This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten-free On Long Flights?

JenKuz

JenKuz Explorer

All right, so my boyfriend lives in Berlin, and I will be doing some research there beginning soon...there will be lots of travel between the US and Europe in the next few years, with a trip coming up in March.

Most european carriers have gluten-free options, but unfortunately Delta does not, and since I live in Atlanta, it's usually the best choice of airline for me. On the trip in March, for example, I'll have a choice of gluten-free meal on the way to Europe, but not on the way back. The flight is between Milan and Atlanta, and is 11 hours long. That's a long time to go without proper food...

Delta has told me that I may bring any food I'd like on board, and they can warm the food for me, etc. However, between international produce/food restrictions, and liquid limits, I'm not sure what I can come up with. I do know that I will be one crabby customer if I have to watch everyone else getting a hot meal while I gnaw a corn chip and a Toblerone bar for 11 long and uncomfortable hours.

So I am trying to martial all my creative powers to come up with some kind of option for food that is not just junk, that approximates real food, but does not involve liquids, or produce, or any other restrictions.

Does anyone have any ideas? It will be on the return part of the trip, so I will not be able to do much cooking or baking before this flight...a little, if necessary.

My ideas are perhaps some kind of coconut/chocolate/dried fruit balls; but I don't know if they'll allow it, and anyhow that's only good for a snack. Perhaps some cooked rice in a sealed dish, if they'll let it on the plane. But again, I have no idea what they'll allow and what not....and before this flight, I'll have to go through two security gates...one in Berlin, and another when I connect in Milan. So there are two chances for them to take away whatever food I happen to come up with :(

I just don't know. Help? Ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jestgar Rising Star

Nuts. Jerky. Instant soup (dried soup mix). Instant rice. (They have water on board) Crackers and cheese. Salami and cheese.

JenKuz Explorer
Nuts. Jerky. Instant soup (dried soup mix). Instant rice. (They have water on board) Crackers and cheese. Salami and cheese.

Instant soup = genious.

Cheese and salami > genious

Mango04 Enthusiast

I don't know if the restrictions are different when you fly to Europe, but between here and Australia (and back) they didn't restrict any of my food, only my water.

You might want to see if you can order a raw vegetarian meal, or something similiar. That way you at least have some raw fruits and veggies to go with whatever else you bring. Clif Nectar bars, Alpsnak bars and Organic Food bars can come in handy too.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

The best thing to do would call the airline or government agencies dealing with things like this because you don't want to think you're food is fune and then have it taken frm you.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

I would add rice bread and Gluten Free Bars (i.e. Enjoy Life, Glutino) packed in your suitecase when you leave.

Ask the airline if there will be milk for coffee on the plane. If you can drink milk you can bring along gluten free cereal and eat it from one of the drink cups.

I am not sure what restrictions you have on liquids. I bring a 2 oz bottle (in a leak proof bottle) of oil and vinegar dressing in my 1 quart bag. The may be able to provide a dry salad, you will have to ask.

In the future you might consider another airline. American was able to provide a gluten free meal for my return trip from London in Sept.

Have a super trip.

tarnalberry Community Regular

They generally care about whole, fresh produce, so I'd probably take a tuna salad in a cooler for lunch, and chili (even good cold) for dinner. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

My Dad and my daughter have both recently been in the hospital, so I was in a similar situation while staying with them. Hormel makes some shelf stable microwaveable meals that require nothing added. The Southwestern Black Beans and Rice, Sweet and Sour Chicken, and the Chicken and Rice are all gluten free. They're pretty good and real food. It's not gourmet or anything, but has worked out really well for me when refrigeration isn't an option. I've even eaten them at room temp and they're ok. Good luck on the trip!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
They generally care about whole, fresh produce, so I'd probably take a tuna salad in a cooler for lunch, and chili (even good cold) for dinner. :)

But make sure you either make the tuna salad yourself or read the label if it's from the deli counter--one of our local grocery stores uses a premade tuna salad at their deli counter and it contains bread crumbs!!! :ph34r:

kbtoyssni Contributor

I usually bring two sandwiches, an apple and those three-ingredient peanut butter cookies. I don't like to bring too much perishable food since you have to eat it before you enter your destination country. I have brought lasagna to heat up before, but AA wouldn't heat it for me. Made me very mad, especially since I don't 100% trust their gluten-free food (they often give you a pre-wrapped four grain biscuit that has barely and oats.... Come on, people, it isn't even like this is "hidden" gluten).

tarnalberry Community Regular
But make sure you either make the tuna salad yourself or read the label if it's from the deli counter--one of our local grocery stores uses a premade tuna salad at their deli counter and it contains bread crumbs!!! :ph34r:

lol... I didn't even consider that one could buy premade tuna salad.

:rolleyes: I'm not normal. :lol:

Generic Apprentice

I have in the past, brought my own gluten free chex mix made with gluten-free rice and corn "chex" and pretzels. Pre-made Cookies in a box (since they travel better). Jerky and cheese are great for protein. You might want to bring a couple of those pre-made chicken or tuna salad w/ crackers, (they are made for lunches or on the go sorta thing) then bring your own crackers.

Kinnicinick (sp) bagels with cream cheese tend to hold up well also. Fruit leather/snacks, dry nuts- trail mix. I haven't flown since the liquid restrictions started, so I hope this helps. Have a great time over there, I'm jealous!

-Laurie

p.s. Don't forget a candy bar or 2! LOL

brendygirl Community Regular

I JUST GOT BACK from a trip on DELTA!

The x-ray machine caught my individual sized puddings and security questioned me. They asked if I had a bracelet and I explained that it's not an anaphylactic reaction...They asked for a letter from my doctor and I said no, just throw the pudding away, but then they called the manager and he allowed it.

I brought:

gluten-free crackers with peanut butter wrapped up in plastic

Trail Mix

Candy

raisins

veggie chips

pudding (I'd read this on a post here before my trip!)

Funny thing is, a woman near me kept sneaking her dog out of its carrier!! :angry: and my eyes were so swollen from the dog hair as she petted it and I kept sneezing and stuff, so I never even ate any of my food! Not even the pudding!

JenKuz Explorer

The x-ray machine caught my individual sized puddings and security questioned me. They asked if I had a bracelet and I explained that it's not an anaphylactic reaction...They asked for a letter from my doctor and I said no, just throw the pudding away, but then they called the manager and he allowed it.

I brought:

Trail Mix

Candy

raisins

veggie chips

Funny thing is, a woman near me kept sneaking her dog out of its carrier!! :angry: and my eyes were so swollen from the dog hair as she petted it and I kept sneezing and stuff, so I never even ate any of my food! Not even the pudding!

Ugh! What a pain!

I'm going to have to bring some gluten free crackers and cheese spread I think. I found some corn wafers in Germany that taste better than wheat--with cheese and salami, they should be great (as long as I can get in the cheese and salami!).

The security I will go through will be Italian, and there's a lot of awareness of celiac in Italy, so I hope I'll have that on my side. And of course I will have to eat everything before landing in Atlanta :) or throw it out.

Okay, I'm feeling much better about it now. No need to panic. I may not starve after all.

georgie Enthusiast

I may be travelling next year to Europe. I am so scared .... what to eat... what you can bring - not bring. I have early diabetes so have to eat regularly and not just sweets. I need proper meals :( eek.

sillyyak Enthusiast

I just got back from France. For the flights (I took Delta/Air France) they did not have gluten free meals but I ordered what I though was the closest meal: the bland meal. It was OK. I could not eat everything but they did have plain potatoes, plain chicken, and plain carrots as the main entree and a Kozy Shak pudding with some fresh fruit as desert as well as a plain salad - with no dressing doused all over it.

I also brought along some rice cakes, Glutino crackers, and a snickers bar.

For the meals in France, I discovered a store that I think is a chain: NATURALIA. They have a whole gluten-free section, including gluten-free baguettes!

I was worried also but after some initial apprehension it turned out OK

I do recommend the bland meal for long haul flights.

JDinAUS Newbie

Hi,

Will be travelling to the US from Australia with my wife (who is celiac - also hates using computers - hence my post here) and kids in a couple of months. The trip from Australia to LAX will be okay - QANTAS offer gluten free meals. However, we'll be in transit between LAX and Little Rock (including stop and layover in Dallas) for up to 8 hours so we're having to think ahead about catering for my wife during this period. Total time of the trip usually comes up to 25-30 hours with layovers, etc by the time we get to Little Rock.

I've noted gluten free soups, etc earlier in the thread and we'll be taking these on board.

Can I assume that there are not any restaurants or food outlets in LAX or DFW that offer gluten free foods? I'm expecting a 'no' on this but I thought I'd ask anyway.

Thanks,

Jay

Phyllis28 Apprentice

for JDinAUS

Below is the link to the restuarants at DFW. Wendy's (gate C14) and Chili's (gate C16) have gluten free menus at the restuarants outside the airport. Most airport food outlets do not have a full menu inside the airport. You will have to check.

Open Original Shared Link

Below is the link to the resturants at LAX. Please note that unlike DFW not all terminals are connected together and going to another termnial may require additional trips through security. You will most likely be landing at the Tom Bradley International Termnial. Like DFW you will have to check with the individual companies to see if any of the restuarants have gluten free food.

Open Original Shared Link

hockymom on another thread brought frozen pizza. You could bring frozen food and ask one of the restuarants to reheat it. I have not tried this.

Have a super trip.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I brought:

Trail Mix

Candy

raisins

veggie chips

I always have my letter from the doctor with me and never had any problems. I already flew when they had the new liquid restrictions. And even though celiac does not have an anaphylactic reaction, there are celiac bracelets... and the guys at the airport don't know anyway ;) I'd use it to my advantage... Security at the airport also told me, that it's not a problem to bring food with water in (like the packaged tuna with water for example), when the package is NOT opened yet. I also saw that they made mothers eat a spoonful of their baby's food, when it was an open bottle, to proof it's not an explosive or something. They might make you eat something. Or show them it can't be explosives by eating a spoonfull, when it's already open. At the same time for all mothers here that fly with their babys in the future. If your baby is not a celiac, you still might want to get some glutenfree cans or bottles, in case you want to feed at the airport and there's some leftover. I would not want to eat my babies food with wheat in it. Keep the regular bottles with wheat shut until you're on the plane...

When I flew to Spain last year there was also a woman with her dog beside me. She kept sneaking it out of the carrier, too. I told her to knock it off, because I'm allergic or otherwise I'll tell the stewardess. Because it's not allowed to let them out of their carriers during the flight.

Stef

JDinAUS Newbie

Phyllis, thanks for the links and the info on Wendy's and Chilli's. Hopefully this will give us a few more options. :)

JenKuz Explorer
I just got back from France. For the flights (I took Delta/Air France) they did not have gluten free meals but I ordered what I though was the closest meal: the bland meal. It was OK. I could not eat everything but they did have plain potatoes, plain chicken, and plain carrots as the main entree and a Kozy Shak pudding with some fresh fruit as desert as well as a plain salad - with no dressing doused all over it.

I also brought along some rice cakes, Glutino crackers, and a snickers bar.

For the meals in France, I discovered a store that I think is a chain: NATURALIA. They have a whole gluten-free section, including gluten-free baguettes!

I was worried also but after some initial apprehension it turned out OK

I do recommend the bland meal for long haul flights.

That's good to know! But I thought Air France had a gluten free option? At least they told me on the phone that they did...perhaps it's a recent addition to their options? I just know that the Delta-run flight didn't have it...

I loved the gluten-free options I found in Germany when I was last there...I plan to stock waaaaay up on the crackers, cookies and pasta while I'm there :D Can't wait.

sleepingbean Newbie

We brought Lara bars because they are pretty filling, small, and yummy. I ordered online (much cheaper). Apple Pie and Cherry are my favorites. Also, good chocolate, something salty like cashews. Some whole fruit. For me, protein is a must when I'm doing that kind of quick eating.

I hope it goes well for you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
dh204 Apprentice

hi everyone!

yeah, i just found out much to my surprise and dismay, that delta does not offer a gluten free meal. in fact, i was kind of shocked because i'm a freq flier and i have flown a lot of the major airlines, which all have gluten free meals. so i ended up cancelling my ticket on delta (they offered to give me back a 100% refund) and i think i will go back to my usual airlines.

i usually fly KLM, which has a decent gluten-free meal; it even has a piece of gluten free bread (which is kind of weird and dry, so i think it just needs to be toasted or something).

if you're going to be flying a lot between the US and europe, i'd go for another company other than delta. maybe try united airlines which is part of the star alliance, so they have a lot of direct flights to germany. or lufthansa which is in the same alliance as united, and i'm pretty sure they've got a gluten free menu.

also, someone else mentioned air france/delta not having a gluten free meal:AF has gluten free options, but delta does not, so it sounds like in this case, whomever it was who flew AF/Delta ended up on a delta flight with an AF codeshare #.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Yes, Lufthansa has a glutenfree meal. And it's even one of the best I ever ate on a plane.

Now, Jen, if you like the gluten-free food you can find in Germany, try the gluten-free Lasagna (in german "lasagne"), which you should find in the freezer section in a supermarket that carries gluten-free food. It is the real italian thing, not the stuff you can find over here in the US. And it's a difference like day and night. I was only about 10 days in Germany. I shoveled two of those lasagnes into my face :blink: . OMG, they were fantastic and I really miss them over here. I asked my husband once about if he knows how to make a good and authentic lasagna. He didn't have a clue. He didn't even know, that there is bolognese sauce and bechamel sauce in a real lasagna. :lol:

Hugs, Stef

Daryl Newbie

I just flew from Atlanta to Rochester and back two weeks ago. I was able to take yogurt and cookies with me in my carry on luggage. On the return trip i had cold cuts, bread, yogurt and cookies. i wasn't questioned at all. It's a short flight, and i was able to make & eat my meals before we flew, but i was able to get through security with all of that.

Archived