arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

arrowJoin Celiac.com's New Online Support Group

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Does Constipation Make Anyone Really Irritable?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mtndog

Mtndog

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

:ph34r:

I have been incredibly irritable. I mean, pardon my French, psycho-hose beast from hell, irritable. I'm trying to examine a couple of potential causes and I'm wondering if this could be one of them.

I won't go into detail too m uch but today was the first time I went in quite awhile and I feel markedly less irritable.

It would really help me to know if this happens to others.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

In the midst of winter, I found there was within me an invincible summer.
Albert Careb

Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:27 PM

Heck yes, just ask the hubby. That's when I get out the brown rice and more water. And he leaves the house. Chicken! :P
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

I am so glad you posted this. I noticed this about myself a lot. I do notice I am a much more tolerable person if I am not constipated. Like you said, you went today and feel like I have less outbursts.
It is so embarressing to ask people this though. Ask my sweetie, I seem a little more at ease when I have normal movements.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:45 PM

Oh my God- I'm so glad you guys replied. I was about to go back and edit the post and elaborate a little.

OK- So, here's what I'm trying to figure out. I have a tendency toward clinical depression (I'm on medication) and I'm trying to figure out if my meds have pooped out (pardon the intentional pun). But it's not my normal depression symptoms (anxiety, crying, lack of appetite, sleep disruptions). It's just PURE bitchiness. And my poor hubby is getting the brunt of it. :( :( I"VE BEEN REALLY REALLY MEAN and I feel so bad.

Constipation has been a chronic problem for me my whole life. My GI prescribed Miralax back in October and I took it for awhile, but I hated the idea of having to take a med to go to the bathroom (I am definitely someone who resists medication). But lately I've been going up to 10 days without a BM so I started taking it again 3 days ago.

I'm just wondering if you get that "bound up" (my dad always uses this phrase- it cracks me up! :P ) are you going to get irritable, sluggish, unmotivated etc?

I'm also wondering if when you are constipated you are holding in all the toxins you need to eliminate?
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#5 lonewolf

lonewolf

Gluten Free pancakes over the fire!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

My in-laws will say that someone "acts like they have a turd crossways" :ph34r: when someone is grouchy. So at least in their family it must be really common.
Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

#6 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:02 PM

My in-laws will say that someone "acts like they have a turd crossways" :ph34r: when someone is grouchy. So at least in their family it must be really common.

BA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is hilarious! Uhm..Ok..maybe I'll try taking the Miralax for awhile before changing depression meds. I've definitely been acting like I have a "turd crossways" :P

I just read this on a website and thought I'd share for giggles: When the colon is clean, we experience feelings of well-being, good health and more energy. The colon is, in effect, the sewage system of the body and like any garbage retainer, it is susceptible to stagnation, rotting and the build up of poisonous substances. If constipation is unchecked, the decay is not limited to the intestines. The poisons that build up in the intestinal tract are reabsorbed causing fatigue, irritability, weakness, lack of ambition, bad breath, bloating, flatulence etc.

Some people with mild cases of constipation do not know any different and go around feeling tired all the time. Are you feeling tired? A clean, smooth operating, intestinal track is a necessity for good health, peak energy and a long life.

Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#7 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

I recently had a spout of a few days without a movement and man I was hell to be around. John said something that bugged me the other day and it was a yelling match within seconds, then I got frustrated and threw whatever I had in my hands at the wall. I am not a hostile person either...I never get destructive or anything so the behavior for me was very unlike myself.

I have been having some problems at work and have been looking for a new job, there is too much drama in the office and I cannot stand to be part of it anymore. I was passing off my outbursts to this but after seeing how I act when I am "Flowing normally" I think it is more along the constipation terms. I am very sluggish and tired too. Maybe all that crap is weighing me down :)

Posted Image

#8 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

I recently had a spout of a few days without a movement and man I was hell to be around. John said something that bugged me the other day and it was a yelling match within seconds, then I got frustrated and threw whatever I had in my hands at the wall. I am not a hostile person either...I never get destructive or anything so the behavior for me was very unlike myself.

I have been having some problems at work and have been looking for a new job, there is too much drama in the office and I cannot stand to be part of it anymore. I was passing off my outbursts to this but after seeing how I act when I am "Flowing normally" I think it is more along the constipation terms. I am very sluggish and tired too. Maybe all that crap is weighing me down :)

OK- this is starting to make se sense. I am not hostile either but I've been acting that way toward hubby and just have no patience for anyone but hubby is getting the brunt of it because he's the one I see the most.

I would think my meds had pooped out, but I'm not like this EVERY day. But far too often lately.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#9 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

I am supposed to be planning our wedding but instead I have been dealing with this, I have become a little withdrawn and not the happy-go-lucky person I usually am. It all started about a month when I got a stomach bug....nothing was the same since. I know I have not been getting glutened....I have no other known intolerances and the only problem I really have is the constipation deal. Did you ever try one of those enemas or a laxative to help? Another subject you never feel comfortable talking to just anyone about :lol:

Posted Image

#10 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:46 PM

yes, irritable in a very impatient way. like I'm impatient about more than just my bowel. ;)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#11 mtdawber

mtdawber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

That's the funniest thing I've heard.... I was laughing so hard my husband asked if I was alright over here.... rolling on the floor LMAO!!!

I get irritable when I go too much or don't go enough... why can't we poop like normal people? It stands to reason you are grumpy because you can't go.... you literally feel like crap :P :P :P (sorry had to...)
Tanya

Canadian eh and new to all of this!
DH Diagnosed December 20, 2006
Waiting on Gatro appt. until April!

#12 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:11 PM

i love you guys! Only here can I talk about my turd sidewaysness! :P :P

I did find some interesting (not very scientific but food for thought) info in a google search:
Depression via Constipation

Constipation and Depression

Constipation in the elderly

Constipation as a Cause of Depression?
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#13 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

Very informative links, isn't is amazing what a little bit of crap can do. No pun intended. :)

Posted Image

#14 Mtndog

Mtndog

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,254 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

:P :P :P :P

I found this abstract on PubMed:
AIM: To study the brain-gut interaction and the effect of behavioral or psychiatric conditions on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) in an African population. METHODS: IBS was diagnosed using the Rome II diagnostic criteria. The entry of each patient was confirmed following detailed explanations of the questions. Four hundred and eighteen patients were studied. Subjects satisfying the Rome II criteria for IBS were physically examined and stool microscopy was done to identify the presence of "alarm factors". Depression was diagnosed using the symptom-check list adapted from the Research Diagnostic Criteria (DSM-IV) of the American Psychiatric Association. RESULTS: Seventy-five (56.8%) of the 132 IBS patients were depressed whereas only 54 (20.1%) of the 268 non-IBS patients were depressed. There was a significant relationship between IBS and depression (c2 = 54.29, Odds ratio = 5.21, 56.8 +/- 8.4 vs 20.1 +/- 5.2, P = 0.001). Even though constipation predominant IBS patients were more likely to be depressed, no significant relationship was found between the subtype of IBS and depression (c2 = 0.02, OR = 0.95, P = 0.68). CONCLUSION: IBS is significantly associated with major depression but not gender and bowel subtypes of the patients. Patients with IBS need to be evaluated for depression due to the highly significant relationship between the two conditions.

There were some other similar studies on different populations that found similar results. I know it's IBS, but I pretty much think we all have irritated bowels!!!!! We have Celiac's. :blink: :blink: So it looks like there may be something to this. I'm going to keep looking for research.
Beverly

Gluten free since 2005

Albert Careb

Posted Image

#15 Electra

Electra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

I don't know about constipation, but Celiac and Gluten cause me to be like that. I think it's part of the disease UNFORTUNATELY!! I haven't been constipated in years, but I feel like I am a lot UG!!

Good Luck I hope it gets better soon!!
~~Angie~~

DX'd With Narcolepsy In 1995
Dx'ed With Celiac On 12-18-06
Positive Biopsy On 2-1-07
DX'd With Pernicious Anemia 4-24-07
Daughter Has DH, so I suspect she also has Celiac!!

"If Alcoholism was Celiac Disease they would make us drink ourselves into kidney failure before they would admit we had the disease"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: