DingoGirl

my babies ♥

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,645 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

Your husband prefers to have his nuts in a can?? :blink:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well shirley just tell him to KEEP his dusty nuts in that can, why don't you ;)

When Ty first went gluten-free, I called Hershey and was told they clearly label and will NOT hide gluten in natural flavour. Now 2x yesterday, with two different operators I was told they WILL hide gluten in natural flavour because they are not required to label rye/oats/barley/malt in an allergen bold or may contain line. :angry:

well HARUMPH! :angry: that is so silly, and so very taxing. But, I do eat Hershey's safely- as long as I just eat a bit. (um, it wasn't working so well when I was eating HALF A BAG of the nuggets with almonds. :ph34r: Happy to report I self-intervened and there have been no Nuggets for months now.)

must go, hungry just now and I am thinking about a nice dusty flour-y roll of Charmin. :)
SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#212 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

Hershey changed their policy several months ago. Rye and oats are not going to be hidden anywhere, even in natural flavors. I've never heard of that happening. Last time I checked, Hershey also said that any barley would be in malt and that malt would be listed. I can't say if that's changed, but most often barley is indeed "hidden" in malt.

richard

#213 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

Fiddle-Faddle-
you and I work in the same place only different locations...only we are not union where I am but I work with about 10 women and the drama is nuts! I am the youngest in the office and I feel as if I act more mature than the senior members of the team, if you can call what we have a team, everyone is for themselves. There is the back stabbing, the complaining, and since there is a group of 5 of them who worked together for years they have not been welcoming to myself and the other new people, some new to our state and area...we have been there a year now and I still feel like a stranger.

Now my rant is over, but I just wanted to let you know I understand where you are coming from.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#214 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 02:22 AM

I had forgotten that doctor-hating thread. CeliacMe was just too angry to be rational. I assume that's why she was banned.

richard

Oh my, I hope that wasn't the real reason she was banned --- that will really keep newbies away if they think they can be banned for venting in a thread made specifically for venting.

Being that you brought this old item up, I have to admit and I am probably one of the only ones who will say this, but I will say it in the nicest way, but I was ready to leave the board permanently due to the way she was being "baited" by other posters on the "vent about doctors" thread which I believe she started in the first place.

This is all I will say about that thread: but the undue & cruel criticism of her opinion by others really, really bothered me. It really opened my eyes to the personalities of some of the posters. So as you can see I had a different viewpoint of the thread.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#215 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:18 AM

Fiddle-Faddle-
you and I work in the same place only different locations..we have been there a year now and I still feel like a stranger.

I've been at my job for 19 years, and most of the Nasties have been there around 10 years--and I feel like a stranger!

#216 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

Yuuummmm

Dusty nuggets with a toilet paper chaser!!!
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#217 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

Hershey changed their policy several months ago. Rye and oats are not going to be hidden anywhere, even in natural flavors. I've never heard of that happening. Last time I checked, Hershey also said that any barley would be in malt and that malt would be listed. I can't say if that's changed, but most often barley is indeed "hidden" in malt.

richard

Hi Richard,

I wouldn't expect rye or oats to be "hidden" either, and usually "malt" is listed as malt, so it's the fact that barley can be in the natural flavour that threw me off. I'm in Canada, but I think the call centre may have been in the states since they asked for a zip code and not a postal code. The lady who answered did say that natural flavour could be any kind of a plant source including barley, but that wheat would definitely be labelled. (Please call any time I have a question about ingredients.)

I'm reasonably sure the chocolates we've been buying are safe, it just bothered me that the response was so...I can't think of a word...cavalier? You know, "We're not required to label it, so we don't."

Ty is well aware of what ingredients (if clearly labelled) he can and can't have and always asks if the item is gluten-free. Then he'll say, "I can't have wheat, all-purpose flour, rye, oats, barley or malt." He knows the drill, it'd be nice if everyone used those words, though.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#218 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

I've been at my job for 19 years, and most of the Nasties have been there around 10 years--and I feel like a stranger!

It is a horrible feeling somedays, the thing that bugs me the most is only myself and another girl sit in my area. When I leave to go somewhere when I come back a girl I do not get along with is always here and they are whispering and once I sit down they both stand up and leave. Even if it has nothing to do with me....how would you take it?

Posted Image

#219 Fiddle-Faddle

Fiddle-Faddle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

It is a horrible feeling somedays, the thing that bugs me the most is only myself and another girl sit in my area. When I leave to go somewhere when I come back a girl I do not get along with is always here and they are whispering and once I sit down they both stand up and leave. Even if it has nothing to do with me....how would you take it?

At least they leave! The Nasties here just go right on whispering, giggling, and looking at me. If I try to draw them into conversation ("hey, how's your baby?") , one of them will say, "Do you mind? We're talking." Ugh. (I'd take it the same way you do--it's seventh grade all over again. And it was bad enough the first time!)

#220 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:32 AM

The Nasties...that is so funny! I am going to comment more on this once I get home. ;)

Posted Image

#221 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:58 PM

[quote name='DingoGirl' date='Jan 15 2007, 10:52 PM' post='257806']
oh my gosh, I just read about three pages of that HEINOUS thread. That's a BAD one.

You know......it is astonishing....I joined on January 27th - the very day this was all going on. I can see why you took your "vacation" - - what a nasty thing that was. And here was sad little me - - with no IDEA in the world what was going on in YOUR world......]

Its been a year so in case I forget happy anniversary! I too joined the same time and look at the difference in the number of posts lol But I'm a quiet person so its not that your talking alot :P (I think I saved you)

Rusla you are so funny my gosh I can't stop laughing.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#222 Shiba

Shiba

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

Reverting to skin products etc that contain gluten - our daughter was diagnosed after being made to use makeup remover at her school. She told me it had stung, and later that her face 'felt like it was going to break out'. That was Friday - Monday she had a horrendous rash - huge blisters incredibly painful - missed a week of school. I do not know if the remover had gluten in it - didn't get to see the actual bottle - and caused the rash, or if her celiac and anaemia had made her skin very sensitive.
In the long run, I'm glad it happened, as she had no gastric symptoms and turned out she was very ill - of course, I am still so very guilty about it not being investigated sooner - but that's another thing

#223 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:08 PM

At least they leave! The Nasties here just go right on whispering, giggling, and looking at me. If I try to draw them into conversation ("hey, how's your baby?") , one of them will say, "Do you mind? We're talking." Ugh. (I'd take it the same way you do--it's seventh grade all over again. And it was bad enough the first time!)

How immature of them... "The Nasties" that is funny :)
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

#224 srokie

srokie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:07 PM

No I haven't read your posts and no I'm not going to; this is just FYI because you may recall I'd give you info the second I got my hands on it and I keep my word.

Someone said gluten is only dangerous if ingested... Here is a doctor saying it is dangerous if it is inhaled. I am making no comparisons to anything I have previously said so don't go yelling at me about inhaling toilet paper; I won't even be reading your repsonses. Just wanted to share info since you all demand sources.

From Clan Thompson's latest newsletter:
------------
Dear Dr. I have biopsy confirmed celiac disease as well has what appears to be DH rash on my elbows, buttocks, ankles and scalp. I am on a very strict gluten free diet and my blood tests are coming back normal so I believe I understand the diet and am rarely eating gluten. The rash has been gone for almost a year. My question is this. I work in a very small office without much air movement except with a fan. One of my new office mates is munching on pretzels most of the day every day we work together.[Big bags not just snack size] I have re-developed the rash and my muscles and bones are hurting like they did before going gluten free. I think that I am breathing/swallowing enough of her pretzels to react to them. I reacted this way on a school field trip to a sheep barn which was full of rye and oats on the floors and animals. I have nicely asked my co-worker to refrain from eating the pretzels but she seems to be angry at me for even asking. Another co-worker has severe peanut allergies and we can't eat peanuts in the room when she is present but I can't get the same consideration. Am I over reacting? I have looked everywhere for an answer about inhaling gluten but haven't found anything on it. Sincerely, Christa

Dear Christa, "Inhaling gluten" is essentially the same as eating gluten. If there is enough in the air to inhale it, it then sticks to the mucous membranes of the throat and it is swallowed. I have seen a person who worked in a bakery as well as a farmer who clearly reacted to inhaled (and subsequently swallowed) gluten. Sincerely, John J. Zone, M. D.
-----------

Also, the celiac at my college who told me about Kimberly-Clark said she got the info by calling the company. I don't care if you believe me or not. It made a HUGE difference for her when she stopped using Kimberly-Clark products.

My next appt with Dr. Saviano is Feb. 2nd and I will post what she says about soy. I will also post the info she gave me a while ago about soy as soon as I have it.

If you want to contact me you can email me.
Will no longer be posting or reading replies. Bye.

#225 emcmaster

emcmaster

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 12:24 PM

Oh good grief. :blink:
ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)
corn-free (03.27.2007)
xanthan gum-free