34 replies to this topic

#16 jukie

jukie

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

Could it be....gluten free, casein free, egg free, soy free brownies that are actually GOOD?!? Can't wait to try them...YUM!!!

BTW, for those of you who TIVO'd, "our" part starts about 30 minutes into the show.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

It all looked so good! I could just smell that cinnamon :P Sure wish I lived close by, or maybe it's a good thing I don't ... I didn't hear colorie free :(

Maybe Barb will bake some and bring it for coffee when I'm down in Trail at the end of the month :lol:
We have three of us in the area, I live in the Slocan Valley, Barb lives in Fruitvale and Arlene lives in Trail. When we go down to Trail for any reason we all get together for coffee, and one of us brings something to eat with it. But Barb and Arlene are the real bakers ... I would rather train dogs and sew. :lol:
Shirley

[Save the Earth, It's the only planet with chocolate and wine.

It isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Gluten free since 1989

West Kootenay.... British Columbia

#18 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

I got to watch part of the segment. I saw them mixing up the brownie cuppeycake things. I was cracking up watching martha stumble to pronounce some of the words (xantham gum, celiac (silly yak)) just made me laugh.

The girl from the bakery was funny. Very bubbley and I think she really did a good presentation. She kept it "not too serious" and showed people that our food CAN be good. I loved when they were talking about arrowroot flour and she said it was made from arrows :lol:

I hope you feel better soon!

Hugs.
Karen

Thanks.....Dr. thought it was Strep, however strep test came back neg. (thank goodness). It's never a good sign when they look down your throat and make one of those faces :blink: like eww gross! ha Put me on antibiotics anyways....said maybe sinus...maybe who knows ha Dr's orders to rest....so off I go :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#19 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

I was floored when they were discussing the "canola oil" and the bakery girl didn't know what it was made of, and Martha just kept going on and on and finally the bakery girl said "Can we just move on?" I'm like WHAT? NOBODY says that to queen Martha! LMAO!
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

#20 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I was floored when they were discussing the "canola oil" and the bakery girl didn't know what it was made of, and Martha just kept going on and on and finally the bakery girl said "Can we just move on?" I'm like WHAT? NOBODY says that to queen Martha! LMAO!

Yes! Neither one of them knew--and during a commercial, someone looked it up on the internet. The two of them decided that it couldn't be rapeseed oil (!), so it had to be the "canola bean". Too funny--I can't believe Martha didn't know what Canola oil was made of. :huh:
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#21 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

I was busting a gut when she said that lol.........I missed the part where they looked it up and decided on the canola bean......had to get to the dr lol Too funny.......they should have her on everyday and I actually might watch that show ha

This chick is like the gluten free Rachel Ray........she needs her own cooking show. Somebody call Oprah to hook up Erin McKenna with her own show!! It would be great.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#22 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:13 PM

It was funny watching Martha eating like it was the best chocolate cupcake she ever had. It did look good. Do you think it has to be sweetened with the nector stuff or can I just use sugar. She uses sugar in the bread.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#23 Gentleheart

Gentleheart

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

I didn't see the show. Anybody copy down the brownie recipe???? I'd like to see it.

oops.....I see now that somebody already knew it and gave it at the beginning of this thread. Sorry.

#24 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:37 PM

Yes! Neither one of them knew--and during a commercial, someone looked it up on the internet. The two of them decided that it couldn't be rapeseed oil (!), so it had to be the "canola bean". Too funny--I can't believe Martha didn't know what Canola oil was made of. :huh:

It really was funny, especially because Canola isn't a bean, it's a grain, a very tiny one, which is why they decided that it could easily be separated from wheat and the other grains without a cross contamination issue. My brother-in-law grows it in Sask.

She was using un-refined sugar in the bread I think, I don't know why you couldn't substitute sugar, but you would have to use a bit more as she said the nectar was more concentrated and you use less of it.
Shirley

Gluten free since 1989

#25 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

Unfortunately, here in the DFW metromess, the local NBC affiliate ran a whole hour of ice/snow related weather coverage during the noon hour that normaly would have Martha's show. Don't know if they are going to show it here on another day or what. I had recorded it and after discovering what happenned, I just deleted it.

It's pretty big news here when it snows or ices over. Heck, I was riding my motorcycle just last week. lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#26 Generic

Generic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

I was looking the other day at oils trying to decide which would be better and from what I saw both canola and vegetable oil are made of soy. WHAT THE HECK????? Is this true or was I looking at the wrong bottles, thinking I was looking at canola oil?

I wasn't feeling well at the time (brainfog).

-Laurie

#27 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:04 PM

I hope it repeats.

#28 Rusla

Rusla

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 06:29 PM

I never got to see it because I couldn't find it.

Are you telling me that they are so stupid that they did not know that Canola and Rapeseed are the same? They changed the name from Rapeseed in around the 80's to Canola because they thought rapeseed was insulting to women. Sheesh, i grew up in the prairies and I still call it rapeseed.
Rusla

Asthma-1969
wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980
Multiple food, environmental allergies
allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha
Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975
fibromyalgia-1995
egg allergy-1997
msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972
Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease
gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005
Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005
Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)
Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

#29 Viola 1

Viola 1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:22 PM

I was looking the other day at oils trying to decide which would be better and from what I saw both canola and vegetable oil are made of soy. WHAT THE HECK????? Is this true or was I looking at the wrong bottles, thinking I was looking at canola oil?

I wasn't feeling well at the time (brainfog).

-Laurie

:lol: Canola is deffinately not made from soy.
Anyway, I don't use very much Canola as it tends to bother me. I use either Olive oil or Grapeseed oil.
Shirley

Gluten free since 1989

#30 marciab

marciab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

I really enjoyed watching someone bake with all those ingredients that I had never seen before.
I'm not much of one to experiment all of my own ...

Do they have something like this on any of the cooking channels ? Marcia
Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)
August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...
July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)
Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)
September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: