This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

G Tube Feeding In Celiacs

angigz32

angigz32 Newbie

I was told my son had celiac from blood tests. Than the doc did the biospy and said he didn't have celiac. Also in his bowel movement I was told he had celiac. Well now he has a G tube from feeding, because he just wouldn't eat at all. I don't hear of no other parents that has there kids on a G tube. Is there any one out there with their child on a G tube? Also we are waitting for him to gain weight to lose weight for the tests that will cause him to lose weight. He might have something else wrong I don't know?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

The blood tests are rarely false positive but the biopsies frequently miss the damage.

Go gluten free and see if he improves. You have nothing to lose and possibly everything to gain.

richard

rgeelan Apprentice

I'm sorry to sound so stupid... What is a G tube?

angigz32 Newbie

A G tube is a tube that was put in my sons stomach. So he can get the nutrition, that he needs to grow. I have a machine and like a I.V. pole that holds the bag and the machine. Than the machine operates the tubeing to, 60 cc and that is what goes in my sons stomach

angigz32 Newbie

By the way he is on ELECARE already digested medical food.

angigz32 Newbie

O.K how come nobody else kid has a feeding tube? My son was totallly breast fed at 17 months. And weighted 16pds and they put the G tube for feeding. He also had all the systems of celiac. I guess they just feel he has another problem. What else could he have any one know?

ryebaby0 Enthusiast

What tests are they going to do to "make him lose weight"? I've never heard of such a thing! What hospital are you with -- who put in the G-tube? I've heard of several children who had ng tubes (down the nose&throat) for elemental feedings, but G-tubes are much more serious things. You need to ask your doctors why they put in a G-tube, how long they want it in, and what besides celiac they think is wrong. (Don't blame yourself -- breastfeeding is no guarantee of good health) Maybe what you are asking is "is this how they treat celiac usually" and the answer is no... He could have Crohn's, autoimmune enteropathy, ulcerative colitis, short gut syndrome -- but they should have told you this.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I have to admit I have never heard of any child whose main or only problem is celiac having a G tube. If all he has wrong is celiac it sounds like your doctors went WAAAY overboard. If all he really has is celiac, stopping the gluten should stop the pain and solve everything.

richard

angigz32 Newbie

ryebabyo

Thank you you answered all my questions. The gastrologist put Zackary on the G tube. One of the test he is doing is putting him back on gluten. Because he is Gluten free now. The gastrologist put the G tube in because my son just wouldn't eat at all. It was like food hurt. But than again his intestines show no damage or nothing else wrong with his intestines.

kirst4588 Apprentice

oh my gosh, sweetie - i'm no expert - but can you get a second opinion - how old is your son now? how long was he gluten free? and, did it help him (ie did he gain weight? did he have symptoms while being gluten free?)

angigz32 Newbie

My son is 21months now. He weighs 21 pds. He has been Gluten free for six months. But he still would not eat. So he didn't gain weight. On friday the doc were going to send him to the hospital because he was running a fever. And having loose bowels. I don't know maybe he has a feeding problem? The doc seems to think something else is wrong. I think because of his blood work.

kirst4588 Apprentice

Please keep us updated - we'll say a prayer for you, for answers and recovery

Archived