This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anheuser-busch Ships Sorghum Beer

BigRog

BigRog Rookie

Anheuser-Busch ships sorghum beer

Redbridge caters to those on gluten-free diets

Dec 20, 2006 - The search for gluten-free beer gets easier for drinkers this week as Anheuser-Busch releases Redbridge, the first nationally distributed sorghum-based beer.

The beer has been in testing for more than a year and many A-B distributors have already lined up placements in stores, such as Whole Foods and Wild Oats, featuring organic and other speciality foods.

A few regional brewers cater to those seeking gluten-free beer. Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee won a gold medal at the 2006 Great American Beer Festival with New Grist Ale, while contract-brewed Bard's Tale Ale now ships to 18 states. Ramapo Valley Brewery in New York also makes a honey-based beer, and Saint Louis Brewery (Schlafly bees) produces a sorghum beer sold only in it Bottleworks brewpub.

Two women in Arkansas are seeking investors for a brewery that would produce only gluten-free beers and hope to be shipping Dark Hills Brewery products within a year.

Sorghum beers serve first those with celiac disease, although those allergic to wheat may also drink them. According to government statistics, more than 2 million Americans have been diagnosed with celiac disease. The genetic disorder causes stomach cramps and digestive problems and can lead to other serious health risks. People with celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, oats and spelt. Those are the grains traditionally used to brew beer.

Anheuser-Busch worked closely with the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) during the development of Redbridge. It is brwed at A-B's Merrimack, N.H., brewery, contains 4.8% abv and has a suggested retail price of $7.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce bottles.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BigRog Rookie
Anheuser-Busch ships sorghum beer

Redbridge caters to those on gluten-free diets

Dec 20, 2006 - The search for gluten-free beer gets easier for drinkers this week as Anheuser-Busch releases Redbridge, the first nationally distributed sorghum-based beer.

The beer has been in testing for more than a year and many A-B distributors have already lined up placements in stores, such as Whole Foods and Wild Oats, featuring organic and other speciality foods.

A few regional brewers cater to those seeking gluten-free beer. Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee won a gold medal at the 2006 Great American Beer Festival with New Grist Ale, while contract-brewed Bard's Tale Ale now ships to 18 states. Ramapo Valley Brewery in New York also makes a honey-based beer, and Saint Louis Brewery (Schlafly bees) produces a sorghum beer sold only in it Bottleworks brewpub.

Two women in Arkansas are seeking investors for a brewery that would produce only gluten-free beers and hope to be shipping Dark Hills Brewery products within a year.

Sorghum beers serve first those with celiac disease, although those allergic to wheat may also drink them. According to government statistics, more than 2 million Americans have been diagnosed with celiac disease. The genetic disorder causes stomach cramps and digestive problems and can lead to other serious health risks. People with celiac disease cannot tolerate gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye, oats and spelt. Those are the grains traditionally used to brew beer.

Anheuser-Busch worked closely with the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA) during the development of Redbridge. It is brwed at A-B's Merrimack, N.H., brewery, contains 4.8% abv and has a suggested retail price of $7.99 for a six-pack of 12-ounce bottles.

BigRog Rookie

One of the things that excites me about this is a national company is paying attention to Celiac's disease. This could lead othe large regional or national companies to do the same giving us easier andd better access to products that we must order online or hunt for.

It can only be good for us to have more publicity.

And my local beer dist already has it and is looking for more gluten-free beers to handle. I think this is a result of A-B producing this product.

BamBam Community Regular
One of the things that excites me about this is a national company is paying attention to Celiac's disease. This could lead othe large regional or national companies to do the same giving us easier andd better access to products that we must order online or hunt for.

It can only be good for us to have more publicity.

And my local beer dist already has it and is looking for more gluten-free beers to handle. I think this is a result of A-B producing this product.

My husband found Redbridge Beer at our local Super Wal-Mart. He brought it home and said

you better go make sure this is the right one. And it is, so I will be drinking my first beer in the

last ten years or so! So people, look to your local Supe Walmart's and you probably will find RedBridge

Beer by Anheuser Busch. It is made from sorghum and right on the label it says "Made without Wheat and Barley!"

Felidae Enthusiast

I hope they'll start exporting the beer into Canada too. It would be great to have two choices of gluten-free beer.

Clark Bent as Stupor-Man Contributor

hopefully they took the time to make this beer actually taste better than budweiser

I had a six pack of Bard's Tale a week ago and it was pretty good.. either that or I haven't had a real beer in too long and forgot what one should taste like... the Bard's Tale is also made from sorghum and is easy to find around me in jersey

happygirl Collaborator

I've yet to find it in my area....I'm not even a beer fan, and I'm still looking forward to trying it! Husband wants to try it, so that if he just wants a beer, he can drink it (say, around the house) and still get a kiss! Plus, I'm looking forward to using it in cooking (marinades, roasts, etc). I'l prob stick to my nice glass of red wine....but I just want to try it!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

NewB Newbie

Brilliant!! Beer again...though i had one in Guatemala last month (people told me it was rice beer--but it didn't taste like sake) and no reaction!!!

Daxin Explorer
I hope they'll start exporting the beer into Canada too. It would be great to have two choices of gluten-free beer.

I emailed the company, explaining the canadian dilemma od only one kind of gluten-free beer.

Below is the email they sent:

Thank you for e-mailing Anheuser-Busch. We are honored to hear that those living a gluten-free lifestyle in Moose Jaw and across SK are interested in Redbridge, our company
Felidae Enthusiast
I emailed the company, explaining the canadian dilemma od only one kind of gluten-free beer.

Below is the email they sent:

We need to rally to get them to ship it up here! :o

Great idea to e-mail them. I should do the same. The liquor stores here are having a hard time keeping La Messagerie on the shelves. There's nothing wrong with a little competition in the market.

JJL Newbie

I bought some of this today from a liquor store that just opened up next to my workplace. I had actually known this was going to show up soon, but waited to buy it because I figured that it would be horrible, watery stuff that cost $20 a sixpack, and if I was going to live with only a memory of beer for the rest of my life I wanted it to be a good memory.

I've just drunk my first one.

It isn't watery, it only cost me $7.50, and it tastes pretty good. It's been a few years, but I think it tastes like some variety of Samuel Adams -- which is good. Sam Adams was always my favorite American beer.

Hail, Sorghum! And thank you, Anheiser-Busch!

MY GOD, I'M DRINKING BEER!!

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

OMG, so it's true. I have to appologize to my husband for b%$@#ing at him. He mentioned it to me, and I'm like 'Yeah, right, just like last time when you glutened me with Amstel light!' And I told him, when there's a glutenfree beer from Busch indeed, you guys would know about this and i haven't read anything about it on here yet. Well... until now. So I guess I have to call him right away and tell him, he was right <_<

hathor Contributor

The Bard's and Redbridge web sites allow you to input your zip code and see where you can find the products.

For New Grist, it looks like you have to email or call them.

I put my e-mail into the Redbridge site and nothing popped up. Strangely enough, when I called my husband, he already knew where to get it around here. I don't get it :unsure: . Where do I go to find out, if they sell Bards beer around here???

Tim-n-VA Contributor

They had it at the Whole Foods in Springfield, VA (near DC) last week. I didn't try it though.

Virginia is a little bit far from us. I won't travel down there in the next few weeks, but good to know.

alex84 Newbie

just wanted to say thanks for the info on the gluten-free beer! i would have never known

alex84 Newbie

i know i just posted but i ran out to the store and bought this stuff. the guy who said it tasted like sam adam's was right on. it's pretty darn good and i would definitely recommend it for anyone who used to love the taste of beer.

Archived