This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Martha Stewart Gluten Free Segment

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

Posted on listserv this morning. The owner of Baby Cakes (gluten free bakery in NYC) will be on making gluten free brownies tomorrow.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks for letting us know, Tiffany! I'll set my Tivo :D

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Thanks Tiff...Hi Jersey

Judy

happygirl Collaborator

if i can figure out how to use my new Tivo :), I'll be Tivo'ing it as well.

Thanks for letting us know, Tiffany.

Viola 1 Rookie

Thanks for this, will be sure to catch it!

angel-jd1 Community Regular
Posted on listserv this morning. The owner of Baby Cakes (gluten free bakery in NYC) will be on making gluten free brownies tomorrow.

Awesome!! Thanks for posting!

Just looked and here is the "blurb" about tomorrow's show.

January 17, 2007

Sweets for All

Today, Martha shares indulgent ideas guaranteed to satisfy everyone. First, Dylan Lauren, daughter of Ralph Lauren, is here to talk about her popular store, Dylan's Candy Bar, and to make candy centerpieces. Then, if you have a sweet tooth but are allergic to sugar, Erin McKenna, founder of Babycakes NYC, shares her recipes for gluten- and allergen-free Brownies and Cinnamon Toasties. And, Martha has a time-saving solution for busy bodies: breakfast mixes you can make ahead of time. Plus, learn about fragrant houseplants that will fill your home with sweet aromas.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Cinnamon Toasties

Serves about 10

1/2 cup canola oil, plus more for pan

1 cup garbanzo and fava bean flour

1/2 cup potato starch

1/4 cup arrowroot

1 1/4 cups unrefined sugar

2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

1/3 cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce

1. Preheat oven to 325

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Canadian Karen Community Regular

What time is it on?

What time is it on?

I was trying to figure that out myself (sick at home today and might actually get to watch it). If you find out let me know :D I'll see if I can fit it in between naps ha

I was trying to figure that out myself (sick at home today and might actually get to watch it). If you find out let me know :D I'll see if I can fit it in between naps ha

I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs.

Karen

jerseyangel Proficient

It's on here in NJ at 11AM. :)

Sillyyakdidi Apprentice

aw i'm so glad you told us, i actually have a snow day today so i'll be around to watch it instead of at school, thanks!

momandgirls Enthusiast

For anyone in the Boston area, it's just starting now (10am)....they just showed the brownies - they look delicious!

Viola 1 Rookie
aw i'm so glad you told us, i actually have a snow day today so i'll be around to watch it instead of at school, thanks!

:lol: Lots of snow days ... you only go to school in the summer? :lol:

Never mind ... we are happy to have you here instead of school anyway. :P

Yum! That cinnamon toastie looked heavenly!

jukie Rookie

Could it be....gluten free, casein free, egg free, soy free brownies that are actually GOOD?!? Can't wait to try them...YUM!!!

BTW, for those of you who TIVO'd, "our" part starts about 30 minutes into the show.

Viola 1 Rookie

It all looked so good! I could just smell that cinnamon :P Sure wish I lived close by, or maybe it's a good thing I don't ... I didn't hear colorie free :(

Maybe Barb will bake some and bring it for coffee when I'm down in Trail at the end of the month :lol:

We have three of us in the area, I live in the Slocan Valley, Barb lives in Fruitvale and Arlene lives in Trail. When we go down to Trail for any reason we all get together for coffee, and one of us brings something to eat with it. But Barb and Arlene are the real bakers ... I would rather train dogs and sew. :lol:

I got to watch part of the segment. I saw them mixing up the brownie cuppeycake things. I was cracking up watching martha stumble to pronounce some of the words (xantham gum, celiac (silly yak)) just made me laugh.

The girl from the bakery was funny. Very bubbley and I think she really did a good presentation. She kept it "not too serious" and showed people that our food CAN be good. I loved when they were talking about arrowroot flour and she said it was made from arrows :lol:

I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs.

Karen

Thanks.....Dr. thought it was Strep, however strep test came back neg. (thank goodness). It's never a good sign when they look down your throat and make one of those faces :blink: like eww gross! ha Put me on antibiotics anyways....said maybe sinus...maybe who knows ha Dr's orders to rest....so off I go :)

I was floored when they were discussing the "canola oil" and the bakery girl didn't know what it was made of, and Martha just kept going on and on and finally the bakery girl said "Can we just move on?" I'm like WHAT? NOBODY says that to queen Martha! LMAO!

jerseyangel Proficient
I was floored when they were discussing the "canola oil" and the bakery girl didn't know what it was made of, and Martha just kept going on and on and finally the bakery girl said "Can we just move on?" I'm like WHAT? NOBODY says that to queen Martha! LMAO!

Yes! Neither one of them knew--and during a commercial, someone looked it up on the internet. The two of them decided that it couldn't be rapeseed oil (!), so it had to be the "canola bean". Too funny--I can't believe Martha didn't know what Canola oil was made of. :huh:

I was busting a gut when she said that lol.........I missed the part where they looked it up and decided on the canola bean......had to get to the dr lol Too funny.......they should have her on everyday and I actually might watch that show ha

This chick is like the gluten free Rachel Ray........she needs her own cooking show. Somebody call Oprah to hook up Erin McKenna with her own show!! It would be great.

bluejeangirl Contributor

It was funny watching Martha eating like it was the best chocolate cupcake she ever had. It did look good. Do you think it has to be sweetened with the nector stuff or can I just use sugar. She uses sugar in the bread.

Gail

Gentleheart Enthusiast

I didn't see the show. Anybody copy down the brownie recipe???? I'd like to see it.

oops.....I see now that somebody already knew it and gave it at the beginning of this thread. Sorry.

Viola 1 Rookie
Yes! Neither one of them knew--and during a commercial, someone looked it up on the internet. The two of them decided that it couldn't be rapeseed oil (!), so it had to be the "canola bean". Too funny--I can't believe Martha didn't know what Canola oil was made of. :huh:

It really was funny, especially because Canola isn't a bean, it's a grain, a very tiny one, which is why they decided that it could easily be separated from wheat and the other grains without a cross contamination issue. My brother-in-law grows it in Sask.

She was using un-refined sugar in the bread I think, I don't know why you couldn't substitute sugar, but you would have to use a bit more as she said the nectar was more concentrated and you use less of it.

larry mac Enthusiast

Unfortunately, here in the DFW metromess, the local NBC affiliate ran a whole hour of ice/snow related weather coverage during the noon hour that normaly would have Martha's show. Don't know if they are going to show it here on another day or what. I had recorded it and after discovering what happenned, I just deleted it.

It's pretty big news here when it snows or ices over. Heck, I was riding my motorcycle just last week. lm

Archived