#61 BridgetinOhio

BridgetinOhio

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:39 PM

Bridgetin ohio'
My I ask what the supplement was that took your fibro pain away or is this forbidden on this board?
Thank's
Miche

Sorry--- slow responder! lol I have been taking 5k of vitamin D in the morning and because of possible malabsorbtion 2k at night. My levels are just now reaching normal. I still have pain if I'm pushed on or poked but it has decreased.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 sayccrn

sayccrn

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

I too have fibro, and hypothyroid. I just hope that now that I know it is really Gluten, I may get some of my functioning back and maybe save my daughter from this awful thing!
Does anyone know if if their fibro symptoms have gotten better significantly from the gluten-free diet? Are there any studies or research articles on it.

#63 justrosy

justrosy

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Hey, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia here :) My symptoms have been body pain, memory problems, and fatigue. I went on a "no carb" diet and voila, I started feeling better. On days that I would take a break and have flour, I would flare BIG TIME and get IBS problems. Now, I eat carbs, but not gluten and I feel SO MUCH BETTER!! My fibromyalgia has definately improved. I'm wondering if I ever actually had fibromyalgia and if it was always the gluten intollerance. Seriously, right now my faith in my doctors is pretty close to nill. I'm still taking my low-dose Cymbalta, but mostly because getting off of it is such a bear and it does help alot with the neuropathic pain. I look at all the health problems I've ever had and 99.9% of them are all symptoms of gluten intolerance, even dental problems and easily broken bones.

Right now, my husband is in Afghanistan. He'll be home in about a year from now. I'm thinking that he's going to be coming home to a brand-new wife :D

Just Rosy
"The errand of angels is given to women"

#64 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,698 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

Hey, I'm so glad that I'm not the only one who was diagnosed with fibromyalgia here :) My symptoms have been body pain, memory problems, and fatigue. I went on a "no carb" diet and voila, I started feeling better. On days that I would take a break and have flour, I would flare BIG TIME and get IBS problems. Now, I eat carbs, but not gluten and I feel SO MUCH BETTER!! My fibromyalgia has definately improved. I'm wondering if I ever actually had fibromyalgia and if it was always the gluten intollerance. Seriously, right now my faith in my doctors is pretty close to nill. I'm still taking my low-dose Cymbalta, but mostly because getting off of it is such a bear and it does help alot with the neuropathic pain. I look at all the health problems I've ever had and 99.9% of them are all symptoms of gluten intolerance, even dental problems and easily broken bones.

Right now, my husband is in Afghanistan. He'll be home in about a year from now. I'm thinking that he's going to be coming home to a brand-new wife :D

Just Rosy

Welcome to the board. It is amazing how good we can feel once our problems with gluten are figured out. My family says I am like a different person and I think your husband will be very pleased with his painfree wife when he comes home. His service is greatly appretiated and you have 'the toughest job' in the military so thank you also.
If you have any questions please feel free to ask.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#65 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:13 AM

Just Rosy

How awesome!!

I was diagnosed with celiac disease in February and with FMS in April. So, I have been strictly gluten-free for five months BUT feel absolutely no relief from my FMS. Zero. Am thinking I may need to begin an elimination diet (?nightshades). But in my case I truly do believe I have severe FMS because I was involved in an accident 3 1/2 years ago that resulted in 3 herniated discs and multiple other things. For me FMS explains a lot - the biggest reason is that my back is not healing. I also believe that FMS and celiac disease are strongly linked and am still hopeful that my FMS will improve the longer I have been gluten-free. Have been on mega doses of Vitamin D3, B12 sublingual, B complex, magnesium glycinate, omega 3 and Zinc. No painkillers or NSAIDs have worked. :(
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#66 heathen

heathen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:01 AM

The important thing to remember is that fibromyalgia should be diagnosed using very strict criteria AND after everything else has been ruled out, including Celiac if GI symptoms are present. Unfortunately, it can be a default diagnosis when MD's are frustrated and would like to treat something. For those with fibromyalgia AND Celiac disease, it's important to practice good sleep hygeine and take part in mild to moderate exercise most days of the week as well as adhering to a gluten free diet. These will probably do more to help both conditions than anything else.
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2006
Villus blunting and positive blood test

#67 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 05:19 AM

The important thing to remember is that fibromyalgia should be diagnosed using very strict criteria AND after everything else has been ruled out, including Celiac if GI symptoms are present. Unfortunately, it can be a default diagnosis when MD's are frustrated and would like to treat something. For those with fibromyalgia AND Celiac disease, it's important to practice good sleep hygeine and take part in mild to moderate exercise most days of the week as well as adhering to a gluten free diet. These will probably do more to help both conditions than anything else.

Unfortunately my pain keeps me awake a lot at nights therefore rendering me exhausted and in even more pain the next day. I do walk 45 minutes a day and try to swim when I can and do gentle stretches. It is really tough having both FMS and celiac disease, that is for sure. So far being gluten-free has done absolutely nothing for my FMS. But then sometimes it is tricky to differentiate between FMS and pain from herniated discs and so on because disc herniations can cause all sorts of trouble.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#68 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 08:11 AM

I am always in pain from my fibro since I was 8 or maybe a combo of fibro and gluten both. I have had a reduction of the pain at least since I cut out gluten, soy, and dairy, but it wasn't until I cut the nightshades that I finally found some relief.
My pain levels have come down from an between an 8-9 to a manageable 3-4 unless I eat something bad. The pain is still in my neck and shoulders but my neck disengaged feel like It's gonna break any moment. My fatigue is what's the most irritating. It has only reduced a little from a 8-9 to a 6-7. But the stress of driving a big truck plus 40 years of damage I guess im lucky to have this much improvement. I'm not expecting to be 100% but o would love to see more improvement in the fatigue dept. It's only been 2 1/2 years so I'm hoping in another 3 that that might happen. I've got an appt with an endocrinologist in Sept to run a bunch of tests. Everthing from Lyme to hormones. Especially since thyroid, lupus and cancer runs through the family so bad

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#69 txplowgirl

txplowgirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

Man, hard to spell going down the road and the other half keeps hitting potholes while youre trying to spell words on a cell phone. Can be downright aggravating especially when ur phone wants to add its own words.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

#70 glassroseheart

glassroseheart

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I had a negative Celiac test three years ago, probably because I freaked out when I heard Celiac and went gluten free before my test. I never really liked wheat, even cake, but I also didn't avoid it until 2 weeks ago. I went gluten free when I decided to do an elimination diet in case my pain was food-related and my mom, a rheumatologist, suggested just eliminating wheat for now. The most obvious improvement is that the brain fog has lifted. My pain has decreased by around 2 points so far and my fatigue is a lot better too. I'm sticking with it.

#71 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:25 AM

I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I had a negative Celiac test three years ago, probably because I freaked out when I heard Celiac and went gluten free before my test. I never really liked wheat, even cake, but I also didn't avoid it until 2 weeks ago. I went gluten free when I decided to do an elimination diet in case my pain was food-related and my mom, a rheumatologist, suggested just eliminating wheat for now. The most obvious improvement is that the brain fog has lifted. My pain has decreased by around 2 points so far and my fatigue is a lot better too. I'm sticking with it.

That's great, GRH, an improvement is sure worth keeping on the gluten-free diet for. Wheat, rye barley and sometimes oats and possibly corn for some people are the grains to avoid. It might be easier to just go grain free completely for a month or so to see if that helps.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods.
Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com
http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101
http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?
http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?
http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?
http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Dessert thread
http://www.celiac.co...399#entry802399

Easy yummy bread in minutes
http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?
http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Short temper thread
http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Non celiac wheat sensitivity article
http://www.nature.co...jg2012236a.html
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#72 joolsjewels

joolsjewels

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:51 AM

Wow this thread goes way back. My mom and i both have fibro although she has never been diagnosed officially. I also have gluten intolerance, lactoce intolerance, insomnia, migraines, and restless leg syndrome. There are some other problems, but that is what relates to this post. My experience with fibro started in college. Over the winter of my junior year, i realized that my feet were painful in the morning and i had to hop down the stairs of my apartment. Years later as a sign language interpreter, i had to give it up b/c i was in too much pain in my hands and arms. After that i started teaching at a private school. There were days when i felt so dumb. The fibro fog was so bad i could not remember how to spell simple words on the board and my sentence construction came out all wrong. Most of the students were understanding, thankfully. It got so bad that the pain was preventing me from sleeping at night. I was only getting 4 hrs out of every 36hrs. I went to my principal and told him about this. He was shocked b/c i hid it so well. I asked if it was ok if i took short naps while the kids were at electives. He was very supportive. Later that year i was laid off and lost my medical benefits. Since going Gluten-Free in 2009, i have had times of relief with the fibro and times of flair ups. Last year around time, i was doing great. I lost weight. I was walking 4 mi each day. While walking one day in feb, my fingers turned blue. That night in my sleep i woke in the worst pain in a very long time. My feet were swollen. Since then i have been tested for sjogren's and in the past lupus. No dice. The only thing that shows up is an elevated SED Rate (mildly) and in the past before i went Gluten-Free my ANA was borderline for lupus, but it has since come down. I recently was referred to a sports medicine dr who specializes in fibro. She is helping me get off some of my meds. I have had several drs who saw symptom, symptom, symptom, and kept perscribing meds rather than looking for a root cause. I hope this dr will give me a bit more insight. Right now the fibro fog gets me the worst. Ihave a very hard time processing info and remembering what i was going to do. I am very strict about my Gluten-Free diet so i tend to think there is something else going on to cause this or the years of going undiagnosed gluten intoletant could have permantly damanaged my body.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: