Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Has Anyone Had Their Tests Come Back This Way?

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 rgeelan

rgeelan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 12:15 PM

Ok I was just curious if anyone else had only the TTG come back positive and not the other tests? The TTG was what was positive in my son and that is why the doctors are pretty sure he at least is a carrier of celiac disease if he hasn't fully developed it. But I am just curious if anyone else has had this come back like this before?

Also I was wondering when they started to diagnose celiac disease? Cause in talking with my mother she said my father had problems that he was hospitalized for as a teenager and they diagnosed it as something else called Gaisbock's syndrome. "A condition in which the blood thickens because it contains too many red blood cells and too little clear fluid (plasma). It most often develops in middle-age men who smoke, have high blood pressure and take diuretics" This is a definition from the internet. Well his symptomsw were what i have read as common misdiagonses of celiac disease and he had a lot of digestive problems and bleeding ulcers and things like that... The problem is that he died 20 years ago and there isn't anyone alive in his family I could ask about this... I am just wondering if he could have had celiac disease and been misdiagnosed and that is where it came into our family.

I am sure I put this in the wrong area but I didn't know where else to put it since it is our son who has been diagnosed so far...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 02:34 PM

It was identified over a hundred years ago, but it seems that the US is WAY behind the curve in accurately diagnosing people. They tested back then, but almost exclusively in failure-to-thrive infants, and even then patients were never told it was a life long thing. Only in the past 5-10 years, since the advent of blood tests, has there been an improvement in this.

One of the doctors I have, who is well known internationally in his specialty (so other doctors don't actually think he's some sort of quack), has noted that he's talked to other doctors about a dietary link to the condition-spectrum he specializes in. Many of them just shrug it off as him being a Californian, and thinking that many of our health problems can be - at least in part - attributed to diet. Uh.... Yeah... The two of us had a good chuckle at that little anecdote. :-)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 rgeelan

rgeelan

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

lol about the diet bit...

thanks for the info. I am curious if my father could have had it... he seemed to have a lot of the problems it causes... and i do to...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: