Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Frozen Veggies?

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

still being new to all of this, I was at the grocery store today and didn't think to ask if it is okay to buy any frozen veggies?(plain nothing on them) would they be manufactured in same places as wheat or anything? Also is buying any kind of rice okay? Or are some rices manufactured in same places as wheat? I just want to make sure I am not contaminating myself! Thanks

Rachel

Ads by Google:

You'd have to contact the individual manufacturers to determine whether or not foods are produced in facilities with gluten-containing foods or not. Of course, there's risk with most regular foods you eat that there is contamination (for example, FritoLays)....most companies will warn you of contamination, not necessarily because it's likely, but just in case you do get contaminated, they can't be blamed for not warning you. I have whatever rice is there and don't eat frozen veggies.....I'm not much of a vegetable person to begin with. Sorry I can't be of more assistance, but I'm not sure about the details with the rice manufacturing

There was a "rumor" about a company that used wheat in the fortification added to its rice, but I've never seen the source. I've not heard of any company confirm the use of wheat in any manner in rice, but when in doubt, do call the company. (Lundberg Farms says that theirs is gluten-free, I know that much, but they are often pricey.)

okay thanks, I just wasn't sure if I should even bother calling companies that distribute frozen veggies, if there is no contamination risk. Also, does anyone know if butterball deli meat is gluten free? I called and their business hours are mon-fri, I swore I read they were, and I ate some today, and didn't feel so well after consuming it

Rachel

i know that some oscar meyer meats are ok. i hadnt checked with butterball yet. im a big veggie person but most those conmpanies wouldnt really give me any type of answer. they said they dont provide lists just read the labels. even though im not sure form what i have been told from other people is that name brand veggies are okay. but im not sure. i still buy the name brand frozen veggies bc i gotta have my veg. sorry not much help. i havent called most comanies i just email them and i normally hear something back in a day or two.

christi

Oh, shoot, this is really frustrating.....I have an Oscar Mayer list of gluten-free foods, but I haven't been able to get into my aol for days.......I get e-mail from aol.com, but I can't get stuff from "my filing cabinet" or my favorites........I know I have their whole list, but I freeze up whenever I click on it--I'll get this straightened up in a few days, but I wish I could provide that list.........

Oscar Mayer is a division of Kraft, though, so they should follow the same labeling procedures....therefore, you should be able to find out by looking on the package. They have many gluten-free products, but you should read the labels..........if I get the list, I'll post it....

I don't know if you want to rely on my memory for this one :-D but I called Butterball while on a business trip once (since that's the brand of turkey I picked up to cook with that night), and they said that they always label wheat - the way Kraft does.

Thanks so much, hopefully the butterball was okay, I can't get ahold of any manufactures that I wanted to check on today, because of the holiday. I have had HORRIBLE luck with email, I have emailed several companies like horizon organic, and the company that makes the dish soap my mom uses, and others, and no reply in over a week!

Yeah......all the companies say that they're going to reply in 2-3 business days -- when I went on that e-mail spree I got some replies in that time, but I got one just a few days ago (that's like..........2 weeks later or something)......they take longer than they say they do.

Most companies aren't very good at e-mail, i find calling is much more effective

It's more effective if you need a quick answer, but I find that it's sometimes easiest to pull up a few websites and shoot out a standard e-mail to everyone -- depends on if I'm just asking generally or wanting a direct, quick answer