#1 morningstargirl

morningstargirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to make a favorite recipe of mine gluten-free. It's Campbell's Cheesy Chicken and Rice casserole. The recipe calls for a can of Campbell's Condensed Cream of Chicken soup. I can't find a gluten-free substitute for it at any of my local health food stores. I found one on-line, but I'm trying to make this for Saturday night. Does anyone know of a way to substitute condensed cream soups?

Also, what about spices, like onion powder or paprika? Are spices in a jar safe to use or is it more label reading (actually, I can't find ingredients listed on the organic spices I usually buy).

Thanks.

Connie
Connie

IBS 1985 (misdiagnosis)
Lactose Intolerant 1987 (misdiagnosis)
Seborrheic Dermatitis 1/06
Hormone Imbalance 2/06
Insulin Resistence 2/06
Systemic Lupus 2/06
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency 2/06
Gluten-free 11/06
Dx'd Enterolab 2/12/2007
HLA-DQ 2,1

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

Connie:

In terms of spices that only have one ingredient in them, say, paprika, oregano, thyme, etc. They are pure spices and don't list other ingredients (by FDA law, if there is only one ingredient, they don't need an ingredient list, as long as "it" is clearly listed on the front). If you are using spice mixes, say, a package for chili, or a packet that has spices for a marinade, or something for a sauce, THEN, you have to read ingredients.

I don't really have a c of chx recipe, per se, but I use Progresso's "Creamy Mushroom" soup (it is gluten free) for all of my "casserole" type dishes. I heat it on the stove and thicken it a little bit with some gluten free flour. I use it for green bean casserole, chicken tettrazini, you name it. My mom even uses it now for her stuff, she likes it better than "condensed" soups.

Hope this helps,
Laura

#3 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:30 PM

Connie:

I just looked this up. Cambell's USA Chicken Broccoli Cheese Chunky, 18 oz is listed as gluten free.

As Laura said, Progresso Cream of Muchroom is a staple in our house. It is good on it's own with a little cream sherry in it. :)

THE CAMPBELL SOUP INFORMATION IS NOT GLUTEN FREE FOR CANADIAN, JUST US.

Hope this helps.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#4 azmom

azmom

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:53 PM

I think Health Valley makes a gluten-free Cr of Mush & Cr of Chx. Haven't tried them, tho.
Good Luck!

#5 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

To make things like greenbean caserole. Here is a quick version of mushroom soup that I make. It is SUPER easy!

I took a large can (similar to reg. soup can) of mushroom pieces... poured the juice into a pan. I used my pampered chef food chopper and diced up the mushroom pieces into super fine (food processor would also work) and mixed until it was a glob of pureed mushrooms then thinned slightly with some milk. Warmed the mixture and added a bit of cornstarch to thicken. I've used this in gravies or sauces that normally call for a can of cream of mushroom soup and it works just as well. Season with some salt and pepper.....diced onion also adds a nice flavor.

-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#6 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 05:05 PM

Here is a link to my favorite cream of anything soup recipe. It is fairly easy, okay, not as easy as opening a can, but those days are over. I use it just like I normally would in my recipe.

http://www.gfutah.or...Cream Soup.html

Hez

#7 olalisa

olalisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 18 January 2007 - 08:56 PM

Here is a link to my favorite cream of anything soup recipe. It is fairly easy, okay, not as easy as opening a can, but those days are over. I use it just like I normally would in my recipe.

http://www.gfutah.or...Cream Soup.html

Hez

hez, I just found that recipe this weekend and used the cream of mushroom recipe in a casserole. Turned out GREAT!

That site has lots of good recipes and tips, by the way. Check it out, everybody! :)
dx by blood test and biopsy April 2006.
gluten free since, and avoiding dairy.

#8 Cheri A

Cheri A

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

Neat site... I'll have to bookmark that!

I also make my own creamy soup much like that recipe except I use chicken stock to make it dairy-free also.
Mom of:
Carleigh~ 10 years old, allergic to wheat, milk, peanuts, strawberries, and many EAs. She is currently soy-light and egg-light ~ celiac testing inconclusive by allergist.
Gluten-Free since 10/05 She's a gymnast. : )

Nick ~ 13 years old with no known allergies.

#9 dmpage

dmpage

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 08:02 AM

I made a cheesy chicken and rice casserole last night that was quite yummy.
I canít use any canned "cream of anything" soups because if they are gluten-free then they contain cornstarch instead, which doesn't work in our house.

First, I browned chicken breasts in olive oil in a large nonstick pan, then removed the chicken and added 2 cups rice and 4 cups water to the pan, then put the chicken back on top, cover and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to simmer and set the timer for 20 minutes. (Do not lift the lid during this time, just leave it at a low simmer and don't bother it!) Cooking the chicken and rice together gives the rice a nice flavor.

Meanwhile, in a separate pot, make a cheese sauce. Grate 8 oz of Cheddar cheese, or whatever kind you like. (I usually also add any odds and ends of different cheeses - we like it cheesy!) and set aside.
In the saucepan melt 1/2 stick of butter, and add the same amount of Sweet Rice Flour (4 Tbsp). Stir it around a bit till its well mixed and bubbly, then add a can of gluten-free chicken broth, or water and bouillon cubes. Stir well with a whisk, till smooth, and heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Add a cup or so of milk or cream. (If it is too thin, you may stir some more sweet rice flour into the milk before adding.) Return to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

When the timer goes off, remove the chicken from the pan, and stir in most of the cheese sauce. Put rice into a "Pammed" 9x13 casserole dish, top with chicken and remaining cheese sauce (and maybe a sprinkle of Paprika to make it pretty) and bake in a 350 oven till bubbly and browned, maybe 1/2 hour or so.

***Does that sound like a lot of work? It really isn't as big a deal as it looks when it's typed out like that! :rolleyes:

#10 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Connie:

I just looked this up. Cambell's USA Chicken Broccoli Cheese Chunky, 18 oz is listed as gluten free.
As Laura said, Progresso Cream of Muchroom is a staple in our house. It is good on it's own with a little cream sherry in it. :)

THE CAMPBELL SOUP INFORMATION IS NOT GLUTEN FREE FOR CANADIAN, JUST US.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Lisa, for pointing that out for the newbie Canadians who may be among us.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#11 morningstargirl

morningstargirl

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:37 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a just a tad late here in thanking everyone for their input! I did make my casserole that day thanks to the input I received here.

I was wondering... some of you said you looked it up and learned the Campbell's brand was gluten-free. Where did you find this info?

Again, thanks so much :D !

Connie
Connie

IBS 1985 (misdiagnosis)
Lactose Intolerant 1987 (misdiagnosis)
Seborrheic Dermatitis 1/06
Hormone Imbalance 2/06
Insulin Resistence 2/06
Systemic Lupus 2/06
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency 2/06
Gluten-free 11/06
Dx'd Enterolab 2/12/2007
HLA-DQ 2,1

#12 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:54 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a just a tad late here in thanking everyone for their input! I did make my casserole that day thanks to the input I received here.

I was wondering... some of you said you looked it up and learned the Campbell's brand was gluten-free. Where did you find this info?

Again, thanks so much :D !

Connie

I wrote the company and requested a list of their gluten free products. It came in the mail within a week. Also, If I remember correctly, it is on the Delifi Gluten Free Product List for 2006.

Chicken Broccoli Cheese
Savory Lentil..........are the only Campbell's Soups that are gluten free In the United State (not Canada)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#13 Michi8

Michi8

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:22 AM

I wrote the company and requested a list of their gluten free products. It came in the mail within a week. Also, If I remember correctly, it is on the Delifi Gluten Free Product List for 2006.

Chicken Broccoli Cheese
Savory Lentil..........are the only Campbell's Soups that are gluten free In the United State (not Canada)

Campbell's Bean & Bacon soup is gluten free too (at least in Canada!) But it does have MSG in it.

Michelle

#14 CarlaB

CarlaB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

I do almost what Happygirl does ... I use cream of mushroom soup and instead of thickening it with gluten-free flour, I let it simmer and reduce it so it's more condensed. I use the Health Valley. They also have a good cream of celery soup.
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#15 Cuervo

Cuervo

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 10:24 AM

How about the Progesso soup. Is it the same as the Campbell's not gluton free in Canada?
Its better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: