This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Stress And The Celiac

2wheels4eyes

2wheels4eyes Explorer

Glutened again... third or fourth time in about 10 days and not sure what the problem is, just that it sucks to be me tonight.

I'm under rather extreme stress (work + family + personal) just now though so I'm not sure if:

a) stress makes a run-in with gluten more severe (that whole gut-as-the-2nd-brain connection)

B) stress makes a run-in with gluten *feel* more severe (The "I can't deal with one more thing right now" reaction.)

c) stress makes a run-in with gluten more likely (The last thing on a stressed mind is what's getting put one's mouth.)

d) it isn't gluten at all but just stress!

e) it isn't stress at all but just gluten!

Anyone else notice a stress/symptom connection? And which of the above, or combination of the above, or other than the above, do you think causes it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

2 wheels,

I hope that you start to recover soon...I agree, it is no fun to be you right now. UGH! Have you found out the source of your reactions? I hope that your gluten reaction subsides and that your "other" issues lessen their burden on you.

I'm not sure about others experiences, but for me, it is a clear cut reaction. If I have gluten, I'm horribly sick. If I don't have gluten, I'm perfectly fine. For me, it doesn't matter what my situation is....I can't react without gluten. However, when it happens at a particularly "inconvenient" time, yes, I definitely find it mentally/emotionally tougher to deal with (i.e., I can't deal with this too!)

On the other hand, stress is implicated in heightening many people's responses to pain, as well as aggravating other autoimmune disorders, so, it certainly woud make sense.

Something I noted about your post though---you said that this was your multiple glutening in a short time span. Mine get progressively worse if they happen like yours have-short time frame-I guess because I hadn't healed from the previous one, so each kept getting worse. That may play a role in it, especially now, on your multiple glutening.

I hope each day gets better. Let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Take care,

Laura

StrongerToday Enthusiast

My stomach has always been sensitive to stress. It's always the first thing to "go" :rolleyes: when I have something major going on. My dr. reminds me that the gut is our "second brain" and has the same chemicals/hormones as our brain does, so if our brain is stressed it makes sense that the stomach feels it as well.

SchnauzerMom Rookie

Stress always hits me in the stomach too. Being gluten free helps but I still have problems sometimes.

Lisa Mentor

Stress can be a factor for me. In fact, stress was my trigger for Celiac..

I hope things will "settle" soon.

elonwy Enthusiast

Stress has been shown in studies to weaken the immune system. They did a study on the common cold, and showed that stress was the biggest factor in whether or not people got sick when exposed to cold viruses. If you expand on that, it would make sense that this would apply to gluten. I know that stress makes everything worse for me, and makes me feel run down to begin with, so if I did have a gluten episode, it would be way worse, since I was already funky to begin with.

Feel better,

Elonwy

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Stress, stress, stress.....it can make *anything* worse.

Stress affects me everywhere....starting with my stomach. :(

The immune system is extremely vulnerable to stress so it makes perfect sense that if you've been glutened at the same time you're dealing with stress...the reaction will hit you harder. It most likely would be that much harder to recover while under stress as well.

Its also possible that you're not continuing to gluten yourself but that you're misery is intensified and prolonged due to stress.

Stress can trigger all sorts of problems so try to take some time to relax and pamper yourself. :)

I know...I know...easier said than done...but it really is important to try to avoid too much stress.

I cant stress it enough. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Stress has been shown in studies to weaken the immune system. They did a study on the common cold, and showed that stress was the biggest factor in whether or not people got sick when exposed to cold viruses.

Yup its true. My Dr. told me that more people get sick after the holidays than any other time of year. Its because they wear themselves out with the preparations, shopping, cooking.....all of the stress that we go through getting ready for the holidays. When its over our immune system is run down...and we get sick. Stress is proven to cause illness of all kinds due to weakening the immune system.

Also...something I recently learned.

Chronic stress causing an overproduction of stress hormones which need to be broken down and eliminated by the body. Continual stress from physical, mental, or emotional sources overburdens our systems and allows for the gradual build up of toxins in our organs.
  • 2 years later...
lkonya Newbie
Glutened again... third or fourth time in about 10 days and not sure what the problem is, just that it sucks to be me tonight.

I'm under rather extreme stress (work + family + personal) just now though so I'm not sure if:

a) stress makes a run-in with gluten more severe (that whole gut-as-the-2nd-brain connection)

B) stress makes a run-in with gluten *feel* more severe (The "I can't deal with one more thing right now" reaction.)

c) stress makes a run-in with gluten more likely (The last thing on a stressed mind is what's getting put one's mouth.)

d) it isn't gluten at all but just stress!

e) it isn't stress at all but just gluten!

Anyone else notice a stress/symptom connection? And which of the above, or combination of the above, or other than the above, do you think causes it?

Yes, there definitely is a connection between stress and being symptomatic for me. I have been under severe tremendous stress for over 5 years now and I have been gluten free for 10 months and I STILL become symptomatic with the slightest little amount of stress. I will even become symptomatic just watching a drama on TV if it triggers me to being stressed. Try to exercise, stay diligent on your diet, add lots of Vitamin B's and all the other essential vitamins as well, and don't watch anything or be around anyone at all that stresses you. I was an Human Resource Manager until 5 years ago and I can tell you to just isolate yourself when you feel even the slightest amount of stress. Do NOT allow yourself to be sucked into situations that you know are going to cause you stress. I can't have a relationship with my own son because he stresses me so much. I have to keep him at arms distance right now for my own sake. Try to get some self-help books and just kick back and relax. The self-help books will really help alot to keep your focus and give you inner strength. I have also found going to Church helps alot...be around people who truly are supportive of you and your disease. Good luck and please feel free to write me if you need help. Hang in there...we are all here to help each other. Thank God for this forum as it is a wonderful thing. Linda :)

hannahp57 Contributor

if i am very stressed i can eat fresh fruits and veggies all day long and you would still think gluten had snuck in some how. i dont know how many others have this problem but i have always been like that. i have to make myself relax so i am pretty picky about the things i allow to preoccupy my thoughts. it takes some training because stressing over things seems so beyond our control

Lisa16 Collaborator

Stress gets me too. I remember once (before diagnosis) I crunched my finger in a door (broke it) and before going to the ER, I had to run for the bathroom immediately. Good lord! Celiac stinks. So does stress.

Hopefully you will recover with a little TLC. Cut out as much of the stress as you can. Maybe this means not answering the phone, checking email or calling in sick for a day or two. Drop out for a little bit.

If you have time, here are some nice things to do for yourself:

take a hot bath with nice salt/soap/bomb/ bubbles

ditch your tight clothes and put on your favorite jammies/sweats

curl up with a good book and a heating pad

drink lots of herbal teas like camomile, peppermint and hibiscus

take a vitamin and digestive enzymes if they work for you

rent your favorite old movie

buy yourself some flowers

scarf some chocolate if you can eat (even if it is enjoy life chocolate chips)

get a message with scented oil

put on your favorite celiac disease (EDIT: meant to say compact disc but it read it is celiac disease instead!)and hang out sipping tea

if you have a cat or dog, use their fuzzy selves as a hot water bottle

Good luck!

Pegleg84 Collaborator

I totally know what you mean, and am going through a bit of the same thing the past few days. I had some sweet potato fries at a restaurant on thursday, not thinking things through of course, and got some cross contamination glutening. Felt nauseous and crappy for a few hours. Anyway, Friday I was more or less fine, but saturday and sunday I've been nauseous after eating anything! including potatoes, corn, rice noodles, and even a gluten free muffin and a peach i just had. I am under a fair amount of stress lately too, so that could be adding to it. Personally, it feels like when I first went on the diet. I call it a gluten-hangover. And I've been doing so well too. *shakes her fist at her stomach*. I'm going to go eat some rice and take some ginger now. bleh.

Hope you're feeling better though.

• 2 years later...
Learner01 Newbie

I apologize for commenting on an old thread. I read a comment somewhere recently that alluded to stress, heavy emotional stress, as the trigger for Celiac. Back in the early 2000's my widowed mother decided it was time to remarry. Kept me completely in the dark. It was a very, very difficult time for me as I was already trying to recuperate from a cross-country move and my father's death. Well, after a visit with my family, I began to see new symptoms. First my hair began falling out. Then, the other symptoms trickled in. I was at the lowest point in my life. So, while I've looked back to believe that I've always had 'mild' gluten issues, this stress-that-broke-the-camel's-back really pushed me over the cliff (was positive for Hashimoto's). I've never been tested for celiac. I've been told my a naturopath/holistic doctor that I'm GI. Long story short, I certainly believe that major stress will exacerbate underlying health issues. For me, the path was evident: intense emotional stress-->Gluten reaction-->Thyroid trouble-->Hashimoto's. Since I have managed my stress and been gluten-free, my symptoms have gone away and my hair has come back. It feels so good to know what was ailing me for so many years!

kareng Grand Master

Because this is such an old thread, the original posters likely haven't been on this forum in a few years. So they won't see your info or respond to you.

Archived