5 replies to this topic

#1 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 01:54 AM

Thank you for contacting us about the presence of gluten in our Mott's products. Consumer inquiries such as this are appreciated because they provide valuable feedback about our brands.

Gluten is a mixture of complex proteins found in the grain of wheat, barley, oats, rye, rice, corn, and other grains. All of our Mott's sauce and juice products are gluten free except Mr. And Mrs. T Pina Colada and Clamato.

We appreciate your inquiry and hope you will continue to enjoy our brands. For more information about our company, please visit us on the web at www.motts.com.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

[THREAD ID:1-15EYVE]
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Corkdarrr

Corkdarrr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for posting their reply!
Courtney - 25
Columbia, SC

Gluten-free since July 8, 2006
Casein-free since October 16, 2006
Went six weeks, and fell back into a deliciously painful world of cheese.
Casein-free (again and for serious this time) December 11, 2006
Stupid cheese addiction....2/07

Dx Hypothyroid in 1993
Dx Gluten & Casein Sensitive through Enterolab 10/06
Dx Adrenal *Exhaustion* 2/07

Originally from WI, I am still in denial over my newfound casein intolerance. I fear I will not be allowed back into the state if I can no longer eat cheese and drink milk. This could pose some trouble over holidays when I wish to visit my family. It also poses a problem involving the severe rage I feel when I have to throw away somebody's unfinished cheese sticks. That is so wrong.

#3 RiceGuy

RiceGuy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:53 AM

I never doubted the applesauce was gluten-free, and it is my favorite. I only eat the natural unsweetened one. Never any flavored variety.

They should know better than to say corn and rice have gluten though. Apparently the idea that any sticky stuff is gluten is still out there, even with a company that should be better informed. Nice that they did respond though.
A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

I've always thought that corn and rice do have gluten--just not the type that Celiacs need to avoid.

Thanks, Deb--I eat their Natural Applesauce often! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 09:12 AM

Yes, that's what I heard, too. Rice and corn contain gluten, but not the one we need to avoid...
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

Mott's Granny Smith style had "natural flavors" in it and that concerned me, so hence the email to Mott and the response they gave to me. I always get cautious about the natural flavors. What if this is the one thing that they make that does have the gluten....

Glad to be of help to those who like applesauce products.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: