#1 HAPPY DOG SUZ

HAPPY DOG SUZ

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 12:22 PM

Aloha,
I was given these prescriptions before the celiac test came back positive.
does anyone know if these are ok to take on gluten free diet? Can't find them on celiac site as being ok or not. Thanks Suzanne

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 02:15 PM

Because manufacturing can change at any time, your best bet is to call the company who produced it directly. You may need to call your pharmacist, if it's a generic, to find out the company who manufactured the one you have.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 saraxi

saraxi

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 05:58 AM

Are there any medications that are KNOWN to have gluten? Is there any list out there of medications to be aware of? I, too have a question about amoxicillan ( penicilin). I seem to be having a recurrence of some symptoms from before I was diagnosed and am trying to figure out what is doing it. Thanks for any help!

Sara

#4 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 06:01 AM

Oh, definitely..........you have to be careful of everything.....prescriptions, aspirins, other medicines. For example, Gas-X has gluten, many aspirins do, etc. You need to be VERY careful with medicine.

#5 brehm48

brehm48

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 11:52 AM

Doxepin that is manufactured by Mylan I was told is gluten free. I contacted the company and they said that none of their medications are processed with gluten that they use only corn and potato starch in there processing, but that they don't actually test their products to see if they are gluten free. If that makes sense. But I have been taking it for a couple of months and have no side effects. I take the 10mg for anxiety and itching. Hope this helps. B)
Rebecca
Sometimes I feel like conquering the world
Other times I want to stay in bed.
gluten-free Since Dec 2002
positive dietary challenge
still testing

#6 hthorvald

hthorvald

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:40 PM

Clan Thompson (www.clanthompson.com) offers a drug list which lists many prescription and over the counter medications, lotions, and other items you'd find in a pharmacy, as either gluten free or not. And, they also list those products that are unknown either way. This list not only tells you if its gluten free or vegan, but it gives the manufacturer's name, phone number and the date they confirmed the gluten contents. There is a nominal charge for this list, but they offer a free sample to download. Or, if you prefer, there are printed booklets you can order. It doesn't necessarily speed up your trips to the grocery store or pharmacy, but it sure helps you with your purchasing decisions.

I have both their drug and food lists downloaded to my Palm Pilot, which makes shopping a lot easier than it used to. However, always read the ingredient list or check with the manufacturer to ensure that they haven't changed the ingredients to include glutens.
Helen Kendrick
Gluten free since 5/03/04

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: