This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Kimberly-clark

srokie

srokie Newbie

I don't know if this topic has been addressed or not yet, since it's not "new research" (and it's not from Dr. Saviano, haha) - I got this information from a celiac at my college, who got it from a celiac newsletter or magazine.. or something...

Anyway, any toilet paper and paper towels made by Kimberly-Clark are dusted with flour to make them more absorbent. (I don't know if it extends to tissues or not, but I'm guessing it does.)

This includes Charmin, Bounty, Cottonelle... can't think of any more off the top of my head.

I use Brawn paper towels and Angel Soft or Quilted Northern, which are made by Georgia Pacific.

SIMILARLY: I heard that Planter's dusts their nuts with flour to cut down on the oil. Again sorry if this is old info. They don't put it on the label and are paying a fine - they have been given a time limit.

I also heard that Crystal Light adds flour to their powdered drink mixes to keep them from caking up. They also do not put this on the label but I can't remember if they're paying a fine, or what the story behind it is.

(Got this info from Dr. Saviano).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've never heard that before. Planters really dusts their products with wheat? I used to eat planters until I got a peanut allergy.

wowzer Community Regular

Interesting news on the toilet paper. I read something on here about Northern not being gluten free anymore. I had just bought some and you could see 2 glue lines down each roll. For anyone that is interested, I emailed about Puffs Plus tissue and they informed me that it was gluten free. I'm battling big time itching down there and have been using Charmin Plus with no problem.

wowzer Community Regular

I just checked Charmin is made by Proctor and Gamble.

Viola 1 Rookie

I've had a problem with Planters and no longer eat them.

I don't worry about the toilet paper as I don't eat that, gluten has to be ingested to harm the intestine.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I don't worry about the toilet paper as I don't eat that, gluten has to be ingested to harm the intestine.

This thread is very interesting. Thank you Srokie! Viola, it's wonderful that you feel you do not have to worry about these products simply because you do not eat them. As for me, I feel differently. Things that touch me do harm me. I am very disappointed in this information. Why must these companies do things like this? Shampoos with wheat in them make my head itch and you can ingest shampoo. If you are making cookies for you family, you can ingest flour from the air. Sometimes I grab toilet paper to use as a kleenex and yes, I do feel I could possibly react to that little bit of flour on it. I thought I was safe with toilet paper, I feel violated by this info.

I am suffering from a chemical imbalance again after 5 yrs of being gluten free. I have not felt good for months now and I keep racking my brain as to why. My sister asked me if I felt I may be glutening myself slowly with something and I told her there is nothing I can think of. My home is totally gluten free, but now, is it?

Srokie, this is very upsetting to me, yet thank you so much for bringing it to my attention.

Deb

ArtGirl Enthusiast

I had heard about Kimberly Clark (and others) dusting with cornstarch, but not wheat flour. I don't use paper tissues, and, since I have to stay clear of corn also, my choices of toilet paper are limited to Scott and Angle Soft which currently don't contain cornstarch - which I use sometimes for nose blowing (but usually I use a hanky)

Dusting is a problem, but if the gluten is only in the glue, that should be easily avoided - just remove the top layers and don't use all the way to the inner roll.

Brawny paper towels and paper napkins do not contain any gluten (I wrote them) but they do contain cornstarch in the glue - but are not dusted with it.

Paper products or the production lines are often dusted with something (usually cornstarch) to keep them from sticking in the manufacturing process. That includes paper plates, too. It is always safest not to use them until you can varify what exactly they use.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Ok.......here we go. First Matter of busisness. Please do not post information that you are not clearly sure of. Hearsay and grapevine info just doesn't cut it. Please do the research and find out for yourself before posting 100% sure that products are not gluten free. It creates mass chaos and tons of "clean up duty" for folks. I advise writing the companies first and then posting the information that you recieve from them along with a date of recieving the info. I'm not trying to be harsh here. It is just SO important that we all get correct information. What I have seen posted here is just not correct and will take some clean up duty to fix.

In reguards to planters nuts....they do NOT dust their nuts with flour. Can you imagine now nasty that would taste if they did? Have you ever tasted raw flour? Gross! :P It just isn't true.

Crystal light is made by Kraft. Kraft clearly lists any gluten containing ingredients on the labels. If you don't see (wheat flour) listed then it's just not in there. Again I go back to , can you imagine what it would taste like with raw flour in the drink mix? GROSS!

Charmin toilet paper is not made by Kimberly Clark. Bounty paper towels are also not one of their products.

I am also going to guess that Kinberly Clark does not add flour to their toilet paper. Just a guess here. Please feel free to write the company and post here as to what they say. I can't imagine what a mess it would make "down there" if they did add flour to their toilet paper. When you mix flour and water it makes a gross paste......I don't think they want folks having a gross paste "down there". Just my 2 cents.

I hope that helps to de-bunk some of the rumors started with this thread. Make sure that we are actually writing to the companies to find out information and not just posting heresay info. We all know how critical it is that information is correct.

Thanks!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I don't know if this topic has been addressed or not yet, since it's not "new research" (and it's not from Dr. Saviano, haha) - I got this information from a celiac at my college, who got it from a celiac newsletter or magazine.. or something...

Anyway, any toilet paper and paper towels made by Kimberly-Clark are dusted with flour to make them more absorbent. (I don't know if it extends to tissues or not, but I'm guessing it does.)

This includes Charmin, Bounty, Cottonelle... can't think of any more off the top of my head.

I use Brawn paper towels and Angel Soft or Quilted Northern, which are made by Georgia Pacific.

SIMILARLY: Planter's dusts their nuts with flour to cut down on the oil. Again sorry if this is old info. They don't put it on the label and are paying a fine - they have been given a time limit.

Crystal Light adds flour to their powdered drink mixes to keep them from caking up. They also do not put this on the label but I can't remember if they're paying a fine, or what the story behind it is.

(Got this info from Dr. Saviano).

jaten Enthusiast

Thank you, Jessica!

jesscarmel Enthusiast

gosh i hope this info is not true! thanks jessica for clearing it up

Jess

jaten Enthusiast
gosh i hope this info is not true! thanks jessica for clearing it up

Jess

It is not true. Not all encompassing. Easy enough to check yourself. Hopefully, srokie will begin to do a little research herself before posting every negative ("Celiacs can't have...") rumor that she bumps into.

Srokie, as a student at a top 20 university, you surely know the importance of verifying what you hear and read, particularly when the information comes from some nameless source...."I got this information from a celiac at my college, who got it from a celiac newsletter or magazine.. or something..."

I am sure that if you've been newly diagnosed, the gluten-free world seems a bit overwhelming. Take a deep breath. Slow down. Spend some time performing your own research. Please when you post "you can't have..." posts, provide the specific source of such information so that people who read these posts can read for themselves. I think this request has been made to you before. Thank you!

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I am researching this product. Kimberly Clark bath tissue is Kleenex Cottonelle, and Scott. I have a letter into them, I hope you are correct Jessica.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I use Scott brand and have had no problems. I have no down there irratations. I have used I want to say Herbal Esscence shampoo and conditioner and it had contained wheat and I did get the scalp itching and irratations. I tried to research last night on the Kimberly-Clark website and did not find any helpful information. Hopefully darlindeb25 will get a response soon and help us out.

Lisa Mentor

PLANTERS IS A KRAFT COMPANY!!!!!!

srokie Newbie

It is too true, and I wouldn't have posted it if I weren't sure. I know you are all skeptical, but I'm trying to help you.

Why would a newsletter that and EXTREMELY sensitive celiac I know gets completely make up their info? This girl was feeling bad for a couple of months until she discovered the Kimberly-Clark fact, and hasn't had a problem since. You can feel the flour if you touch Cottonelle. It's just a little powdery feeling.

Planter's DOES dust their nuts with flour to keep the oil down. Dr. Saviano is a celiac herself, and she has contacted companies time and time again about this stuff. I don't care what they report - you have to ask for the Biochem department if you want real answers. She knows what she's talking about and she would not tell her clients false information just for the heck of it. She has treated way too many celiacs who have had problems with these products to be making it up. She had a client who was reacting to Crystal Light and by doing her own research with the Biochem department, she discovered the truth.

Just because the labeling law is in effect doesn't mean companies put everything on the label. Or that they put the whole story. They can pay a fine and not put it on there. Why? I don't know. Obviously to make us miserable.

You have every right to be skeptical, and if you choose to ignore me, that's your choice and you can use / eat anything you darn well please. I would not post anything that I was not sure of. The REASON I'm posting it is because you would have trouble finding this on your own. Call Dr. Saviano's office if you don't believe me. I posted the number many times.

srokie Newbie
I just checked Charmin is made by Proctor and Gamble.

I was told by that celiac friend of mine that it was Charmin and Bounty, and when I asked for clarification, she said it's anything made by Kimberly-Clark. She is extremely sensitive and wouldn't tell me something like that unless she was having a reaction to it.

angel-jd1 Community Regular
I was told by that celiac friend of mine that it was Charmin and Bounty, and when I asked for clarification, she said it's anything made by Kimberly-Clark. She is extremely sensitive and wouldn't tell me something like that unless she was having a reaction to it.

Just another valid point of heresay isn't the way to go. Please do your research before posting information. Charmin and bounty aren't even made by Kimberly Clark. The things that you have posted thus far are not true. Planters and Crystal light are Kraft companies. They list gluten containing ingredients on the labels.

Do you happen to have the name of this newsletter that your friend with celiac gets? I'd be interested in seeing the information for myself. I'm sure others would be interested as well. :rolleyes:

I am just trying to say, please be careful with what you are posting. Please do not post heresay info and grapevine info. Do the research yourself and then you are sure and you aren't putting others at risk for incorrect information.

It is desperately important that we have correct information on the board. Thank you.

-Jessica

srokie Newbie

You know what, forget you guys. Use all the flour you want. Obviously nothing I say is good enough for any of you. I met a few people on here who I will keep in contact with, but as for the rest of you, you obviously could care less about getting help unless some MD supershot tells you all the info. This is my last post, thanks for shutting me down again when I truly cared about you guys. You have the right to be skeptical but not to completely not believe me just because I'm a new celiac. I happen to have a doctor who is probably far more ahead in her "time" than most of the people who treat celiac. Sorry you don't care to benefit from that.

I'm NOT going to be checking the replies to any more of my threads so don't bother posting. Please don't bother. The only thing I will do on this site is get the info from my message box on how to contact the few people who cared what I said.

Again, don't reply to anything I've said unless you want someone else to read it. I'm done here. I've found a doctor who gave me dramatic blood test turn-around results in 6 months because she knows what she's talking about so I don't even need this site; just thought I'd share what I've found. Say whatever you want to about me or my doctor; it doesn't change the fact that I'm rapidly on my way to recovery.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We are not trying to not believe you or disagree with you in anyway, we are just trying to make sure the information is correct.

Charmin is made by Proctor-Gamble, I have a relative who used to work for that company. My fiance's family uses cottonelle, I have never felt any powdry feeling.

Kraft is a very reliable company, most people on this forum would tell you Kraft will not hide ingredients. If I was new and I clicked on this topic I would think Kraft is not a trustworthy company. This is really the complete opposite. Kraft is a good company.

Please don't take my post in the wrong way, I am not trying to start things.

Lisa Mentor

Srokie:

I think if you would take some time and read through all the wonderful information on these posts, I know it would be very helpful to you and perhaps a little eye opening.

jaten Enthusiast

The discrepancies continue....

In Srokie's first post of the thread:

"...I don't know if this topic has been addressed or not yet, since it's not "new research" (and it's not from Dr. Saviano, haha) - I got this information from a celiac at my college, who got it from a celiac newsletter or magazine.. or something..."

In post 15 of the same thread Srokie said:

"...Planter's DOES dust their nuts with flour to keep the oil down. Dr. Saviano is a celiac herself, and she has contacted companies time and time again about this stuff. I don't care what they report - you have to ask for the Biochem department if you want real answers. She knows what she's talking about and she would not tell her clients false information just for the heck of it. She has treated way too many celiacs who have had problems with these products to be making it up. She had a client who was reacting to Crystal Light and by doing her own research with the Biochem department, she discovered the truth...."

The bold formatting of some words is my own for emphasis. The words themselves are Srokie's.

If Srokie is a newly-diagnosed Celiac, I truly wish her well, and hope she finds accurate information. I for one will not be begging her to return nor will I be apologizing for asking her to research and provide specific sources. To me she appears to have her own agenda, whatever it may be.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

I suggest that several of us contact Planter's and Crystal LIght (not that I'd ever drink that stuff-yuck) and ASK them if this is true.

It is entirely possible that the flour (if they use it) gets toasted as the nuts are dry-roasted. I also believe that it is well within the realm of possibility that some companies are using wheat or flour and paying a fine for now.

Let's check it out with the companies before we insist that it is impossible.

As for the toilet paper, I have in the past noticed a powdery feeling with Charmin, and assumed that it was cornstarch, but I don't use it, so couldn't say if it has it now. Again, it's worth checking with the company. What do we have to lose by checking? This might be especially important for those with ongoing DH.

Can anyone find out to whom these companies would have to pay a fine? That might also be a good place to do some detective work. Even if the reps of these companies lie on the phone and say everything is kosher (and it very well might be), whoever they pay fines to might be able to give us more accurate information.

Michi8 Contributor
I am also going to guess that Kinberly Clark does not add flour to their toilet paper. Just a guess here. Please feel free to write the company and post here as to what they say. I can't imagine what a mess it would make "down there" if they did add flour to their toilet paper. When you mix flour and water it makes a gross paste......I don't think they want folks having a gross paste "down there". Just my 2 cents.

I hope that helps to de-bunk some of the rumors started with this thread. Make sure that we are actually writing to the companies to find out information and not just posting heresay info. We all know how critical it is that information is correct.

Thanks!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

I just want to add to what Jessica said...if flour or cornstarch is added to toilet paper, it would also be a risk for enouraging the growth of bacteria/yeast. I highly doubt this is common practice by the paper companies.

Michelle

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Here is the information I got from Planters a while ago:

(I was hoping I could eat cashews or something since I just developed a peanut allergy).

My e-mail:

I have severe food allergies and I was wondering if any of your nuts

come in contact with gluten or milk during the manufactoring process

Their e-mail:

Thank you for visiting Open Original Shared Link.

We're sorry, but we do not own the PLANTERS Peanuts brand in Canada. We recommend that you get in touch with them regarding the product you have in question. Here's their contact information:

John Vince Foods is located in Downsview, Ontario. Dial toll free in Canada (800) 268-7950.

Or, from outside Canada, you can call (416) 636-6146 Ext. 7169.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you again soon!

Lisa Mentor

THANK YOU CARRIE FOR POSTING THAT.!!!

This information is just about as accurate as it can get. Thank you again.

Archived