This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Proper Welcome To Srokie!

Canadian Karen

Jestgar Rising Star

Hi srokie and JackieM,

I'm one of the extremely grouchy skeptical people so feel free to point out any time you think I'm being unfair.

I think, if nothing else, I hope you learn that all information you receive from whatever source should be considered and questioned if necessary. No one person has all the right information, and even on issues of cross contamination people have different opinions and experiences.

And welcome

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DingoGirl Enthusiast
I recently found this site via surfing for Johnny Rivers links. I couldn't figure out why his name was associated with Gluten free until I read it was a post from Dingogirl about him. As I got into reading some things here, I soon started learning that this disease, which a friend of mine suffers from, but she refers to it as intolerance, maybe that is correct too, I don't know. So if it were not for me following Dingogirls post that was on Google, howza bout thaaat, I would never have all this information here.

oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhh, so something good HAS come out of me dating JR? :huh: I have to tell you, this just cracks me up, that you can google him and then find this! I must be quite careful in what I say...... :ph34r:

Welcome, Jackie!

Hi srokie and JackieM,

I'm one of the extremely grouchy skeptical people so feel free to point out any time you think I'm being unfair.

yup, me too - - grouchy and skeptical! :ph34r: It comes from my dad......I'm still working on it. ;)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
oh my goshhhhhhhhhhhh, so something good HAS come out of me dating JR? :huh: I have to tell you, this just cracks me up, that you can google him and then find this! I must be quite careful in what I say...... :ph34r:

:lol::lol:

I was just gonna pm to make sure you saw how your Johnny Rivers stories led someone to learn about Celiac!! :o Seeeeee your stories *are* pertinent to the board!! :D

I still dont think I know who he is...I must Google. :ph34r:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
Srokie, did she tell you if it was B-12 or not that you were not absorbing? All that talk of bread,eclairs, and baquettes started giving me pain.

There is not one of us on this board who can't empathize with how you have felt. I still do not absorbe my B-12 anymore because of this disease so I am constantly taking sublingual B-12's as opposed to shots. I know when I am low in B-12, I get very fatigued.

I am happy when people find out they are Celiac at a younger age. I hate to think of them suffering the decades I and many others have suffered from this disease and the irrepairable damage it has done to us.I am never happy anyone has this disease. It is not an inexpensive or convenient disease to have.

We need our governments to wake up and see how disabling this disease really is, perhaps if some of them had this they would get on board with us in many ways

I have enlarged the font on here in hopes of making it easier on Judy, without the yelling of caps..

Welcome Srokie..again from me.

See how nice people are...Rusla...thank you so very much for the large print. Got a notice from Scott about my Caps..i've been working on it but can't seen to get them larger for me to read while typing. will try to enlarge now and see if it comes up on the reply.

god so much work to figure this out.

my god ti worked when it come up but doesn;t help while typeing.

guess i'll just have to do the post and then caps and do a 'edit'

lord all mighty

thanks Rusla, your the best.

j

Jestgar Rising Star
I still dont think I know who he is...I must Google. :ph34r:

How could you NOT know who Johnny Rivers is!?!?!

Oh wait, that "24" in your name must have something to do with your age....

Lisa Mentor

I am clueless also :(

Lisa-52

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I was just gonna pm to make sure you saw how your Johnny Rivers stories led someone to learn about Celiac!! :o Seeeeee your stories *are* pertinent to the board!! :D

:lol::lol::lol: Y'all just can't imagine how extremely funny I find this....oh and thanks, Rachel, for thinking of me. ;) Pertinent? me? :huh:

check this out

Open Original Shared Link

(could thsi thread be ANY more off topic?)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

A heartfelt and warm welcome from myself also srokie! Glad we can all start over (wish we could start over with our bodies before gluten ruined them!)

Mtndog Collaborator

I can't believe someone found this site via Johnny Rivers- that is WAY too funny! See, it really is a small world. And Susie- you are NEVER grouchy. :P

Lisa-52 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm Beverly-39.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
(could thsi thread be ANY more off topic?)

Well.....seeing how Srokie has ran for the hills...I guess the topic really has no point. :huh:

Sooo...on that note I would like to welcome JackieM to the board. :D

I'm really glad that Susan's Johnny River stories brought you to this board....and its great that you're taking the time to learn more about your friends diet!! :)

Nope...I'm clueless at 35 :ph34r:

mtdawber Apprentice
I am clueless also :(

Lisa-52

When I heard the song I knew it but he was first popular in 1964 - that's 40 years ago. I was still a twinkle in my daddy's eye then.... :blink:

And please not one get upset - I'm not trying to offend anyone by how long ago it was. I think it's great that we can share this stuff.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
check this out

Open Original Shared Link

Thanks for the link. :)

Next time JR comes up...I'll be MUCH more informed. ;)

Rachel--24 Collaborator
When I heard the song I knew it but he was first popular in 1964 - that's 40 years ago.

Awwww....see...its not so strange that I dont know who he is....aside from being Susan's ex. :P

DingoGirl Enthusiast
I can't believe someone found this site via Johnny Rivers- that is WAY too funny! See, it really is a small world. And Susie- you are NEVER grouchy. :P

Lisa-52 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm Beverly-39.

:lol: Susan - 45 (JR is 19 years older than I). And yes, occasionally GROUCHY!!!! :ph34r: (remember, I was one who may have hurt Srokie's feelings.)

Well.....seeing how Srokie has ran for the hills...I guess the topic really has no point. :huh:

Sooo...on that note I would like to welcome JackieM to the board. :D

I'm really glad that Susan's Johnny River stories brought you to this board....and its great that you're taking the time to learn more about your friends diet!! :)

Nope...I'm clueless at 35 :ph34r:

IT really is great that Jackie is trying to learn about her friend's diet. Interesting how that came about.

When I heard the song I knew it but he was first popular in 1964 - that's 40 years ago. I was still a twinkle in my daddy's eye then.... :blink:

And please not one get upset - I'm not trying to offend anyone by how long ago it was. I think it's great that we can share this stuff.

We're not always as trigger-happy as we've been lately......you're not offending! Good to have you here.

Lisa Mentor

The song is called "Secret Agent Man", can't remember who sang it, but it was a theme song for a tv show in the 60's if I recall. (sort of a 007 type show).

I'll have to keep an ear out for Jonny Rivers.

DingoGirl Enthusiast
The song is called "Secret Agent Man", can't remember who sang it, but it was a theme song for a tv show in the 60's if I recall. (sort of a 007 type show).

I'll have to keep an ear out for Jonny Rivers.

It was also in the Austin Powers movies (at least the first one) and then he made some $$ by singing a bastardized version of it for Walmart...... :lol:

What I love is when I'm walking through TJ Maxx or something, just minding my own business, and a song comes on....

"....summer rain, taps at my window......"

and I just smirk to myself and kind of crack up, like a mad woman....... :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator
It was also in the Austin Powers movies (at least the first one)

HEY...I think I heard "Secret Agent Man" before!!

Probably from the movie. :ph34r:

debmidge Rising Star

Welcome new board friends...glad you peristed and stayed.

JackieM Newbie

Well I'm confooozed, let's see, then came Srokie, Srokie not, Srokie welcome, Srokie gone like a big bird. For what it is worth, I'm sticking around, as long as you want me here. Sorry it all took a turn for the worse. Enuff said from me on that subject.

Ok, now to Johnny Rivers. Summer Rain happens to be my favorite song of his. That was in 1968. Other songs that may help some of you out are Memphis, Mabelline, Poor Side of Town, and many others, In the 70's a song called Rockin Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu. I remember being told that B) Secret Agent Man B) theme song was from a 60's tv show. I don't really remember the show. Maybe we could google it and find out? lololol Sometimes people will say they never heard of him, but if you name a couple of songs sometimes they say, 'oh yeah I remember that one.'

I got the biggest kick out of finding this site when surfing for his website. It is a nice site, but today I tried to check out the J Rivers message board forum, and it is closed. hmmm oh well. one forum closes and another opens and I just shuffled in. How cool is that. Hey Dingogirl, something's about that Summer Rain song?? I'm intrigued by that one. lol

It's just funny how life brings you to new things. Sometimes it's good to let have a little play in the steering wheel of life,it brought me here, how special is that! :)

It really is cool that I landed here searchin JR . lol I once had an acquaintance that dated Rob Grill of the Grass Roots. I thought that was cool, until she told me that she learned that he wasn't the bag of chips she thought he was. lol

Dingogirl has me really curious about her knowledge of JRivers. (Johnny not Joan) lol Nice to be welcomed here by all. I think I may have posted too much here on this thread concerning Rivers. I'm still finding my way around here trying to learn the board and what to do and not do. lol

JackieM

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Hmmmmmmmm.......wonder why the JR forum is closed down. Well Jackie, you are too funny and I'm glad you found yoru way here. :) You might enjoy some of our other goofier threads - Rachelville 2 or the (currently dorman) Silly Yak thread - -

I will pm you a little bit about JR. ;)

Mtndog Collaborator
Hmmmmmmmm.......wonder why the JR forum is closed down. Well Jackie, you are too funny and I'm glad you found yoru way here. :) You might enjoy some of our other goofier threads - Rachelville 2 or the (currently dorman) Silly Yak thread - -

Welcome Jackie! And the Silly Yyak thread is NOT dormant! I just posted something on it for YOU Susie Q!

JackieM Newbie

From what I could see earlier it looked as though there was some problems with something not acceptable being posted like spam, adult sites or something like that. I know when I have gone there before to look there would always be one or two there. Maybe they got tired of it, so they just closed it.

Kaycee Collaborator
Hi srokie and JackieM,

I think, if nothing else, I hope you learn that all information you receive from whatever source should be considered and questioned if necessary. No one person has all the right information, and even on issues of cross contamination people have different opinions and experiences.

And welcome

Jestgar, well put. I'm a sketic as well, but not as grouchy. (You grouchy?)

I always question what I am told and see how or if that imformation applies to my own situation, I never ever believe anything just because someone told me it was true, but it gives me food for thought and maybe looking at the problem in a different angle, and I never expect anyone to follow my opinions 100%.

It is our own responsibility to do our research and come up with our own answers, and through this forum I have found my answers quicker, but then at times I have been on wild goose chases, but I still have found my answers.

So far I don't seem to have come across anybody else on this forum with the same problems or symptoms as me, but then I am not looking for sameness all the way through, we are all different and with wide ranging personalities and ideas, and that is the beauty of this forum.

Cathy

tiffjake Enthusiast

Hi Srokie. I am not on this board too much, just pop in now and then and answer the questions I think I have an answer to, and discuss those things that I have something to add to. I just read the toilet paper/paper towel thread, so I am late to the drama, but I just want to say that I, personally, try to always add "my opinion" or "I think" just to cover my butt in my posts.

I hope you weren't scared away!!! Please do hang around. I was "attacked" by a board member some time ago, over something really stupid, and I left the board for a while, but I enjoy the ideas, and the conversation, as long as we all agree that it is our opinion (most of the time) that we are sharing. Anyway, welcome, and I hope you are doing well. ~TiffJake

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Tiffany, it is so nice to see you again. :) I"m sorry you were attacked. You were missed. And, I am enjoying the Bare Mineral (that's right, foks, this darling girl sent me her stuff that she wasn't using! )

:rolleyes:

Archived