#1 malosp

malosp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:23 AM

Hi there,

I am new to this forum but not to celiac disease. I have been pretty good with my diet for the last 13 years and was very healthy.

Just recently I have been experiencing some of my old gluten symptoms. Nausea, stinging in my intestinal track, weight loss, headaches, a hung over feeling etc.

The only lab that was elevated was a slightly elevated lipase.

Does anyone else have an elevated lipase with gluten intolerance. I think I may have inadvertently gotten gluten from some meds I was taking.

Any take?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

I did a the time of my diagnosis, I have not had it drawn since, but it was elevated. I don't have the labs on me now, but I can get them tomorrow and see because I think there was another lab which was elevated.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#3 jesscarmel

jesscarmel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:05 PM

i had elevated lipase and amalayse when i had pancreatitis which the dr said was caused by the undiagnosed celiac.....

Jess
Diagnosed in March 2006 after being in the hospital due to pancreatitis due to undiagnosed celiac
years of being told i had IBS, taking numerous IBS medications (since the age of fifteen)

#4 Guest_cassidy_*

Guest_cassidy_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2007 - 02:36 AM

Someone posted about this a few months ago and several people responded but I don't remember much more about it. You might try searching here to see what you find.

When I had my celiac panel the only thing that came back high was lipase. I never got an explanation and I get gluten-free that very day so I didn't persue it. I'm pregnant and they have practically taken 1/2 my blood out in the last few months and all the tests have been normal, so I would think that my gluten-free diet got it under control because that is the only change I made.

#5 malosp

malosp

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 04:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies,

At first I thought it was pancreatitis but when I went to my doctor he didn't think it was...just the lipase mildly elevated. But...I have stinging abdominal pain and I assume that I inadvertently got gluten through some medication I was taking that I didn't check out well enough.

Well now I am off the medication and I feel like I am starting at square one again in regard to getting well again from the gluten damage to my intestinal tract. I guess I will stay on clear liquids for a few days and then slowly add back food.

It is interesting to find out so many people with gluten intolerance have elevated lipases. It scares you though when the doctors tell you that.

So thanks again..I will keep everyone informed. I am holding off on CT scans and ultrasounds for now and see how I feel.

#6 djf3

djf3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:47 PM

Thanks everyone for the replies,

At first I thought it was pancreatitis but when I went to my doctor he didn't think it was...just the lipase mildly elevated. But...I have stinging abdominal pain and I assume that I inadvertently got gluten through some medication I was taking that I didn't check out well enough.

Well now I am off the medication and I feel like I am starting at square one again in regard to getting well again from the gluten damage to my intestinal tract. I guess I will stay on clear liquids for a few days and then slowly add back food.

It is interesting to find out so many people with gluten intolerance have elevated lipases. It scares you though when the doctors tell you that.

So thanks again..I will keep everyone informed. I am holding off on CT scans and ultrasounds for now and see how I feel.

#7 djf3

djf3

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:57 PM

Hi

I fairly new to your site. Did you do the CT scan? My doctors insisted on a CT scan last week when my amylase and lipase came back elevated, I should have my results on Monday.

My lab reading were as follows:

Amylase 131 U/L normal 30 - 110

Lipase 435 IU/L normal 23 - 300

I mentioned to the doctor that I have read a Pub Med article of a small study in Italy that identified about 20% of celiacs had elevated lipase/amylase. This study was done with only about 55 people so I don't know if that is considered a big enough study to be conclusive, but I doubt it.

Did anyone else have a CT scan, if so, what were your results.

#8 DVK

DVK

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 19 May 2007 - 09:26 AM

Hi

I fairly new to your site. Did you do the CT scan? My doctors insisted on a CT scan last week when my amylase and lipase came back elevated, I should have my results on Monday.

My lab reading were as follows:

Amylase 131 U/L normal 30 - 110

Lipase 435 IU/L normal 23 - 300

I mentioned to the doctor that I have read a Pub Med article of a small study in Italy that identified about 20% of celiacs had elevated lipase/amylase. This study was done with only about 55 people so I don't know if that is considered a big enough study to be conclusive, but I doubt it.

Did anyone else have a CT scan, if so, what were your results.

I think I was the origial person who inquired about this months ago, I was told I was having Pancreatis, However after months of being sick and having the same ranges as you with elevated lipse, once I found out I had Celiac Disease, and starte watching my diet, things went to normal.

From my understanding Lipase is produced in a fw places and us with celiacs can have problems with our pancreas if we dont watch our diet, however ours is coming from Leakage in the GUT, its standard to happen but more in celiac disease so Its not too worry about, I did have a CT scan and ultra sound and all was normal but my lipase was up and down for months,

#9 deezer

deezer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

I had elevated lipase around the time I was diagnosed
For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. - John 3:16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: