Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Has Anyone Had Their Tests Come Back This Way?

3 posts in this topic

Ok I was just curious if anyone else had only the TTG come back positive and not the other tests? The TTG was what was positive in my son and that is why the doctors are pretty sure he at least is a carrier of celiac disease if he hasn't fully developed it. But I am just curious if anyone else has had this come back like this before?

Also I was wondering when they started to diagnose celiac disease? Cause in talking with my mother she said my father had problems that he was hospitalized for as a teenager and they diagnosed it as something else called Gaisbock's syndrome. "A condition in which the blood thickens because it contains too many red blood cells and too little clear fluid (plasma). It most often develops in middle-age men who smoke, have high blood pressure and take diuretics" This is a definition from the internet. Well his symptomsw were what i have read as common misdiagonses of celiac disease and he had a lot of digestive problems and bleeding ulcers and things like that... The problem is that he died 20 years ago and there isn't anyone alive in his family I could ask about this... I am just wondering if he could have had celiac disease and been misdiagnosed and that is where it came into our family.

I am sure I put this in the wrong area but I didn't know where else to put it since it is our son who has been diagnosed so far...

It was identified over a hundred years ago, but it seems that the US is WAY behind the curve in accurately diagnosing people. They tested back then, but almost exclusively in failure-to-thrive infants, and even then patients were never told it was a life long thing. Only in the past 5-10 years, since the advent of blood tests, has there been an improvement in this.

One of the doctors I have, who is well known internationally in his specialty (so other doctors don't actually think he's some sort of quack), has noted that he's talked to other doctors about a dietary link to the condition-spectrum he specializes in. Many of them just shrug it off as him being a Californian, and thinking that many of our health problems can be - at least in part - attributed to diet. Uh.... Yeah... The two of us had a good chuckle at that little anecdote. :-)

lol about the diet bit...

thanks for the info. I am curious if my father could have had it... he seemed to have a lot of the problems it causes... and i do to...