butter/honey...or yogurt

Lunch: today....stir fry with egg, veggies, chicken and rice, splashed with walmart brand soy sauce

yesterday.....corn tortillas with hummus and cheese

Dinner: Bbq pork roast, red potatoes and green beans

tonight....chicken enchiladas (total pia to make, but it's dh's birthday)

Dessert: Breyers Dulche de Leche ice cream

skinnyminny Enthusiast

Today I got glutened!!!:( at a friends house we brought our own chicken salad and I was the last one to get mine out ( big mistake) and everyone had held there bread over it and I guess got crumbs in it anyways Iv felt terrible but i have to look at the bright side its the first time its happened lately! but heres what I ate, I had a lot of mini meals after lunch since I got so sick no matter how sick I feel I have to continue eating to kept up my energy..

Breakfast: Bowl of perkyo's with berries and 1/2 banana

Snack: Homemade pbutter cookie ( yum!)

Lunch: Chickensalad ( which got contaminated!) and a pear

Snack: peanut butter on toast

Snack 2: cashews n rice cake

dinner: sweet potato

snack: popcorn

snack: alittle yogurt

I am a snacker but this was to try to nurish my body a little!

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice
Breakfast: Lundberg rice cake with peanut butter and a banana and coffee

Lunch: Que pasa tortilla chips with homemade hummus and Minute Maid orange juice

Snack: Quinoa chocolate chip cookies (homemade) and herbal tea

Supper: Homemade winter vegetable soup (tomatoes, zucchini, leeks, spinach, chickpeas, parmesan, olive oil and spices) with a glass of wine

Snack: peanuts and an orange

I'm sorry if this was posted somewhere else, but I looked and didn't find it, what kinds of rice cakes do ya'll use tha tare gluten-free?

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

We eat the Lundberg rice cakes, they are gluten free. The buttery caramel flavor is very good.

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I've been using Lundburg as well - they say gluten free right on the label which is why I chose them over the others. I REALLY like them too, I don't ever remember liking them before, and I used to eat them on and off b/c they are "diet" food.. I get the brown rice ones. I use them for EVERYTHING!!! I even break them up so they act as croutons in my salad! I really love em!!!!

eleep Enthusiast

Hey -- this makes a great "what did you eat today" running thread since I sometimes need inspiration for menus. I just got back from the market and I've been doing a lot of travelling with little in the house, so menus are on my mind. I've actually been eating frozen leftovers for the past few weeks, however:

Breakfast: 2 boiled eggs/avocado chunks/hot sauce; Oatmeal with strawberries and honey

Lunch: Carrot sticks and hummus; almond butter and apricot jam sandwich on rice/almond bread

Snack: Chickpea/feta salad; pears and yogurt

Dinner: Chebe pizza crust with salami, tomato sauce, mushrooms, olives and artichoke hearts; spinach salad

Viola 1 Rookie
Breakfast: Bowl of perkyo's with berries and 1/2 banana

I'm glad to see someone else eats Perkyo's ... :lol: They are pretty good and actually have some vitamins

Archived