This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trip To Wisconsin Dells

angelsmom

angelsmom Newbie

I have been Gluten free for a whole 4 weeks. My family and I are taking a trip to Wisconsin Dells and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to eat? Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Viola 1 Rookie
I have been Gluten free for a whole 4 weeks. My family and I are taking a trip to Wisconsin Dells and I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on where to eat? Thanks!

I really can't help you in Wisconsin, however in general, if you have to eat in a restaurant in your travels, a steak house, or a family oriented restaurant is easier. At least where we are, as we don't have chain restaurants with glutne free menus here.

I usually stick with something like an omelet for breakfast or lunch, and something simple like a chicken breast with baked potato and steamed veggies. If you have a restaurant card it makes things much easier. I believe Nini has a Newbie kit on this forum somewhere. Ask Mother Goose, she knows where.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I don't know any specific places there, but like Viola suggested, plain foods are probably the safest. I once ordered a salmon dinner which was plain salmon cooked on tin foil (my request), plain rice, and vegetables (which I didn't eat becaue it looked like there was something else in them). I also ordered lobster and plain salad once.

I suggest to avoid things cooked in a sauce unless you ask about all the ingredients. I would be careful with soy sauce based foods as well. I also suggest eating at restaurants and not fast food places and going when it isn't busy.

angelsmom Newbie
I really can't help you in Wisconsin, however in general, if you have to eat in a restaurant in your travels, a steak house, or a family oriented restaurant is easier. At least where we are, as we don't have chain restaurants with glutne free menus here.

I usually stick with something like an omelet for breakfast or lunch, and something simple like a chicken breast with baked potato and steamed veggies. If you have a restaurant card it makes things much easier. I believe Nini has a Newbie kit on this forum somewhere. Ask Mother Goose, she knows where.

Thanks. I will do that. Thansk for your help.

bluejeangirl Contributor

I know in Madison they have a bakery that makes great gluten free bread. The address is 7866 Mineral Point Road Madison WE 53717. Their web site is www.sillyyakbakery.com/glutenfree.html

They have wonderful health-food stores that are nice and big with a large selection. Alot of ethnic food restaurants. But I would ask around at the bakery and healthfood stores and they can tell you.

Gail

Viola 1 Rookie
Alot of ethnic food restaurants. But I would ask around at the bakery and healthfood stores and they can tell you.

Gail

That's a good idea Gail, healthfood stores would likely know the safest places.

Jennas-auntie Apprentice

The Dells now has a Chicago Uno Grill-we ate there last year, it was pretty good. Here is their online gluten free menu information: Open Original Shared Link

Sorry I can't tell you more about other restaurants, wasn't there more than a day! Have fun-

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

I feel dumb asking this...are/is The Dells, a city or a region?

If it is a city, I have no information on restaurants. If there are surrounding cities, that I can look up.

Jennas-auntie Apprentice
I feel dumb asking this...are/is The Dells, a city or a region?

If it is a city, I have no information on restaurants. If there are surrounding cities, that I can look up.

Don't feel bad! The city is called Wisconsin Dells, WI-but most people in the tri-state area just call them the Dells, which leads to confusion. Sort of how local MNs call St. Paul/Minneapolis "The Twin Cities" or usually just "The Cities" which can lead to confusion on a national/international board like this one.

angelsmom Newbie

You are all so helpful. This is a wonderful site! I like The UNO restaurant. I ate at one in Chicago and seem to remember it being delicious. I think the breakfast suggestions were a great idea.

This site is a God send.

pajamama2 Apprentice

My husband has celiac. We've been gluten free since June 2006. We went to the Dells last summer. We packed a lot of food for him to eat. Bread, lunch meat, chips, peanut butter and jelly, etc. We stayed at Mount Olympus so when it was lunch time we went back to the room and ate. It worked out well for us. It was a lot to bring but gives him peace of mind knowing he's not going to get sick on vacation. A lot of times when we go to resturants to eat he will get a salad with chicken. Kraft dressings are good about labeling their foods.

Hope this helps!

Archived