Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Eating Gluten

4 posts in this topic

I ate alot of gluten cooked food w/o knowing...how long will it take for my intestines t o began to start absorbing nutrients again?...

Ads by Google:

I would imagine it depends on your system. How severe are your symptoms, typically? For me, I get stomach cramps for about 3 days. As far as absorption, etc., I'm sure you're not back to square one. Have you checked with your doctor?

You're not going to completely wipe out the entirety of your digestive tract with one (albeit large) gluten accident. So I'd guess you might have slightly impared absorbtion for a few days, but I don't know that you'll notice. As for how long the symptoms can last - that varies greatly person to person (as does the amount of damage/duration of healing). For me, digestive symptoms last about two or three days, thick-headedness lasts half a day or so, and the rest of the symptoms (tiredness, irritability) last up to a week.

I usually have symptoms for about three days after I have ingested some gluten. I have found though that if I get really constipated the symptoms can last longer. If you are like me you should make sure and eat some extra fiber or take a laxative to help get it out of your body. When it is stuck in your body, I think that your symptoms are a lot worse and the duration is a lot longer. I don't know about the diarrhea thing that has never been one of my symptoms. Good luck! :rolleyes: