6 replies to this topic

#1 JenD.

JenD.

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:36 AM

Just wanted to share my first dining out experience since being diagnosed. My fiance and I wanted to go to a steakhouse and since Longhorn is near us we decided on there. We called ahead first to speak to the manager and let him know of my situation. He assured us that he has cooked for people with allergies before and to ask for him when we got there. We asked for him and he told me to order my meat and veggies dry, no spices, etc. and he had my steak prepared on tin foil. He told me how everything was prepared, washed, etc. and where bread products were and assured me they would be nowhere near my food. Long story short, he went to great lengths ensuring that I was safe and I was very appreciative. Just letting you guys know. This gave me great confidence.

Jen
Positive Antiendomysial antibody test
Positive HLA
Positive Biopsy
- all as of January 3, 2007

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guhlia

Guhlia

Ah yes.... Happy New Year to all, Red Bridge style... LOL

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:50 AM

So glad to hear of your great experience. Perhaps we will try a Longhorne on our trip next week.
~Angie~

Gluten free since May 2004

#3 jennyj

jennyj

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:31 PM

I also had a good experience at Longhorn. I had chicken, it was great.
jennyj

Diagnosed March 2006 celiac sprue
Severe iron deficent anemia Jan 2002
Hypoglecemia 2000

"I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me"

#4 sandys

sandys

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

I also had a good experience at Longhorn. I had chicken, it was great.

Hi Jennyj I want to try Longhorn also because I'm having a hard i time finding places that I feel safe eating except Mexican chicken tacos and rice and beans. I go to the same two or three places that know us pretty well. I get a magazine called "living without" that also has a list of restraunts that has gluten free items on the menu. I found a pizza place near me that makes a gluten free pizza. I was pretty excited that I didn't have to bake it myself. I also noticed that you have an iron problem, I take 3- 18 mil iron pills every day to try to bring up my iron count up. Sandy

#5 tiffjake

tiffjake

Life is good....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:37 AM

I also had a great experience there! Glad to know this is a trend....
EnteroLab test positive for gluten intolerence and 2 gluten intolerence and celiac genes
DQ2 and DQ3 sub type DQ7 in December 2005
Gluten-free since Enterolab test, December 2, 2005.

Lame Advertisement Test positive for gluten intolerence in Sept 2005.
THEN found out that my fathers mother had nontropical sprue, she passed away at 40 from (stomach) cancer, had holes in her intestines when they caught it. I had no idea....

#6 VegasCeliacBuckeye

VegasCeliacBuckeye

Advanced Community Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

I just wanted to add that this thread is a great example for newly diagnosed Celiacs.

1. ALWAYS CALL AHEAD AND TALK TO A MANAGER

2. I love how the guy cooked the food on tinfoil, this is so simple, but many managers are clueless when it comes to creative preparation and thoughtful cooking methods.

3. Make sure you email the corporate office and tell them what the manager did for you (including the tinfoil and everything). The more emails they get, the more likely they will come out with a gluten free menu for all of their locations, plus the manager deserves some praise from the corporate office.

Recently, I had a similar experience at an IHOP. The manager went out of her way and prepared everything separately and on clean pans. It was a great experience and I told corporate all about it!

BB

#7 JerseyGirl10

JerseyGirl10

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

Hi Jen...glad to hear of your positive experience @ Longhorn. I just moved to New Jersey from Long Island and feel a bit lost without my familiar safe places to eat. I also gave Longhorn a try and found them to be very accommodating. I also emailed the corporate offices and found out that the steak sauce is gluten free. They are also working on a gluten free menu, similar to the one that Outback has. Keep asking questions and read all labels very carefully. Feel good !
Eileen :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: